High Plains Camping

Oakley, Kansas

462 US Highway 83
Oakley, Kansas 67748

• Group Camping Group Camping no
  • Propane Available Propane Available ?
  • Cafe / Snack Bar Cafe / Snack Bar yes
  • Playground Playground no
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "High Plains Camping" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2019 - $36.00

Nice level sites and laid-out nicely too. The dog could not walk on the grass without getting burrs not even a little. They would stick into my fingers when I pulled them off his pads. Otherwise we liked the place. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2019 - $35.00

Cap'n Jacks is awesome. Level sites -utilities worked. Came in at 6p and info available at office. Rarely use campground bathrooms BUT it was going to freeze that night and we don't have a heated hose so had to quickly fill water tank so we could shower. Have never been excluded from a campground bathroom - not reflected in price either. If you have pups, don't go here. Very spiky painful thorns everywhere. They say lead your dog, don't let him lead you. Thorns even on road. But the worst thing is the threat of cameras WATCHING you! Really? I think you need to get another job/business. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $40.00

I cannot rate the restrooms or the showers as to their cleanliness since they would not give a code to them since we have a bathroom in our rig. They say it's because of vandalism. They have the capabilities of changing the code as often as they want - but it's easier to refuse their paying customers the use of their facilities. This is the only campground that we have visited with this policy. Do yourself a favor and keep going. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $38.00

Campground was adequate for a night's stay. Hot and windy July and placed at back of campground. Had to beg for the bathroom code as we were in a class c and it certainly came in handy when we were at the swimming pool! We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Grass

Featured Campgrounds Near High Plains Camping

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $39.00

I read the other reviews about this campground. Yes, the owners are a little quirky but they were nice. Yes, they say if you have a bathroom in your rig you don't need to use theirs. I can't remember the last time I used a campground bathroom, so it didn't bother us. Our site was very long and level. The utilities worked well. Easy on and off the interstate. The pub was closed so we couldn't try that. We would stay here again. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $35.00

We've stayed here before while passing through to to other destinations. It is a clean park and has a great restuarant on site. Everything has always worked and the park is clean and easily accessible from the highway. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $44.00

A big open field, no trees anywhere. Gravel pads, but all very level. Full hookups. Good enough place to stay overnight, though a bit pricey. Claims to fame: Cap'n Jacks Bar and Grill - delicious, not expensive food! Huge library of DVDs to borrow. There is a laundry, we didn't use it. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Travel Trailer.

Do eat at Cap'n Jacks. There is a variety, all fixed then and there. I had the fried flounder, hubby the ribs, both of us totally pleased with our meals. The green beans that came with the flounder were to die for! Pick your day of the week - they are closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $45.00

High Plains "RV Resort" Wish I would have read the negative reviews before coming here. This place COULD be great if managed right. Has all the infrastructure for a promising Park, but is shabby, dirty and needs work. Owners have a patronizing, condescending attitude. After the rude greeting upon arriving and checking in, we asked where the restrooms & showers were. The woman explained to us that she was sure we had a very nice bathroom in our RV, therefore we did not need to use theirs! I was so shocked by this response, I asked again for clarification, figuring I must have misunderstood. She again stated that RVers are expected to use their own bathroom if they have one. After explaining that we'd never heard of such a thing in 25 years of motorhoming, she reluctantly gave us the key code, saying that most people "trash" their bathrooms, and that we should "walk in their shoes" for a week to see how terrible their guests are. We were then directed to the other side of the counter so her husband could explain the 2-page rules and regulations document. At this point we figured silence was the best option, so parked in our designated spot, and slept for the night. The next morning, we went to take a shower figuring that these restrooms/ showers must be especially nice if they where so concerned about people ruining them. Wow. 5 or 6 signs taped to the mirror greeted me. One of the signs had diagrams illustrating the proper way to use a toilet. Seriously! (PHOTOS ATTACHED) Both shower drains in the "group" shower stall were plugged with hair! I took a paper towel and cleaned both of them out so I could shower. SO gross. Guess instead of maintaining their restrooms, it's just easier to keep people out. Wouldn't have been as bad if the owners didn't have such bad attitudes, and treated their customers with respect rather than disdain. They call themselves an "RV Resort" because it sounds good, but it's really just another dumpy campground. Keep driving. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Back
Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $40.00

Easy entrance to campground. Very pleasant lady checked us in. Our spot was a bit short for the 40 ft motorhome and toad, but it worked. Easy hookups and ample water pressure and electric amps. This is a good overnight campground and would stay again if in the area. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $39.00

This is a good campground for an overnight stop. It is very easy in-and-out and close to I-70. The roads and pads are gravel, and it was a bit messy due to a lot of rain. The pad was level, and we had no satellite issues. The owner/host came out to help position us on the site. The utilities were centrally located and convenient. At check-in, the host mentioned several amenities that might have been enjoyable in a longer stay. We would consider staying here again if we are in the area. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

102B

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $34.00

We spent 7 nights in a pull thru site (408) best site in park. All sites are pull-throughs. Campground is back in an open field with trees bordering 3 sides. Rabbits and birds each day. CG office was a mess needs a lot or cleaning! Most grass in park needed mowing. Owners do not let campers use showers or restrooms if you own a Motorhome or trailer equipped with facilities.Best surprise was a restaurant and bar (owned by park), Captn' Jacks....Best food they have fresh flown in daily from Maryland, some of the best crab cakes ever! Campground on intersection of I70 and 83 so most are 1 nighters. We would stay there again if in the area. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

No need to leave this RV park to get great food. Capt'n Jacks is right on site. Also outside park is a steakhouse , we didn't go.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $44.00

I like that the whole park is non smoking. The roads and sites are gravel and we were there after a very rainy spell and they held up very well. We were in the back area and site was very good for an overnight or longer. The pub was closed the 2 nights we were there but in the past was excellent. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

The park was nice but I will probably not stay there again. They did not want us to use their restrooms. The male manager told us that they had full hookups so we did not need to use their restrooms. The mosquitoes were absolutely horrible. They swarmed us and invaded all of our open cargo areas. I have never seen mosquitoes in such large quantities in an RV park. They loaned us a cable cord and let us borrow two videos. They opened the hot tub for us but we chose not to use it. The restrooom issues and the mosquitoes are reason enough not to return here. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

Looks like the place could use some updating. We didn't use any of their facilities as this was just for overnight. Lots of weeds around, site was grass with gravel road. It was fine for us but if it's been raining I could see it could become a muddy mess. They have 16 sites at the back for overnighters, and the rest are for semi permanent pipe line workers and wind farm employees. As previously stated it's not what I consider a resort but it's good for an overnight stay. Convenient restaurant on site and we thought the food was good. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Motorhome.

Grass

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $40.00

This is a convenient location and probably the best choice in the area. The check-in was very efficient but somewhat abrupt. Our mostly level pull-thru site was a combination of grass, gravel and mud. The recent rain required use of 4WD into and out of the slick, mushy site. Building up the sites with more gravel should eliminate the mud problem. We had no fire ring and no picnic table, but didn't need them for our overnight stay. The sites in our row were somewhat close together, but manageable. Utilities were located well and worked well. There was some road noise from I-70 and US 83. Be aware there are a lot of cedar trees if you are sensitive. There is an expansive open area that is great for walking dogs. If you watch out for the stickers, they will not pose a significant problem for pets. We would probably stay here again if in the area. We camped at High Plains Camping in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Featured Campgrounds Near High Plains Camping

Are you affiliated with High Plains Camping ?