5.8 Average

• Pet Area Pet Area no
  • Propane Available Propane Available no
  • Playground Playground no
  • Horseshoes Horseshoes no

Ask fellow campers about "Monterey Fairgrounds" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $50.00

This is a large asphalt parking lot in a convenient location In Monterey. It has plenty of room for large rigs, but we needed to use all of our electrical, water, and sewer extensions to reach the hookups at the rear of the space. There was plenty of room in our space to park our truck, but we had to park it in a wood chip parking area down the hill from the RV lot. It rained during most of our stay, so the parking area became rather muddy. It was about 55 degrees while we were there and the bathrooms were not heated. There was only 1 shower in each bathroom, but the shower was spacious and clean. Although we were able to level our RV, the sewer drain was uphill, so dumping was an adventure. If you just need a place to park your RV while you tour Monterey this is a good option at a good price. We would stay here again. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $50.00

I booked this online and was unable to get the discount until I checked in. The one request I made was to be put in a satellite friendly space. We were put in a spot under a 100 year oak tree with a horizontal branch that cleared our A/C by 2 inches. I tried to get a change into another more open location but the agent was totally unhelpful. Said if I didn't fit, he would give me a refund. The spot was on concrete but sloped downward which made it very difficult to dump! (We avoided dumping the black) The RV scraped going in and out of the entrance which the second time actually chewed through our supplemental tow cable. The Monterey airport is right next door and when a plane would go overhead, you couldn't hear a thing. They lock the gates at 5 p.m. each night and you have to pull your car off the road, get out and input a code to open the gate. We will never camp here again. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Covered Forested
Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $50.00

After leaving the Lodi area we wanted to go back to Monterey and stay to see more. This campground is a wood chip parking lot really close to down town so the location is what you are coming for. All the utilities worked great but are in the back and some on the wrong side. We are always prepared for that sort of thing. The couple running the facility are very very nice and helpful. For the most part you get a clear view for Dish and the Verizon cell service was medium strength. We got many local over the air stations. You back into very tight quarters if your neighbors are already in place. Be prepared for close quarters. The closest neighbors we have ever had but for a short stay to see more of the area, it was worth it. Expensive yes, but for the area, it is what you expect. Love being able to walk into town and convenient to drive down the coast to Big Sur or Carmel etc. Would come back for sure. Difficult to get reservations due to the small size and summer time but we stayed during the week at the last minute. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Fifth Wheel.

Monterey area food at the wharfs, Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row area. Lots of lovely walking on the Coast walk way - marine wild life everywhere. Drive down the 1 thru Carmel onto Big Sur. Really good spot to explore. Carmel farmers market on Tuesday. Wharf restaurants give samples of their clam chowder so you can taste a few. Great happy hours also on the Wharfs. The sandbar and grill yum.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $50.00

Spent less days than I reserved once I go there due to a terrible facility. To start with, they close the gates at 6PM so even if you have a reservation, you can't get in. They didn't tell me that in advance. Next, a huge undulation at the only entrance scraped the bottom of my motorhome and there were multiple gashes as deep as 2 inches from others so you will likely have an issue. OK, so I decided to take my bike to dinner to avoid the scraping but the gate opens automatically with the weight of a vehicle, not a bike ad no key pad on the inside of the gate. I was stuck for the night inside the park. All the sites are not only not level. They are undulated so I was never able to fully level my motorhome which has no stabilizers. They told me to go buy some wood at Home Depot. Really? Next, they only have one shower so I had to go back 3 times before it was available. Nowher to sit in the bathroom or anywhere to place anything. The shower was OK but the bathroom overall rarely sees cleaning. No cable available and the electrical hookups were crossed and water on opposing side. The bottom line is , you are paying to park at a parking lot site at a fairground kept up worse than a state park. This facility is a joint venture between the state and city and they hire a staff to manage it in exchange for a place to live. The only positive thing is the location is close enough to Monterey area and at least they don't call it a resort. Never again! Stay away! We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

first row left

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Featured Campgrounds Near Monterey Fairgrounds

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $45.00

Helpful friendly host. Entire blacktop parking area was sloped. Very difficult to get 'acceptably' level. Host offered extra ramps to help level. Bathroom was fine, just lots of flies. Bus stop was near and easy to get to the Aquarium. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Asphalt
Not big enough for my motorhome

If going to the Aquarium walk the half block to the bus stop on North Fremont in front of the Caruso's Corner. Jazz B, best one to take, delivers you block or so from the front door.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $50.00

I know a lot of people will gripe about this campground because, well, it's more parking lot than campground. And it's at a fairground. I'm a wilderness kind of girl, so location really matters to me. But I'm also a professional photographer - and location really matters to me. When I'm in the Monterey Bay area I like to be close to all of my favorite photography locations (not to mention good food and pubs) and this campground is the only one that fits the bill. It's centrally located, clean, very quiet, easy to navigate, has full hook-ups (a luxury for us!!), and safe as the gate is locked every night. We had no problem parking our rig and luckily, did not get hit by any golf balls. Yes, it is right next to the airport, but no, it is not loud. I am happy to give up beach access if it means I can be closer to Carmel, Asilomar, Pacific Grove, and Monterey attractions. The other campgrounds are either too far south or too far northeast for my liking. So, depending on your expectations and your needs, this is either a so-so campground or a great one. We feel it's juuuuuuusssst right. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Fifth Wheel.

Asphalt

Breakfast at Old Monterey Cafe is always a pleasure! There is also a great little French pastry shop near Munras that we thoroughly enjoyed. Flaherty's in Carmel is always a reasonably priced place to get a good seafood meal. Monterey has a great little Lebanese restaurant on Lighthouse Ave called Paprika Cafe, I have been going there for years and it is always a great experience. If it's a clear night, head out to Asilomar State Beach to watch the sunset, a view you won't soon forget!

