Billings KOA

Billings, Montana

547 Garden Avenue
Billings, Montana 59101

• Water Spigot Water Spigot ?
  • Cafe / Snack Bar Cafe / Snack Bar yes
  • Group Kitchen Group Kitchen yes
  • Picnic Shelter Picnic Shelter ?
  • Rec Room Rec Room ?
  • Biking Biking yes
  • Mini-Golf Mini-Golf yes

Ask fellow campers about "Billings KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $53.00

This KOA doesn't answer phone. Tried few times from road to ask if could arrive an hr. earlier than late check-in of 3. No answer. Arrived early & wasn't a prob. Informed me had water/elec- no sewer. I thought I reserved 50 amp with full hook-ups. Asked for full hook-ups, there weren't any. He wasn't very nice just said no. Was only here for a few days so was ok with that. Pulled into site assigned me, I wasn't ok with it. Was tight width-wise & not long enough to fit both truck & trailer. Had to pull trailer up enough to miss a tree w/the slide which made site even shorter. Asked at office if there was any overflow parking, again no. There were 6 spots for visitors cars, parked there the 1st night. The 2nd night-no spots at the visitors area, I had to wedge my truck in at an angle. Hoped my left-side neighbor didn't have to leave early in the morn. I guess the size of the site was the worst problem. There's only a narrow road separating the rows of trailers & there isn't much wiggle room to maneuver your trailer to leave. In the morning I had to wait for my neighbor on the right to leave before I could pull out & he was waiting for the neighbor on his right to move. Fortunately, we were all able to leave shortly after 10. Thought when I reserved a site at the World's 1st KOA that it would be a showcase. Our half of the park was not, but we went for a walk around the park the evening before & to our surprise there's a great new section on the opposite side of the park. There's spacious lots, large patios & full hook-ups. It's like night & day between 2 sides of the park. If you wish to stay at this KOA-make sure you reserve the new section. We had a completely different experience during our stay than I'm sure the RV'ers had on the new half of the park. As for the other amenities, the unisex bathrooms & showers were nice, the grounds around the office, pool, were well maintained. Our side wasn't as nicely manicured as the new side. There's a BBQ restaurant on-site, it's pretty costly. We camped at Billings KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $48.00

We stayed four nights in this park but had two sites. I had reserved a site months before coming to Billings so we could visit friends. Now I see how wise that was because this is the week of the Sturgis Bike Rally and people are driving through so the park has been fully booked every night. We wanted to stay an extra night so we had to move to another site. As others have noted this is the first KOA in the US. One half of the campground was probably the first part built. It was built when rigs were smaller and they work hard to accomodate large rigs. The other half of the park had FHU and larger and patio sites. Neither of our two sites had sewer. Our first site (164) was a back in and we did have to unhook but we had a lovely view of a pond behind us. The park is far enough away from the highway so road noise is non-existant. Our second site (125) was a pull through and we were able to stay connected in the barely long enough site. In spite of the huge number of people the park staff try hard to keep this park clean including rest rooms and showers and there are plenty of those for the whole park. I did not use the laundry. The park has lots for children, a clean pool, miniature golf and playground. They also have an outdoor restaurant which serves breakfast and dinners plus ice cream in the evening. Streets are narrow so hook up and pulling out were challenging but not impossible. Wifi was off and on but Verizon signal was good and they supply cable TV. They also have a large tent area nicely tucked away from the RV sections. I would stay here again but would try to pick a less busy season. We camped at Billings KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Grass

We tried two very good restaurants. One was Juliano's which is inside what looks to be a private home but beautifully done and all the old woodwork and fireplaces, and stained glass windows left. Food was wonderful. Another one was Cafe Zydeco which is cajun food at it's best, right in the heart of town. Be sure to drive out to Pompey's Pillar to learn about the Lewis and Clark expedition, very well done park.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $80.00

This is the 1st KOA ever made, it is a nice well kept park. There is one drawback and that a lot of the trees are Cottonwoods and they were spreading there cotton everywhere. As with all KOA's they are a bit overpriced. We camped at Billings KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $53.00

This is one of the best KOAs we have stayed at. Facilities are really good. We stayed close to the lake and had plenty of room in our site. The short trail to Yellowstone River is a bit tricky, but the river itself is awesome. Here's my only complaint. I left behind a couple of items in the shower house, and I sent an email to the KOA asking if they had been found. No one returned my email. We camped at Billings KOA in a Tent Trailer.

