Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground

• Camp Store Camp Store no
  • Pet Area Pet Area no
  • Propane Available Propane Available no
  • Cafe / Snack Bar Cafe / Snack Bar yes
  • Firewood Available Firewood Available ?
  • Horse Camp Horse Camp yes
  • Playground Playground no
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Biking Biking yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground" and nearby attractions.

BDP

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $36.00

This is a working ranch and not a frilly campground. It is located at the end of a 1 1/2 miles dirt road. The road was in good condition. I'd suggest to keep it around 10-15 mph. Office is in the restaurant/bar. The restaurant serves great steaks. I personally did not like the campsite layout, rows and rows of campers on dirt/gravel strips and some grass between the strips. Personal opinion.The facilities all worked. There was no fire ring or picnic table on any of the sites. We did not use the restrooms or showers. One camper said that they were clean but minimal. The office personnel were friendly and helpful. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $35.00

The previous reviews describe the park well. This is primarily a horse camp that attracts large groups for events, weddings, etc. Except for a few construction workers, we had the place to ourselves. We had a full hook up site, but the sewer pipe was about 16 inches above the ground. The site is not level and a mixture of gravel, mud and weeds. Other than that, we loved it. You can see for over 30 miles in several directions without a lot of light pollution at night. We drove a short distance to the top of the hill and watched an epic sunset. Easy access to the NP. They have some electric only sites up on the hill, I would do one of those next time. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Several mountain bike trails adjacent to the CG. Had a good breakfast in the restaurant.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $37.00

The CG is 6 miles EAST of Medora off exit 18. This is NOT the Buffalo Gap STATE Park. When you exit....GO STRAIGHT and do NOT turn LEFT. Camped in a 41ft MH. All the Big Rig sites are level. All have 50 Amp service. Power is FINE....no low or high voltage. Other than the 1 1/2 mile of gravel road (drive it at 15 MPH), that is the only disadvantage. No WiFi at the sites, only in the office/bar. CG is well maintained and grass is cut. You are OUT in the "boonies". But there is more DUST (been there) at the Medora CG due to the traffic. Would stay here again. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

The Medora "Pageant" is now more of a "Variety" show than an outdoor or docudrama. Total singing and dancing and band and a feature act. No history about TR or such. In 2011, it was half and half. Do the Matinee (3:30 Tue - Sunday) TR - One Man Show. Worth the $15 entry fee. IF you do the Pitch Fork Fondue at the Medora Musical, you get $10 off. The Loop Road into TRNP is under construction for the first 6 miles. Go LATE in the day. Wildlife abounds. We have seen Elk, Mule Deer, Bison, Prarie Dogs, Antelope, Coyote, Wild Horses. No Eagles. Second visit to the area. It is pitching itself as as "Mayberry RFD" alternative to Branson, MO.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $30.00

There's good and not so good about this place. First the "not so good." Also I should qualify this by saying that the big rigs were in a different spot of the property so some of this likely does not apply. The sites where we were were not very level at all. The hookups at some sites would have been tricky. The Bath house wasn't all that great. There is no shade anywhere, but it is smack dab in the middle of the North Dakota Badlands. The good: At $30/night it's way better than the other Medora venues I explored. It is a working ranch among other things. There is a good restaurant, as well as a saloon, on the grounds. The badlands which surround the place are amazingly peaceful. My wife and I would sit by the fire at night and listen to the coyotes howl. Despite the very average (or slightly worse) facilities, should I go to Medora again, I would choose to stay here, even if there were other availability at some of the pricier places with cleaner bathrooms. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Do the Pitchfork steak undue in Medora.

Featured Campgrounds Near Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $35.00

Interesting place. I read the prior reviews and decided to stay here. As mentioned, a 1.5 mile drive on a dirt road, had some washboard and the toad was covered when we arrived. It wasn't the worst road the coach has been on though. There are four cattle guards you have to cross too. . Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch is close by (south unit) and easy to access. The full hook up was great and all utilities worked well. The campground was about 25% full. Some site looked like the trailers were in storage. You park on a gravel/weed mixture and as mentioned in a prior review, the electric is on the opposite side. I used about 20 feet of my 25 foot cord. Technically a back in site however no one was in the site behind me, so I drove through. It's not a fancy campground, but met our needs. Price was reasonable and location worked. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt

The Theodore Roosevelt show at the old town theater was exceptional. There is one c store in Medora, anything else is 40 min east in Dickinson. This campground has a bar. Hours are flexible depending on interest.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $30.00

