Prairie Island Campground

Winona, Minnesota

1120 Prairie Island Rd N
Winona, Minnesota 55987

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access ?
  • Boondocking Boondocking yes
  • Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Sewer Sewer ?
  • Cable/Sat. TV Hookup Cable/Sat. TV Hookup ?
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities ?
  • Pet Area Pet Area no
  • Propane Available Propane Available ?
  • Restrooms: vault Restrooms: vault yes
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes

Ask fellow campers about "Prairie Island Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $35.00

Great events - live music on a houseboat! Friendly, a bit of a hip vibe. Lovely gardens, right on the river and in the park. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Grass

Check out the Marine Art Museum which has a ton of important work - and Trempealeau Wildlife Refuge nearby is gorgeous.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $35.00

Since I was here 3 years ago the electrical has been updated with all new pedestals. There used to be a water line laying on the ground between the sites at the back of the site. Now there are 4 by 4 posts that are maybe 60 feet apart that have 4 spigots. So you might need extra hoses. Some muddy spots when it rains but the sites are all pretty level. Site 103 has a view of the tributary of the Miss River. Some train noise but not bad. Bring bug spray. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

Grass

Watkins Products Museum in town, Pickwick Historic Mill south of town. Gavin Heights Overlook is worth the short drive to get a view of the town and river. We went to the Restored Blessings Resale shop on the north end of town and everyone in the group found a treasure in this large thrift store. Between Wal-Mart, Menards and Fleet Farm you should be able to find most anything you need.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $29.00

Rate seemed fair for water and electric only. Site was big and lake side; there were no unexpected extra fees.

A little confusing finding site; explanation was rushed and confusing. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Travel Trailer.

20B

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $25.00

We were satisfied with the park. The gentleman at the information desk at the beginning was polite, and check in was quick, since I had called earlier in the week. The layout/numbering of the sites was a little confusing. Due to looking online, I had a general idea where my site was, but the signs were very small, and looked like they were still in the process of restructuring. When I initially hooked up my electricity, i wasn't sure if I was using the right box, it had my site number, but also had two other site numbers. The water hookup was similarly confusing. I ended up disconnecting a permanent residents pressure washer gun (I did reconnect it when I left) and hooking in that way. We weren't sure if the lines were owned by the campground or the other residents.

The site was moderately clean. There was some small litter, but nothing that upset us too much. The site was very large in width, which was nice. Having a picnic table and fire pit was also good. The WiFi had recently been boosted and reached our site on the river, good enough to watch Netflix when going to bed (a few buffering breaks).

Our biggest complaint would be noise. The train rolls through pretty frequently. Not only that, but I don't believe there is a "quiet time," since some of our neighbors were up pretty late partying.

We weren't overly impressed with the grounds, and aren't likely to stay again, but wouldn't be opposed if we were in the area and needed someplace to stay for the night while traveling through. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Prairie Island Campground

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $25.00

The sites are level, grassy, each with a picnic table and fire ring. Lots of trees and free Wi-Fi, fast enough at times to stream NETFLIX and HBO. As people noted, the water is a large hose run to all sites, with splitters. When everyone is using the water, the pressure can be low, so we simply filled our tank and used our pump. As for being potable, I'm sure it was, but we NEVER drink water out of our tanks anyway. I'm not sure why a person would think that the flooding would affect the safety of the water any more than the fact that the main hydrants are in the ground to start with? You are either in the first row, only 20' or so from the secondary channel of the Mississippi River, or in one of the two next rows, which still put you with a pretty doggone good view for $25 a night! Yes, there are plenty of permanent RVs, locals who spend their weekends, but the place has always been kept up well over the years. We probably come every 5-7 years and have never seen it with overgrown vegetation. Perhaps flooding would be affecting maintenance occasionally, but as a rule, they were pretty much mowing somewhere the entire week we were there this time. As for picking your own site, it was busy when we were there and I had reserved ahead of time, so I didn't have that option. OTOH, how can you complain that you get to pick which site you want? Seriously, I'd sure have picked a heck of a lot of different sites than I've been shoved into at other parks. This place had extensive, and I mean EXTENSIVE, playground areas off to the side. It was and always has been one of our favorite places to stay when we are in the area and I would rather hook up to a garden hose than pay another $10-15 a night to only have the short hose (still a hose!) between a hydrant and my rig. The campground closes to outsiders at 10:00 p.m. and was quiet for the entire week we were there. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

20B
Grass

Winona and the surrounding area have many historic buildings, restaurants, etc. We suggest a drive on the Great River Road, starting by crossing to Wisconsin, taking a left towards Fountain City, WI, following it all the way to HWY 63, crossing at Red Wing, MN and driving all the way back to Winona. You will be treated with quaint small towns, great river views, and a pleasing easy drive that, if you take your time, you can stretch into most of a day.

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $24.00

Because the CG is on the inside of the levee it is close to the Mississippi River and prone to flooding. It is probably one of the strangest parks we have stayed in. When we got there most of the permanent residents had moved out because of a flood and were expected back at any time. The man in the office was a little rattled and confused. The restrooms were modern but could have used some extra cleaning. The free WIFI was fast and reliable. Lots of gnats and flies. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $21.00

A place to park if you can find a site. Most sites are taken by full time residents. Grass needs mowing and a general fixup. Young man in charge was very helpful and showed me a map with the sites to choose. Because of the price would stay here again. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2011 - $22.00

This is a city owned/managed park. The interior roads are paved and the camp sites are all grass, fairly level with lots of shade trees. We did not use the restrooms but they looked to be primitive. Check-in was conducted by a young man who seemed to care less, gave us a list of 4 sites that might be open and to drive by and find one that we liked and to check back and let him know which one we selected. Overall we were not too impressed, but if we had to we would stay here again. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2010 - $19.00

As has been mentioned in previous reviews, this campground has a strange setup for delivery of water to campsites. Hoses are laid on top of the ground with tees running to each site. I chose not to utilize this system as I had concerns about the safety of this supply. The campground is on the Mississippi River side of the levee, so it is prone to flooding. In addition, a major railroad line is located across the river and was quite noisy at all hours of the day and night during my stay in the fall (the leaves were off the trees). Although the manager was both friendly and helpful, I’ll skip this park on my next visit to the area. The rate shown was for a week’s stay. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2010 - $21.00

Prairie Island Campground is a nice city run campground that is older but quite beautiful. Several of the sites along the Mississippi River were under 2 to 4 feet of water when we were there but we still managed to score a site above water and right on the river. The thing I thought was interesting was that the water they advertise is actually white camper hose, run from a spigot to behind all the campsites where they installed a bunch of splitters for us to hook up to. Not much for water pressure but it works and I guess that's what counts. The young man who checked us in could use a class on manners, like how to say "thank you" and "your welcome," but I guess that's how the younger generation is now days. One particular thing I liked is that the dump station concrete apron is angled so when you hook up your sewer hose the tanks drain quite quickly and completely. I like this small feature. This is a nice quiet campground that we could visit again if we were in the area. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2010 - $23.00

Located on the Mississippi River. The manager is very friendly. No WiFi. The sites are very spacious and level. We rode our bikes into Winona, which is about 2 miles away. Nice park down the street. There is a boat ramp and wildlife refuge next to this campground. Has fire rings at all sites. No supplies to speak of at the office. We camped at Prairie Island Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Prairie Island Campground

Are you affiliated with Prairie Island Campground ?