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $50.00

DON'T STAY HERE. A construction company is using the fairgrounds as a staging area for a major street project. Trucks and equipment are coming and going all night long. You WILL NOT SLEEP. Not a level spot here. If you have a motorhome your front wheels will be in the air if you don't have blocks. The lower section is dirt and wood chips. A muddy mess when it rains. Dusty and dirty when it is dry. The upper section borders the golf course. Rigs are constantly getting hit by golf balls. Sites are very tight. There is a huge dip at the entrance. If your rig is low it will bottom out. This park has been neglected for many years. The fairground management does not care and will do nothing to improve it because it is the only game in town. Do yourself a favor and go 10 minutes north on Highway 1. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Lower section

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions
PCP

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $50.00

Nothing special apart from friendly welcome, and good price compared with other RV parks around Monteray (this was the most expensive site on a 19 day trip). Good WIFI. A little noisy as next to an airport. No fire pits or BBQs. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $45.00

Tight getting in and out. Sites are tight. Campground is 70 years old and has only added wifi (very poor) since opening. Nothing is level, every other site has connections on the wrong side. Not worth the price. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $45.00

Positives: The two hosts were friendly and helpful. The bathrooms and showers were very clean. Power was clean and water pressure was fine. Water was soft unlike my home in AZ where big rocks fall out of the faucet. Airport noise was negligible and the golfers must be improving because no balls came over the tall netting. The washer and dryer were practically brand new and cost was reasonable.

BIG Positive: It's close to everything Monterey. Bus stop is right outside and free trolley downtown runs regularly.

Negatives: Big dip at entrance is a tail dragger. We disconnected toad before arrival. On departure, didn't connect until outside park and even removed tow bar and drop, but still dragged skid angle irons. The shower hot water takes forever to get hot (5-8 minutes) which is odd since there are signs everywhere reminding people about CA drought. Each shower probably wastes 20-30 gallons.

BIG Negative: Sewer connections require 30' - 35' hose AND run uphill on one side of the park. Whoever designed this should be required to dump all guests' tanks for a year to learn why it's a "crappy" layout. Every space angles down about 6" for every 10' so our 16' wheelbase needed about 10", lifting the front wheels off the ground by 4 inches, not an optimal position. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2015 - $50.00

Stayed during Celtic Games in August. Park is convenient to Cannery Row, Carmel. Very low dip to enter, tight turns and low branches. Not able to park at space. Not level, bring wood to raise the front of coach. Need long sewer and power, at least 35 ft as sources are singular location for two spaces. Some spaces paved, others dirt and very dusty. Watch out for golf balls hitting coach. It's next to a course.

Worst, manager spoils the location. Booked on line which worked fine. Decided to extend two days & were told"sold out" by the manager. Checked on line booking and were able to book two days. Next day the manager knocked, telling us we must move in order to stay extra days. We agree. Moving day I went to the office to ask if our space was still booked, to which he got an attitude, rudely said yes. We moved but no one ever came into our old spot for the two days. He made us move because he could show his authority. During the extra days he harassed us over parking in front of coach to unload supplies. The day we left, while unhooking I spilled a few gals of water. He happened by, stopped, to tell me "watch your water use", then drove off in his golf cart. The park is barely a 4 rating but with this manager, it's a 2+ at best. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $45.00

Not the best place for motorhome towing a vehicle. Steep inclines, sharp turns, no pull through. All paved sites are taken up by long term residents. The overnighters get to stay in the dusty and dirty sites down the hill. If you want a place near the sites of Monterey, this will do but be prepared for what you get. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Easy to get to Fisherman's Wharf.

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $50.00

A campground has to be exceptional for me to rate it a 10. On the other hand it has to be really poor for me to rate it a 1 or 2. I gave the campground a 2 just because of location (plus voltage was a steady 120 volts). That being said, this is not really big rig friendly. A big dip coming in, so your going to drag, I removed my tow bar and did not hook up until I departed. They advertise wide sites, but our was only 15-16' wide, did not open slide on drivers side, so we would not infringe on our neighbors. Sites not level, so bring plenty of cribbing. Wife did a load of laundry (1 washer 1 dryer) and was satisfied. So unless you want to be close to Monterey, or have an event at the fairgrounds, I would suggest another campground. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $50.00

Absolute disgrace. The entry showed that obviously many vehicles had grounded upon entry or exiting, so very rough. The host has a table out front full of rubbish and a very untidy area. Very little room to maneuver into site which was very narrow. The (mens) toilet room was disgusting and over the 3 nights and 4 days we stayed it was never cleaned. Laundry has one washer, one dryer and no water or tubs. Worst bathroom facilities we have seen. Obviously this is just a money maker where the fairgrounds get the attention. Planes taking off and landing right overhead due to the airport next door and we had to sign a waiver in case of golf ball damage from the golf course over the fence. We would definitely not stay again or recommend this to anyone. In our opinion this is $30 per night overpriced and whoever is overseeing this facility needs to inspect other campground to see how it should be done. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: February, 2012 - $40.00

Call first to make a reservation before arriving. Access through fairgrounds gate 6. Site paved back-in and very unlevel. The campground is no more than a paved parking lot with a few trees. Utilities are shared between two sites. With only one power pedestal one RV gets 50 amp and the other 30 amp. One of the water taps leaked. Sewer drains recessed which worked well. No cable TV, but plenty of channels from antenna. Wi-Fi weak and useless half of the time. Adjacent airport meant a certain amount of noise beginning at 5:30 AM. One redeeming feature was its proximity to Monterey downtown; just a quick bus ride. We camped at Monterey Fairgrounds in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Monterey Fairgrounds

Are you affiliated with Monterey Fairgrounds ?