I chose this place because we wanted to get away for a few days, and it certainly fit that need. If you are going to be leaving on a regular basis during your stay, I would find another campground. Somewhat easy to find as it is right off the highway but there needs to be a sign to stay straight on the gravel road instead of turning left on the paved road. We stayed next to the horse pens, and while our site was huge, the connections are a bit far. We did manage to reach, but it took some maneuvering. The view was very pleasant, and there were a lot of folks taking their horses for a ride in the country. There is also a shooting range here. The restaurant/bar on the property can be lively on the weekend, but you don't really hear it from your site. No wifi, but Verizon got good service. My power outlet didn't get great voltage, so when I ran my air conditioner, I couldn't run other high voltage items (hair iron, toaster, etc) at the same time. The other thing was that the bathrooms weren't cleaned before we got there. They were a mess & had no toilet paper. Right before we left, they cleaned them. Had they cleaned them before we got there, this place would be an 8/10. Overall, this place gave me exactly what I wanted - a ranch experience & a place to get away for a few days. I would certainly return. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $30.00

When it's the weekend and everything is booked in Medora, and you want full hookup because temps are in the high 80's, this is where you end up. Mediocre campground. Site was just long enough for my 31' Coach and small tow car. Located 1 1/2 miles down a washboard gravel road. Tow car was unrecognizable from dirt and dust when we arrived. Had quite a time locating our site. We were shown a map in the bar/office. Finally figured out their numbering system. We were set up for an hour when there was a knock on the door, owner stating we needed to move over 6' to the gravel from the dirt (hard to tell the difference). An escort to your site would go a long way here. There are no showers. There was a laundry--two washers (one broken) and 2 dryers. I guess the bathroom is in the bar. Hookups did work well, however, no wifi at sites. Verizon coverage was fine, and nothing to block the satellite dish reception (like a tree for shade). It rained the last night we stayed and there was mud and wet everywhere in the morning when packing up. Hose and electric cord covered in mud. Should have stayed down the road with shade even if no hookups--at least the road is paved! We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $31.00

We wanted to stay near Theodore Roosevelt National Park and had friends who were staying at this campground. We checked and they had availability for our rig during the week - they were sold out for a motorcycle rally on the weekend. We elected to get 30A service at $25/night rather than 50A at $30/night (plus tax) as it was cool enough that we would not need multiple air conditioners. The sites are a little odd in that there are pretty long sites that you could pull through as long as no one was assigned to and occupying the site behind. While the water and sewer was in the appropriate place for our utility hookup, the electric was on the opposite side so we had to run the power cord underneath our rig. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Sand

Visit South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Take the ranger-guided tour of the Maltese Cross Cabin. It would be wise to get groceries before coming to Medora as there aren't many options in this area.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $30.00

We stayed a few nights while exploring Medora and the Theodore Roosevelt NP 10 miles to the east. This is a great value overall. Just 1.5 miles off the interstate on a gravel road. The sites are laid out as long pull thrus and the hookups are in odd spots but it works depending on where your connections are. A good base of operations for the area and only a few other rvs there when we visited. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $25.00

I stayed here two nights, Apr 30 - May 2, 2017. I was the only RV here. The RV park is on a broad open space and the winds were challenging (but this is North Dakota after all, wind goes with the territory). This place is isolated, about 2 miles off I-94 at exit 18 on a gravel road. The nearest town is Medora, 10 miles further east. It has a very nice restaurant and bar which I walked through but did not use. I enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again. It has internet, but the signal was weak. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is accessed from the town of Medora, 10 miles distant on I-94. Medora itself is a very nice, touristy town, but it does not come to life till mid-May and I was here earlier. It was essentially empty on May 1.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $30.00

This is a very quite and rustic campground well off interstate where all you hear are the birds singing, horses whinnying and an occasional coyote. Full hookups and pull thru's abound. This campground is 2 miles west of Medora in Buffalo Gap, ND. Very friendly staff and great food. They specialize in rib-eye steaks, but warning, they have a secret sauce that they marinate the steaks in and if you are like me who thinks putting any kind of steak sauce on a great steak is sacrilegious then be sure to order your steak dry. However, if you like putting sauce on your meat then you will love the secret sauce the owner cooks it in. My ol' Pappy always said, son if you have to put sauce on something to eat it then it ain't fittin'.Lol

This is a working ranch and camp sites are gravel with sparse grass and ample room between sites. The down side is you have 1 ½ mile gravel road into campground that has a lot of wash-boarding. No big deal, you just have to go slow.

