Sampson State Park

Romulus, New York

6096 State Route 96A
Romulus, New York 14541

• Pull-thru Sites Pull-thru Sites no
  • Cabins / Cottages / Yurts Cabins / Cottages / Yurts ?
  • Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Electric (30 AMP) Electric (30 AMP) yes
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Water Water no
  • WiFi WiFi no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities ?
  • Camp Store Camp Store ?
  • Pet Area Pet Area ?
  • Propane Available Propane Available ?
  • Picnic Shelter Picnic Shelter ?
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Sampson State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $35.00

Nice big spaces. The other reviews are correct, shared electric posts make an extension cord a must. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

We went to Many wineries in the area. But the best recommendation is the Watkins Glen State Park gorge trail, a must see, one of the most beautiful sites we've seen.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $29.00

We stayed here for 3 nights as we'd always heard how pretty the finger lakes area was. We liked this park because it was in a rural area and yet right on the lake. One note of caution is that if you come to the park from the north on 96A, there is a low-clearance railroad bridge (12' 11"). Take Deal Rd to the right, then left on. Lake Rd, then left on Kennedy and that will take you around it. We had a nice, shady spot with a fire ring and picnic table. You will need a longer electrical cable since the boxes are on shared pedestals and ours was on the opposite side of our connection point. You will most likely need to fill before coming to your site unless you have a lot of hose. Only a few spigots in the Campground. You can fill at the fresh water spigot near the dump stations, which was easy for us. No waiting for either the fill station on arrival or the dump station on departure, but we arrived Sunday evening and departed Wednesday morning before 9am. Overall very nice place and we would camp here again if in the area. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

34 -Loop 1

Don't miss Watkins Glen State Park in Watkins Glen, NY. Sampson has a beach area For swimming if you like that. Great place to watch the sunset over the lake, too.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $30.00

A very large state park on an old Naval training base. There aren't a lot of trees and the sites are not very uniform. Must watch out for wet areas as the gravel pads are not well defined. This was right in the middle of the Finger Lakes region, so lots to do in the area. The weekend that we were there got very busy, crowded and noisy, but by Sunday night most of the campground was empty again. The bathrooms had a large outdoor "campers" sink to wash dishes. Fill up your fresh water and dump your grey/black tanks before arrival. It's a very busy dump station. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

We visited Corning Glass Museum, Glenn Curtiss Aviation Museum and lots of wineries in the area. There is also a military museum on site, which is interesting. We also took a day trip to Watkins Glen State Park.

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $28.00

The campground is set upon a former Naval Training Facility. Great history surrounding that aspect of the facility. The campgrounds are what you would expect for the price. Make sure you bring an extension power cord and most will not reach the pedestal. I saw 3 major drawbacks. The campground has close to 300 sites and most of the people who stay there have a camper of some sort. There were only a handful (4-5) of water spigots in the loop of 50 sites. In addition when you arrive there was only 1 spigot to fill up with potable water. It was over an hour wait on a Thursday afternoon. There were only 2 dump stations for the entire campground as well. There were at least 20 campers lined up. The site housed the 2nd largest Naval training facility in the country at one time. 1000's of men were housed here. There has to be more capabilities for dump stations and water fill ups. Finally, the bath house/toilets are located at the center of each loop which is fine, but there are no gravel access trails or roads that lead to the building. You basically have to walk through someone's campsite to get there. This is a huge violation or camper/campsite etiquette. People were good about it, but it could have been easily remedied with a load of gravel. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Loop 5 site244

Windmill Market near Penn Yan (only open on Saturdays) Oak Hill Market (closed Sundays) Numerous wineries A few breweries.

