4.8 Average

• Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • WiFi WiFi no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Camp Store Camp Store ?
  • Pet Area Pet Area ?
  • Propane Available Propane Available ?
  • Cafe / Snack Bar Cafe / Snack Bar ?
  • Firewood Available Firewood Available ?
  • Restrooms: vault Restrooms: vault yes
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Rec Room Rec Room ?
  • Fishing Fishing ?
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes
  • Water Access Water Access ?

Ask fellow campers about "Black Hawk State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $16.00

Immediately upon my arrival I was confronted by the campground hostess about the 5 mph speed limit in the campground. She said that she had two complaints about me driving fast. I was trying to find my site and didn't realize that maybe I was driving fast. I apologized profusely and told her I didn't realize I was driving too fast and I would slow down. She said I almost hit her grandchildren. (I saw the grandchildren riding recklessly through camp and had stopped long before they passed me). Again, I apologized, and she held out her hand and yelled at me "5 miles per hour". I found my site, was setting up and a gentlemen rides and tells me I need to slow down. I told him I had already been warned. He said he had a complaint that I was going 30 miles per hour through camp. I told him I could not have been going that fast. I asked him if he was the campground host and he said "yes". Now I may have going a little faster than 5 mph per hour but not much as I was looking for my name on the site posts. I had apologized told the hostess and the host that I would make sure I was driving 5 miles per hour, but they would not let up. I did not need to be talked to in that manner. As for the kids riding bikes in camp, they were darting in and out of sites and riding all over the roads, faster that 5 mph and without helmets. They could have hit a parked car and the driver would have been blamed for hitting them. This whole confrontation and attitude by the hostess and host upon my arrival cast a pallor over my whole week-end at the campground. The campground was nice, but the restrooms were dirty. There was a toilet missing in the men's restroom. The towns of Lakeview, Breda and Carroll were nice as was the ride on the Sauk Rail Trail. The rest of the people I met during the weekend on my bike rides were very nice. We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Tight Turns
CDG

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $16.00

Pulled in very late and took first available site. Woke up in the morning to find beautiful setting. Good area for walking/biking. We didn't get a chance to swim or kayak but that was available. Great pull through sites. Clean campground. Restrooms/showers are old but in ok shape. Free showers/hot water. We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Motorhome.

Site 1

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $16.00

BHSP's grounds, campsites, utilities, modern restroom/shower building(hot water, good pressure) were rustic but well-maintained and patrolled by DNR staff on a daily basis while we were there. Most non-lakefront sites were shady; there were about 10 pull-thrus. A dump station, potable water faucets, small playground, picnic shelter, beach, boat ramp, cabin were available. Our back-in electric site was level, graveled shady. We booked ahead thru Reserve America. 1st-come, walk-up self-registration sites are also available. (See their website for additional site, amenities, reservation info) The lake is shallow and being mostly surrounded by shore-front homes; has problems with strong algae growth from lawn fertilizer. They are using a paddle-wheel type boat that cuts off and scoops up the algae all day long to combat this. Also, a large resident Canada geese population regularly fertilizes the outer edges of the campground, so watch your step. Note - it looks like the parks Blossom Street address is for the rental cabin? It turns into S. State Rd which leads to Black Hawk State Park campground; approximately 2 miles past the cabin between Quincy Ave and Rolf Ave (M54) on the SE corner of the lake. We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Motorhome.

Its just a short drive into Lake View for supplies, groceries, gas, restaurants, pharmacy, etc.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $16.00

We booked online making the trip out west to South Dakota. We arrived in the evening traveling from KY. There was no one at the desk when we arrived and we never saw anyone in there for the two nights we stayed. We stayed there cause of the Sauk Rail Trail to ride the bikes on with the kids. Restrooms were clean but didn't seems like showers got cleaned as much. The water sits in the lake and there are bugs everywhere at night. The views are good and overall the park is ok. We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Sunny Open, Some Shade

Book online if you would like to stay as we never saw anyone in the office there. There was an envelope to place money in but that was about it

Featured Campgrounds Near Black Hawk State Park

Date of Stay: August, 2007 - $16.00

Party central . Quiet hours not enforced . Showers were so filthy we decided against using them , they were not cleaned the 3 days we stayed . Restrooms also uncleaned for the whole weekend . Mud everywhere . We left a day early and will not be back . We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2004 - $12.00

For the last 2 years, we have camped at this campground in the fall when visiting the Clay County Fair in Spencer (1 hour drive north of CG). It is a very nice little campground with several electrical sites (60). The showers are clean. What I liked: Very pretty campground on a nice little lake. Plenty of shade and a great atmosphere. In the fall, when we stay here, it is almost empty. In Sept 2003, I showed up on a Thursday and was the only person camping here. 2 other groups showed up on Friday and that was it. Nice restaurant located on the East side of the lake. Clean showers and bathroom. Dump station and potable water available. There is a beach and some near by hiking. What I don't like: The sites are very close together. Not sure I would want to stay here if it were busy. Perhaps it never gets really busy. Its not really near any large cities. Small playground. The lake, like many shallow Iowa lakes, can have a strong algae bloom in the hot parts of the summer and makes the water a little rude. Not sure I would use the beach when the water turns to pea-green soup. Water has been fine in the fall. I do have some pictures if I could post them somewhere We camped at Black Hawk State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Black Hawk State Park

Are you affiliated with Black Hawk State Park ?