6.4 Average

Chebanse, Illinois 60922

• Public Phone Public Phone yes
  • Horseshoes Horseshoes no
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Kankakee South KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2019 - $47.00

Nice stop to wait out the weather. Staff was great . Very helpful and easy going. Park wasnt very busy and we enjoed our stay. Lots of shade and big beautiful red oaks. The showers were ok but not on par with most KOA campgrounds we have stayed with. Water is warm but shower curtain a little small for the opening and let in plenty of cool air; perhaps the showers are not climate controlled. No cable but wifi was good. Level spots even with gravel. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $45.00

This campground is super pretty and in a quiet area. We really were pleased that this KOA isn't off a busy highway. The spaces are very close together and we had to do some maneuvering around cars to get in. The gravel pad we landed on was fairly level and we had plenty of room to park our Jeep. The park itself is clean and had grassy areas, a laundry room, game room and activities for children. They were even giving hay rides when we arrived! The staff is very friendly as well. We had difficulty getting television, and WiFi was non-existent at night. Our cell service wasn't so great either. Our Verizon jet pack seemed to do better than anything. This would be a great place to stay, but the water was awful! The sulphur smelled so strong it smelled like I was showering in sewage. I couldn't cook or clean my RV because the water smell was so bad. I am glad we had some water already when we arrived. Needlesss to say, we did not fill up when we left. What a shame, too. There is very little camping near Chicago after the summer months. This place could be a gem. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Gravel, Grass

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches
wge

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $41.00

This park is not big rig friendly. I did get into my site put very difficult to get out. Lots of trees very limited sites where a satellite can be used. Friendly staff, did not use any facilities including the water. Water has sulfur and not willing to place any sulfur water into my system. Very crowded park lots of parked vehicles. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

B9

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested
Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $49.00

Our stay at this campground was enjoyable. We loved the family atmosphere on the weekend and the quiet weekdays. All roads are base and gravel material; some sites have cement pads, but most sites are gravel and grass. Most of the trailer sites are long pull-throughs and easy to maneuver a big rig. Each site is equipped with a fire pit and picnic table and are nestled under large, mature trees, which made for plenty of shade. Even with the trees, we were able to use satellite for our tv. Utilities were in good working order and located well for easy connection. Water pressure was excellent. They offer FHU, 50/30 amp electric; pull-through and back-in sites, tent sites, and deluxe rv sites. Other amenities onsite are a lovely, large game room, laundry room, outdoor volleyball/badminton, playscape, a common fire ring with porch-type swings, a propane filling station, dump station, and hay rides for the kids on the weekends. The only real draw backs to this campground were the stock car races on Friday night that could be heard well into the night, the lack of hiking or walking trails, and that as a standard KOA, the sites are rather close together. For those reasons I felt a 7 out of 10 was the best rating I could give for this park. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Grass

This park was our hub for day trips into Chicago; the location was exactly what we wanted. It took us about 1 hour to get into downtown Chicago from the park. The price of 49/per night is reflective of the weekend (2 nights) and weekday (4 nights) with our KOA discount.

Featured Campgrounds Near Kankakee South KOA

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $40.00

Used this as an overnight stop. Got there after hours and left at sunrise. The pull through site was long and level so we did not have to disconnect. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

b9

Only stopped overnight but it is close enough to use as a spot for day trips to Chicago.

jc2

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $40.00

Park was full and it was very apparent that their electrical grid was not able to keep up with the demand. Our site and 5 other folks that I talked with were having low power issues along with the main breaker in their tripping on occasion. We left a day early asI wasn't confertable with running my MH on questionable power. When I unplugged the power cord from the pedestal, it was so hot that the prongs put a blister on my hand when I grabbed it . Won't be back. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $45.00

This is a nice little park, out in the country, with lots of trees. We've stayed here before (only park near relatives in Kankakee). The pool is clean, the trees are shady and the folks at the front desk could not be nicer. They've recently expanded and have a large area in the back with pull thru sites and 50 amps. The water lines are heated, back there, and can accommodate winter visitors (a lot of wind farm workers and seasonal trades people stay here). It's about 20 minutes into Kankakee. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