Featured Campgrounds Near Sampson State Park

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $28.00

We stayed at Sampson State Park for a week in June and loved it! We had a nice shady, somewhat level and very spacious campsite in Loop 2. There are several water spigots in the center of each loop so, if you have enough hose or are close enough, you can fill your water tanks at your campsite. Otherwise, you will need to fill up at the dump station on your way in. Each site shares an electric pedestal, so you will probably need an extension cord for your power connection. The state park used to be an old Navy and Air Force base back during WWII and the Korean war. There are numerous roads (some not kept up very well) all around the state park so you can ride your bike for miles in the park itself. We visited the Museum on a day they were closed so we weren't able to see the inside, but enjoyed wandering around the outside looking at the memorials and artifacts. There are several geocaches hidden within the park if you are into geocaching. The only negative part to our experience was the fact that there are no rules dictating which way campers can pull into their sites; therefore, people were parked sideways and backwards in sites that should be typical back-in sites. I'm sure some do it because of the distance to the power pedestals, but our neighbors parked backwards in their site so that their front door was facing our front door. A bit uncomfortable when you are sitting out in front of your camper and staring right at other people. Only two trailers can dump at one time. Sunday morning check out was a nightmare for some with trailers lined up down the road waiting to dump. Other than that, the stay was great and we would definitely come back if in the area. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Grass

We visited one winery and a brewery and enjoyed both. We wanted to take our bikes to ride the Black Diamond rail trail and visit Taughannock Park near Ithaca, but we had an emergency with one of our dogs that took up a couple of days during our visit. In case of emergency, can highly recommend Canandaigua Veterinary Hospital for your pet.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $32.00

Very nice campground. Two dump stations near exit. Would definitely stay here again. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt
Picnic Table, Fire Ring

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $29.00

We had a back in Site 34 in Loop 1 with 30 AMP. You have to fill up your water tank near the dump station. There is no sewer hookup. The showers and bathrooms were clean and tiled. The park is huge with a beach along Seneca Lake, biking trails, and a game room for the kids. Basketball & tennis courts, and a marina and boat launch are on the huge park grounds. The road to the camp sites is rough, so drive slow. Loops 1, 2 and 3 have better level sites. Loop 5 is horribly unlevel down by the lake. It was a quiet campsite and we enjoyed staying here. The staff was helpful and very nice. If your RV is over 12 feet high, ask for directions to the park. There is a low level train track on the way south to the park. There is an air museum on the grounds. Our site had trees for shade. If in the area again, we would definitely return to stay at Sampson State Park. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Grass

Shopped at Sauders for fresh meat, baked goods, fruits & veggies, and other Amish foods. Visited Watkins Glen State Park...beautiful and a must see! Many wineries, breweries, cideries, and disterillies in the Finger Lakes region. Go to Muranda farm cheese tasting! Geneva and Seneca Falls are quaint towns. Ithaca is not far.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $26.00

Sampson state park is a large, gorgeous park right on the lake and located in the middle of many wineries. I stayed in loop two and found the sites to be large and partially shaded. Apparently, I did not read the campsite description when booking the site. It only had 30 amp electric and nothing else. I was easily able to fill my freshwater tank, hence no problem, and used the pump out facilities at my next stop - again no problem. My only criticism would be the electrical pedestal was old and the 20 amp outlet showed evidence of arcing. The 30 amp outlet was fine. I would highly recommend this campground and would return anytime I was in the area. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Site 057 on Loop 2
Grass

My wife and I spent most of our free time visiting the wineries in the area. All of them were fabulous but I would highly recommend not missing Three Brothers winery. It was a lot of fun!

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $29.00

Pros: large open spaces, clean beach with life guards, concession stand with beer, museum, kite flying, & good geocaching within the park Cons: no WiFi, sites not level on loops 4 & 5, no water & sewer hookups.

This site and adjacent were very wet due to the significant rain fall which limits how you can park your campers and vehicles. It takes at least 3 - 2" x 4" slabs to level the one side of the trailer on this site and you will need an additional step to get onto your trailer stairs. We were prepared because we have stayed on this site before. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $40.00