Grass
Long enough for my tent trailer and tow vehicle

Featured Campgrounds Near Billings KOA

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $77.00

This was a return trip, we last stayed here two years ago. This time we were assigned a full hook-up, pull through site in the northern end of the grounds, well away from the office and other activity areas ... which was good, less noise making for a quiet stay. Fairly easy access getting our rig to the site. While the staff work to keep the trees trimmed, some careful maneuvering is still required to avoid tree limbs. Helpful staff, good sky access for satellite and the wi-fi system was acceptable. This is one of the premier KOA sites around the country, it will certainly part of our plans for future trips through the region. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $49.00

If you have a big rig, get the patio sites. We didn't, and had a tough time getting into the assigned pull through. Much because they allowed cars to park close to the road. The smaller pull throughs are too short for a 45ft with tow car attached, you have to unhook. But power and water were fine, but we would look elsewhere if we are back in this area. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Obstacles

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $42.00

This is the world's first KOA, and they are proud of it. The check in was friendly. This is a nice looking KOA. It's convenient to I-90. It's far enough away so we didn't notice any traffic noise. Site 146 was one of the older back-in sites with a right angle entry. They also have some nice pull-through deluxe patio sites. There is a short trail to the river. There are a lot of tall trees. The miniature golf area had water features and was attractive. The enclosed dog area is gravel instead of grass. We noticed this at Montana rest stops as well. The bathrooms and showers are new, tiled, and nice. Shower rooms are private and have a shower, sink, and toilet. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $55.00

We were here just overnight so not much to say. I recall the park being clean and the staff friendly. Close to the freeway. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $65.00

We have found this to be one of the most attractive KOA parks we have stayed in. Staff is very welcoming and helpful. Many amenities for travelers. The sandstone cliffs are a pleasant bonus to this woodsy environment. We enjoyed staying here. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $57.00

Once off I-90 you have a short drive on a very narrow neighborhood street. As we pulled in we saw the sign that said, "1st KOA in the U.S. established 1962". That was a shocker. As we looked over the grounds however everything looked very clean and maintained. But since built back then, just like many older campgrounds, the roads and sites now have tight turns for larger RV's especially in the older sites. Check in was very quick and we found our premium site #50 very easily. It was long enough even after disconnecting. Adequate spacing at this site; along with grass between each other. There are also tall trees in many sites to provide shade. Next to the Office is a very nice 9-hole Mini Golf, but they charge $5.00 to play. Park is along the Yellowstone River, with a small dirt pathway to lead you to it. Cable reception good with lots of channels, although some a little snowy. Wi-Fi worked very well for us. Did not use bathrooms, showers or laundry. The pricing is much higher than we have seen even for other KOA parks, so KOA discount helped. NOTE: other Parks nearby also had comparable high pricing, but their reviews were not as good as this one. We camped at Billings KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Nearby, Very Close
2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $47.00

Beautiful grounds, lots of green grass. We stayed in space 162. We only needed electric and water since we are staying one night. Cable tv came in wonderfully. Nice pull through with clean fireplace pit, oversize colored cement patio. A large bench swing with a beautiful bird soaring among the trees on the back of the bench. The porch bench swing can be moved easily on the cement pad. Picnic tables are better quality than most parks. Staff extremely helpful. Park staff was excellent checking us in and was superb assisting us getting connected to the free WiFi. Park is dog friendly. Swimming pool and spa very clean as well as the laundromat. We did not go into the bathrooms or showers so can't comment. Love this place!!!!! We camped at Billings KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $63.00

This park seems well managed but seems a little pricey. Our site was good but was tight and did not have sewer. The other utilities work well. The WiFi was a little slow. The driveways are narrow, paved and surprisingly easy to navigate. There was a small tree on our site that looked like some kind of oak that attracted wasps/yellowjackets in large numbers. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $59.00

Once off I-90 you have a short drive on a very narrow street. KOA has provided great signage, so no issues getting lost. like most KOAs, we found the price less than a value, the park was extremely nice. The service was friendly and helpful, camp was clean, and sites were fine, if a bit narrow. The Put Put golf course on site hand a minimal charge of $5 and was a great amount of fun. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $82.00

Supposed to be first KOA. Probably. It was OK but per most older campgrounds tight. It was spotless and in excellent condition. I do not have children so can't comment how children would like it. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $55.00

An easy on/off to the interstate campground. Our site did not have a dump, so we paid a bit less than if a dump site would have been available. We were here on the way to Glacier. I thought this was a great campground. Plenty to do if you wanted to-swimming pool, miniature golf, a nightly bbq, and ice cream café. A very spacious and overall clean place. My only real complaint-I looked into the showers (which were very nice), and they were dirty. All of them. Maybe the showers were cleaned in the early morning, and the campers/shower users were inconsiderate, but this place was nice, so I would have thought that someone would have come around to do an afternoon touch-up. Sites were a bit close, but not jammed packed. We camped at Billings KOA in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Billings KOA

Are you affiliated with Billings KOA ?