12005 US Highway 16

• Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Biking Biking yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Beaver Lake Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2019 - $37.00

Not a lot of spots for large rigs. Was told water hydrants would be heat taped and usable. Ours froze up the first night and for two nights no water. Luckily I filled our tank. When the owner came by to fix two frozen hydrants, he accused me of breaking the valve by pulling the handle while frozen. Upon giving him my piece of mind. The hydrant started spitting out ice and working. The heat tape needed to be wrapped better and adjusted. Bad experience in a pretty nice park. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

M

Obstacles, Poor Conditions

SDCampowneroperator, owner at Beaver Lake Campground responded to this review

We are sorry that a heated hydrant failed for you in such cold weather. We cannot foresee failures of electrical devices. We did respond immediately and were able to serve you while the issue was resolved. You filled your fresh tank on arrival at our direction because we knew below O weather was imminent, and as you did not have a heated hose it was moot.
There was no accusation that you were responsible for the hydrant failure, or any comment from you to me from your piece of mind.
We do take issue with your comments of our sites are close, difficult. You chose the site on your drive in arrival because of its easy access and large size.
Your rating does not look well on you as a reviewer, as your overall is less than your combined, as well as with only one resolved complaint which was an act of God, which had nothing to do with the other review factors.

Date of Stay: October, 2019 - $43.00

Since we were traveling during the off season, we found most parks closed due to temperatures. Beaver Lake was open, friendly and beautiful. Sites are level and clean. Roads to site were in great condition. Deer ran through our camp site. We were greeted when I called by a very nice lady with all the information we need to find them and what was available. Our guide to the site was friendly and knowledgeable. We definitely will be back. I recommend them highly. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

L

Go to Captains Table for dining. We had the prime rib and it was delicious.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $35.00

Very nice campground on the western edge of Custer. Convenient to reach all of the Black Hills sights. Call before you arrive to confirm your stay dates and campground to avoid errors. The showers are extremely well maintained and the two locations makes them easy to access. Laundry facilities are near the toilets/showers. We really enjoyed the cable TV connection. The campground has a general store that has most everything. We would return. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Grass

We really liked the ice cream and pie at the purple ice cream shop in Custer. Great place.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $38.00

This was our first camping outing in 35 years. After buying a used toy hauler and taking a leap of faith, we loaded the Indian,kayak,and headed to the Black hills. After calling a doz campgrounds for information we settled on the most friendly voices and narrowed in on Beaver Lake campgrounds Custer SD. We can’t say enough about this Amazing place. The staff were so helpful and the campgrounds so quiet even though it was full. We were able to get firewood there, fill our propane tanks, do laundry, had a little store. We didn’t want to leave and go home. We hope to book a month here next summer. Nice nice people?. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Grass, Gravel

This campground is only short drives to Crazy horse, Hill city, Rushmore,Keystone, Spearfish canyon. Sturgis and Rapid city. Beautiful Biking, 4wheeling trails and beautiful lakes. Hiking, bicycle trails etc. the perfect family fun place. The outdoor pool and water slides were shut down due to late season but could only imagine the fun the kids must have.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $38.00

Nicest campground we have ever stayed in !!!! We were here for over a month and the staff was friendly and helpful. The surroundings are beautiful !! We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $44.00

We stayed in site 62 after asking for a private spot. It was about as private you could get in this campground but an adjacent road was noisy and dusty. Owners were great. Did not use their restrooms a lot because it was a climb up the hill to get there. Got to expect hills when in the Black Hills. If you want fast WIFI, get up early in the morning before the traffic jams. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Custer state park and the Needle Loop drive were much better than going to Mount Rushmore. Can't get an RV through the tunnels on Needle Loop though. George Mickleson bike trail goes through Custer. It's very nice.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $44.00

We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in an 44' toy hauler and camped for six nights in mid August 2019. After we registered at the office, we were escorted to our rv space #66 which was a gravel fairly level pull thru and long enough for our rv and truck. The escort returned about one hour later and ask if we needed anything to which we said no and thanked him for checking up on us. We also filled up our 20# propane tank at the campground and was the cheapest refill I have had in years. There is also a general store, laundry and internet hot spot located next to the office. Fire rings are provided at each site and firewood is available for purchase. Water pressure was extremely good. We have Verizon cell phones and we could text from the rv but could not receive or make calls unless we went outside the rv. Very good restaurants in Custer only 3 miles east of the campground. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Shopping and restaurants in Custer located 3 miles east of the campground. Crazy Horse is 5 miles north of Custer and Mt. Rushmore about 20 miles north of Custer. Custer State Park and Needles Highway also close to Custer.

SDCampowneroperator, owner at Beaver Lake Campground responded to this review

Thank you for your review. We do not have a site 66, in checking our records I see you were in site 62 , perfectly suitable for your unit and wishes. Come stay again

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $50.00

We're currently staying at the Beaver Lake Campground and couldn't be more pleased! The area is gorgeous, plentiful RV space, a huge yard out front, easy access, level sites and the entire campground is absolutely impeccable! It offers campers privacy and top notch accommodations. The Staff is outstanding and extremely helpful. We got our arrival dates wrong and they went out of their way to find us a site - even during Sturgis...unbelievable! This has been a wonderful experience and we highly recommend Beaver Lake to everyone. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $44.00