Militant police department. Trees in site not trimmed thus unable to back in new 40 foot MH. When I removed 3 branch tips (2-3 foot in length) police showed up for a 45 minute lecture. Next day another's police visit for having a portable hammock rope tied around tree. Third day, sitting at campfire with wife and friend having a quiet conversation at 10:38 PM when police show up again to tell us "Quiet hours, turn of the music (which was so low we could barely hear it) and wrap things up". Yes, they even tell you when to go to bed! Final fourth day, in line to dump and following those in front of me, off the main road and straddling an abandoned road from the decommissioned Naval base, police again show up and tell me to move it (40 foot motorhome with attached Jeep and tow bar; does not back up) I explain there is no room and I have a rig tightly in front and behind me. Police says, "not my problem move it or I will ticket you". Of course no sign indicating to not straddle road and of course in four days not one car seen on the abandoned road. Fortunately, the nice man in front of me hears all this, is as shocked as we are, and kindly cuts his dump short and leaves to avoid ticket to me. Simply the worst police harrassment I have ever experienced in 50 years of camping. Avoid this park at all costs. Police gone wild! P.S. my wife and I run three companies, have been married 27 years, have two lovely girls, and were there on a business trip with prospective business partners from Ottawa. Not what you would consider a "rowdy bunch". We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $33.00

This was a nice park. The electric worked fine. No water or sewer. Verizon was good, AT&T was fair. We were able to get satellite coverage. We stayed there on a weekend and it was full of kids on bicycles riding fast through the campground and through the sites. The real negative to this campground was the road coming in is like a washboard. It is a former military base and the roads have not been maintained. You should also be aware that there is a low bridge on the main road to the campground, 12'9". We are 13'4" so we had to go about 20 miles out of our way to get to the park. We'd probably pick a park we could get to without a low clearance bridge next time. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $28.00

This is a very good State Park. The Sampson Military Museum is right at the park and was a great start to our stay here. This park also has a beach, docks and boat ramp. Lots of wineries in the area. Corning Glass Museum is about one hour away and is worth the trip. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Grass

Sampson Military Museum, Corning Glass Museum.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $28.00

Our spot was roomy, plenty of space for our tow. We had to move around to get satellite tv, but we got it in space 144. We didn't want to move until we left so we used the showers since we didn't have sewer. They were well kept, clean, although there is only 2 per loop. I did have to wait about 15 minutes one day. There was a little beach for swimming with a concession stand. You do need an extension cord for electric. We would stay again, good location for visiting Geneva and a few other towns. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Loop 3 144

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $30.00

This campground is wonderful and if your site is chosen wisely you will end up with very scenic views of Seneca Lake. The campground was completely full when we went, so book early!

We used ReserveAmerica to book this site for 2 nights. The description indicated that a 40 ft rig could fit at site 226. We were able to fit our 32 ft RV + tow dolly + car but it was a steep grade and needed a lot of attention to get close to level. Leveling a 40-footer in this site could be tough. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Fire Ring

Bring blocks to put under your leveling jacks. We were not prepared for the steep incline that site 226 had and were not able to get fully level. I would recommend pulling forward instead backing in because the lower tires will be lifted off of the ground.

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $21.00

For the past several year my DW and I end our camping season with a stay at Sampson State Park. Centrally located between quaint Geneva, NY and Watkins Glen and in the middle of the renowned world class Finger Lakes Wine region. The staff at Sampson is and has always been very friendly and pleasant upon check in. This is a large campground with close to 300 campsites. Like most state parks the sites have electric only and being an older campground most are 30amp only. The trade off though is the large roomy sites available both treed or if you are using a roof top satellite dish out in the open. The comfort stations (restroom and showers) are spotlessly clean and in the fall very warm and comfortable. Generally in late fall Sampson will only have one loop with electric open with about 30-40 sites. However, because of the mild east coast weather this year, their was a demand for more sites than normally open. To Sampson's credit they opened up their largest RV loop and most popular to accommodate all of the requests! Not many campgrounds, public or private would be willing to be that flexible. While visiting Sampson make sure you take in the on grounds military museum with many interesting artifacts and stories of how vital Sampson was as a military base and the incredible speed in which it was built to help win WWII. Enjoy Sampson, Geneva where Emile's restaurant has the best bone on prime rib anywhere and of course the many fine Finger Lakes wineries. We camped at Sampson State Park in a Motorhome.

Geneva has several very nice restaurants and pubs in the compact and cute downtown area. Near almost 100 wineries and only 45 minutes from Ithaca, NY and Cornell University and Ithaca College. Watkins Glenn Raceway is a little more than 30 minutes away.

Featured Campgrounds Near Sampson State Park

Are you affiliated with Sampson State Park ?