We stayed 9 night's in order to take in all the attraction's and will defiantly stay here again. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Theodore Roosevelt Nation Park South and North units. Historic Medora ,ND with all the attractions. Nearest larger town would be Dickinson with several restaurants and Walmart. Even had a Family Dollar. No fuel in Medora so fuel up in Dickinson. $2.34 7/3/16. Was told that Glenview, MT had a wonderful state park with breathtaking views.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $30.00

How do you rate a farm yard? That's what your staying in. The RV sites are now 30 hastily built un-level narrow sites in the middle of a farm yard. The utilities are haphazard arranged requiring long hoses and cables. The sites drop over 12" front to back and have no amenities like table or fire pit. Only a few sites are full hookup most are electric and water. There is an expensive bar/restaurant on site and many shabby motel rooms. Yes it's a guest ranch, but a poor one. Did I mention you have to drive 1.5 miles over a rough gravel road to get there. Cross this one off your list. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Poor Conditions

Medora is a cute western motif type of town catering to the tourist dollar. It is also the southern entrance for the Theodore Roosevelt National Park the only reason we stayed at this RV park in the first place.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $30.00

We arrived on a Sunday (late afternoon). When we turned off the highway and started heading towards the camp, there was a campground sign pointing to the left so I called to ask if that is where we should turn but the lady on the phone said to keep going straight. When we got there we didn't see an office but thanks to another review, we knew the bar was the correct place to go to register. When we got there, the bartender seemed to be ignoring us and was tending to the only guy at the bar. She finally asked another girl to help us, but apparently they were hosting some exchange students or something and this girl had a hard accent to understand and didn't seem to understand us either. Finally the bartender came over and basically told us we should go find a campsite since they were pretty much empty and then come back and register. I added this as a tip below that she should just tell people that if they call on the phone so we didn't have to block their entrance as much as we were. We drove thru their main road between the lodging and up to the campground. The sites all looked fairly new and were really long. This is mostly a horse resort but we thought it would be a different change of pace from the typical campgrounds. Unfortunately there was nothing going on. Plus, the resort had just had a 400 person wedding the night before which could explain why none of the staff were overly friendly (they were just tired :-). But we did get to pet a couple of horses and found out that the following weekend the ranch would be hosting a pretty big concert as well as camping. So we thought we lucked out since it was so quiet while we were there. The place is really nice despite the lack of trees. The cabins/rooms were nice too AND for those who don't necessarily like to cook, they have a restaurant along with the bar and a really nice patio overlooking the "not so Badlands!" If we ever have the chance to be driving past Medora, we would definitely stay here again. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt

To the Buffalo Gap guest ranch...you might want to have better signage that you are not affiliated with the first campground to the left so people (especially in big rigs) don't turn at the wrong place. Also, the entrance isn't that large so in order to keep RV's from blocking other guests, you might want to assign spots over the phone or let people know they should just drive to the campground, pick a site and then come back and register.

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $20.00

We stayed here because it was the only campground in Medora that was still open. We had water and 30 amp elec-- no sewer but they have a dump station. Our site was small, sort of level and had some gravel but was a little muddy. Not a great place for non-horse owner/rider camping but OK for the price. The personnel nice and friendly. If we're ever in Medora again we'll stay here... unless another campground is open. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2013 - $25.00

Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Park, only 6 miles outside of Medora. Medora is I-94 Exits 27 and 24. Exit 18 is the Buffalo Gap Exit. After the exit, the last 1.5 miles is over a dirt road, wide but with several spots where it is like driving over a washboard. Do not be discouraged. Just GO SLOW and you'll be fine. We are a 36' MH with a tow car. What a different and interesting place to stay. They have 10 sites with full hookups (only 3 sites have 50A service). These sites weren't really laid out for RVs. They were laid out so that their customers can have a place to park their horse trailers. You see, about 30 yards in front of where we were parked, there is a rodeo arena corral. People come to this ranch to train their horses, to learn horsemanship, and to learn, with their horses, to work with cattle. We spent 3 nights here, and they were working their horses from about 7AM until close to dark. But, they weren't at all noisy. It certainly was interesting to, at night, hear horses neighing and nickering instead of trains or airplanes. The Ranch has full restaurant services serving 3 meals a day. The food wasn't great. They have rooms for people to stay in. They don't offer "guest ranch" type activities like trail rides, etc. If you want to go on a trail ride, you have to bring your own horse. There is no swimming pool or playground. The facilities were fine except the spaces were a little close to each other. It was certainly an experience watching people hone their riding skills, breaking and taming young horses, and then watching them learn how to cut cattle out of a herd. Our stay here certainly qualifies as one of our "mini" adventures! The owner told me that he has plans to add 30 more sites with pull-throughs. We camped at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground

Are you affiliated with Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch & RV Campground ?