Rate reflects weekly in-season rate. We stayed for 7 nights. A large family oriented park with swimming, a water slide, free music a couple of nights per week. Very accommodating staff and a pleasant place to stay as a base for seeing all the Black Hills has to offer. Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Cutler State Park, Wind Cave NP, the Badlands NP. It's an easy day trip to Devils Tower as well. Downtown Custer is about 4 miles away. The only complaint we have is the lack of cell service at our site so we could not use our Verizon hot spot. We were in site O and to be honest, we asked for that site because of satellite reception. One of the park wifi towers was about 3 sites from us, and was extremely spotty, depending on the time of day. Early, and I mean EARLY in the morning before all of the kids got on their phones, it was okay for simple web browsing and email, but after 8:00 am, forget about it. I did a speed test on my PC and the download speeds at 6:00 am were 3.0 mbps. I could hardly get Google Maps to open so we could plan our auto route for the day. Good cell service would have made an immense difference, for opening simple apps and for use as a hot-spot bypassing the campground wifi. We would stay here again, but we would ask to be on the high ground part of the park. I would give this more than an 8 rating if the wifi was better, or there was cell service. I asked for the site, so can't really complain. My comments are just as information for others. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

O

SDCampowneroperator, owner at Beaver Lake Campground responded to this review

We are aware of the cell phone issue . We have done everything we can to give our guests the best. We have installed high gain cell booster antennas throughout the park. They work for most. . I even brought you my personal cell booster to you, helped you aim it to give you the best cell service.
Wifi bandwidth is beyond our control. We subscribe to all our provider can provide, have placed fiber optic cable in the park to antennas in anticipation of our provider placing fiber optic cable into the park.
Please understand we are at the mercy of our providers.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $60.00

This was my first time camping in the RV with my parents and this was an excellent park to start with. The park had good shade and it was very clean. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the office was open long hours. They had a small store onsite with supplies and groceries that were reasonably priced. The laundry room was clean and in good condition, as were the restrooms and showers. The pool was small and you have to pay extra to use the slide, but it was clean and the kids enjoyed it. The wifi did not work for me unless I was in the room by the office next to the hotspot, but once in there, the connection was strong. The park offers live entertainment several nights a week with local bands which was nice. The playground is a good size and was in good condition and they have bikes you can use while on property as well. The park is close to the town of Custer and we were within a few hours of all the attractions we wanted to see. I enjoyed camping at Beaver Lake and would recommend it to anyone planning to camp in the area. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Covered Forested

There is SO MUCH to do in this area! I highly recommend eating at Black Hills Burger & Bun in Custer. Jewel Cave was right down the street from the campground. Mt. Rushmore is a must, along with Custer State Park. Sylvan Lake was amazing and we took the scenic Needle drive after we left the lake, which was beautiful! Rush Mountain adventure park was a fun place to take the kids. Devil's Tower in WY is a must! The scenic drive from Spearfish down to Custer was gorgeous.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $44.00

We had booked what looked like a nice shaded site off of the map on the website a few months prior. When we arrived they had a gentleman come escort us to the site. He looked at our 32' travel trailer and told me it may be too big for the site we picked so he told me to hop in his cart and we went to a site that would work. The site was more than big enough and closer to the pool which was great for our 4 kids. The entire stay was great. They had a decent camp store with the few groceries we needed and there was always ample staff and they were always nice. The bathrooms were some of the cleanest we've ever had at a campground. The pool was great for the kids and they loved the slide. We had 2 bars of LTE on AT&T. We'll be coming back for sure. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

SDCampowneroperator, owner at Beaver Lake Campground responded to this review

Thanks. It was my pleasure. My office staff had not gotten your needs and wishes quite right when you reaerved.
Our overflow site 87, which we never reserve, was just right for your family.
Max

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $50.00

We initially booked our vacation stay for 6 days not really knowing what to expect as we have never been to South Dakota. Upon arrival we decided to extend our stay for another week as we liked the campsite, cleanliness and amenities. The check-in with Beaver Lake was very friendly and quick. The lots are large, clean, manicured and spacious. The staff went out of there way to make sure that we were able to disconnect our vehicle from the RV and then escorted us to our site and helped us park. The site we reserved is surrounded by trees and our Direct TV satellite dish could not connect. The owner went out of his way, moved us to a new location in the campground where we could access our Direct TV and stay the additional days. We wanted to share our enjoyable experience regarding Beaver Lake Campground. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Grass
Other

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $30.00

This park is great it has lots of pine trees so watch closing your slides. Full hook ups and the staff was great and very helpful. Would stay again . There is a water slide in the front. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $42.00

Check in was quick and friendly. We could not make our first night because of the snow storm, management was very accommodating. We were escorted to our site which was a gravel/grass pull thru. It was long enough and we had good room for slides. Our site had cable, but it was fuzzy, it is an analog signal into a HD tv. There was a table and fire pit, we did not use as it rained almost every day. The roads and sites were well graded and did not puddle very much. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. The owner came by to each camper in the rain on Memorial evening to invite us all to a free b-b-q with live western music. We used the laundry, it was clean and worked well. We were in site F it was in the trees, very nice. I was able to get my 42' 5thweel in an out without any problems. I would come back here again. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

F

Covered Forested

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $45.00

Several observations - Very poor cable connections made watching any TV impossible. Cell service on Verizon was so poor even from the designated campground hot spot. Dryers in the closest laundry did not work, could only use the the laundry that was further away. Buyer beware on paying for sites. Cancellation policy is awful. Booked 3 nights in advance, got there a day early so had to pay for a 4th night. After 2 nights we had to leave early as heavy snow was predicted. No refunds, or any adjustments were available or offered, so we paid for 4 nights and could only stay for 2 to outrun the snow forecast. There comment was "it never snows" even though everyone in town told us it does usually when forecast. On a positive note, one staff member who was working there was exceptional in helping us, not so much for the ladies in the office. When in that area again we will definitely find a different campground. We camped at Beaver Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Beaver Lake Campground ?