B5

Sunny Open, Some Shade

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $36.00

Lots of trees and interior roads narrow and winding but ok for a big rig. Site was gravel and sloping but able to level OK. Lots of rain so mud everywhere. Had to ask for another site as first site would be impossible to get out with toad attached because of big tree and neighbor cars. Poor TV, park internet too slow to use. ATT and VZW hotspots usable but rather weak. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Covered Forested
Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $39.00

We needed a one night stay and washer/dryer traveling from southern IL to family north of Chicago. We asked to be moved to a site that we wouldn't have to unhook. They moved us graciously. The site was not level, was grass and sand. It worked. 4 washers and dryers, $1.50 each, no change machine. Office closes at 7pm. No grills, only fire pit. Sites are very close together. Neighbor's sewer is literally a few feet from your picnic table. No interest in eating outside. Bathrooms have spiders. Nice enough fixtures and private showers. Staff was very nice. Wifi didn't work. Asked staff and was told maybe/maybe not.... We came for laundry and wifi. Oops. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Tent Trailer.

Dirt, Sand, Grass
Just long enough for my tent trailer

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $33.00

One of the nicest KOAs we have stayed in. Other reviewers compared the park to a state park and I would have to agree. Out in the country so it is very quiet with many big trees. Can't use satellite for that reason. Sites are well spaced for a KOA. Staff is extremely helpful and friendly. We needed a little help with a tree issue when we pulled into our site and Dakota stayed with us until we got it solved. People in the park are so friendly. We would definitely return. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $45.00

The state park in the area was closed so we stayed here to visit relatives on the way west. The employees were friendly and gave us an upgraded site because of some work being done in the park. This is a relatively small campground. The entrance to the park is not well marked. Our site was shaded and had room for our motorhome and towed vehicle. The bathrooms and showers were clean but were out of date. I would stay here again only if state park was still closed. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $37.00

Nice wooded park with good size sites. It felt much like being in a state park. Wifi mostly worked well except at times when everyone wanted to be on it. Had to work at getting satellite dish in good location. Others had tv antennas up. Watch for low branches in some sites. Our first site had a large branch we did not think we could get under so they gave us another site. No road or train noise. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Gravel, Grass
Fire Ring, Picnic Table, Patio

Close to Kankakee for shopping and dining.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $30.00

Campground was very easy to find, about 3 miles off interstate. There are a variety of different campsites available. Our site was a nice size. There were trees around to make it more than an RV "parking lot", but not so many that satellite was impossible. They have sites that easily handle big rigs. There was plenty of room in our site for the truck, 5th wheel and jeep. Well maintained roads through the campground. Good Verizon coverage. We had good DirecTV satellite-but the manager made sure we knew it might not be a good signal. We will absolutely plan to stay here when we are in the area. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $36.00

Spent one night here because of the easy off/on to the interstate, to break our journey. Nice, quiet park. Escorted to our site, a level concrete pad with hook-ups easily accessible. The laundry facility was good and the pool clean. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $42.00

My wife and I stayed the weekend at reserved site 43. I was definitely pleased, as most of the campgrounds we've been to do not offer concrete pads. The overall stay was pleasant and very quiet. No problems with rowdy neighbors or uncontrolled kids. The pool, although small was definitely refreshing on a super hot day. The camp store had all the must haves, including ice cream, which is always great! The only reason I can't give a higher score is because of the really slow WiFi and lack of cable hook up. These are only minor annoyances though. My speed test on the network came back at 2.5 down and 2.0 up. Awesome for email, but you definitely won't be streaming movies anytime soon. A note on the water quality: I've seen numerous reviews cite the water as a concern being that it's too sulfuric. My grandparents always lived in rural Indiana and their water always tasted similar, so it's not really a big deal for me. Is it Evian spring water? No. Just normal well water that I doubt will cause any problems other than overreacting. We camped at Kankakee South KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Kankakee South KOA

Are you affiliated with Kankakee South KOA ?