Huntsville State Park

Huntsville, Texas

565 Park Road 40 W
Huntsville, Texas 77340

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access ?
  • WiFi WiFi no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Pet Area Pet Area no
  • Propane Available Propane Available no
  • Playground Playground ?
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Biking Biking yes
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Horseshoes Horseshoes no

Ask fellow campers about "Huntsville State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2019 - $16.00

We camp here after school had started, so it wasn't very crowded. Lots of tall pine trees, the lake look great. Miles of hiking trails. even though the park is close to i45 it is very quite. I had read the sites were un-level,and that is true. if you can look at the site pics on the reservation page try to pick a level one. be aware there are alligators in the lake. neat to look at, but stay your distance. All in all this is a really good state park. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Covered Forested

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $20.00

Nice State Park with good hiking trails and nice lake. We used it as a base to hike on the Lone Star Trail in the National Forest. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt

Huntsville just up the road, with Walmart, HEB, etc. Sam Houston National Forest on both sides of State Park.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $25.00

Great place, nice lake and facilities, woody, trails, fishing, canoes, kayaks, etc..... We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt, Dirt

Nearby, Very Close
Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $20.00

I stayed at Huntsville State Park for one night on a trip to Indiana. I have stayed at this park many times in the past. I have a small bumper pull travel trailer and usually just need a back in site. This time my site was very un-level and it took a lot of blocks under the wheels to get it somewhat level. The sites are very shady, power is good and water tastes good. Lots of activities and a great swimming beach with a small park store for forgotten items. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt

Huntsville has a couple of nice museums.

Featured Campgrounds Near Huntsville State Park

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $39.00

We spent Sunday night of Memorial Day Weekend at one of the 25 full hookup sites at in the Raven Hill section of Huntsville State Park campground. We only spent one night as we were on our way home from vacation and this park was conveniently located to allow a comfortable day drive home. This is a very popular park, and unfortunately, access limitations cause a bottle neck at the entrance. We arrived at about 3 pm on Sunday and spent about 20 minutes getting past the entry booth, with about 15 vehicles ahead of us in line (both entry booths were open). We noted the other comments about the full hookup sites being un-level, before we made our reservations. This is an understatement. These pull through loops go up and down the hill just like the camping loop road. We were in site 3 which is one of the more level sites, and was just level enough for us to be able to find a point where we could get to almost level with our leveling jacks fully extended, each sitting on a single 1 inch thick pad, though our back left tires were off the ground, and nose as high up as it would go (yes I used wheel chocks). I don't think most of the water and electric only sites are any more level. Other than this the park was pleasant. The bench on one side of our concrete picnic table looked unsafe and as if it may collapse at any moment with large chunks of concrete missing. Our fire ring was located about 30 feet from our RV, so not an ideal layout (other sites were better in this regard). Spacing between campsites was fair, but due to the thin small sapling like trees, privacy is non-existent. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

Raven Hill 3

Date of Stay: March, 2019 - $30.00

We've been camping here over 20 years. Campsites are very large and shaded. Fishing good, bathrooms and showers great. Staff wonderful! Weekends can be crowded but most recent visit was during the week and we almost had campground to ourselves! We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Site 58
Concrete, Grass

City of Huntsville great for exploring, too. Fishing, pier, shopping and antiques in town, bicycling (if you are fit enough to ride hills!)

Date of Stay: February, 2019 - $15.00

Nice park. It was practically empty due to the time of year and weather. Still, the sites were big enough - though there seemed to be a lot of them! Unfortunately, the canoe rentals weren't open, so didn't get to enjoy the lake. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

We enjoyed the Prison Museum in Huntsville

Date of Stay: November, 2018 - $25.00

This is an extremely heavily used State Park and it really shows it. With reservations made 109 days prior to arriving for our first visit to this park, we arrived just before 5pm on a November Friday. Check-in line was out the door at the Rangers' Headquarters and RVs backed up on the Park entrance road. At that point, we had our choice of 3 sites (selection made without any site pics or a chance to drive thru the campground) in Raven Hill campground (full hook-up). We selected site #9, one of the few back-in sites which is at the back of this loop next to a lift station (we weren't told of the station). Our 27ft TT fit, but had to park TV across site along road. We had a slight glimpse of the lake from this site. Unlevel (side-to-side) site requiring extensive leveling efforts. The concrete picnic table and fire ring was located on the opposite side of the camper door. The concrete picnic table bench was broken off and exposed sharp concrete edges. The public restrooms for this loop were next to the playground. Finish worn off toilet seats, no soap or any paper towels or automatic hand dryer. This campground loop was nearly filled to capacity this November weekend, but it was very quiet throughout the day and night. Firewood was for sale at the Rangers' Headquarters. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Sunny Open, Some Shade

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $30.00

25 sites with electricity, water and sewer. ALL sites are not level, bring your leveling blocks! We had to use 4" of blocks on the side of our motor home. The sewer connection was actually higher than our sewer outlet, so we did not use it. Restroom needs attention. Vent fan was ready to fail, and very loud. Showers were horrible, with lots of mildew from old, leaking fixtures. Nice State park, but facilities need some work. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $25.00

Price reflects $20 nightly camp fee plus $5 day use fee per person per day (waived if you have $70 annual TX state park pass). Large campground, very pretty. Good road. Paved sites with tables on concrete pads. Most of the sites are on the water or have a view of the water. Sites 1-25 are full hook-up pull-through sites; 26-59 are E/W back-in sites. Many sites will take large rigs. Most sites are fairly level, but be sure to have blocks with you because some are quite sloped. Lots of shade. Over-the-air TV channels limited (CBS and CW is all I could pick up). Verizon signal good.

The one thing I had to mark the campground down for was the extremely unclean condition of the showers in the bathhouse serving sites 1-59 (mold and mildew build-up). We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $25.00

This is a very pretty State Park, located in the tall pines, on Lake Raven. Park is clean, and sites and roads are paved. There is plenty of room between most sites, but many are extremely unlevel. The Ranger recommended a site for us in Prairie Branch, with water & electric, which would accommodate our 39-ft. 5th wheel. We would stay here again. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Fire Ring, Picnic Table, Patio

Tight Turns

We enjoyed the Farmhouse Restaurant in Huntsville - good food, reasonable prices!

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $30.00

Never again in this state park. I love state parks but this one, no way. First of all, we stayed in the FHU loop and picked space 14 because it was the most level and had the ONLY open area with FHU that you could get your Sat Dish to seek up. Your table is concrete. The table and the fire pit are down 5 or 6 steps on a lower level. So everytime you needed something from the RV you had to go up and down. At the fire pit, you were surrounded by lots of trees and foliage and a standing still lake that allowed for more biting bugs that I have ever experienced in my life.

We didn't use the picnic area or firepit. Just directing my husband to set the RV up so we were in the right spot...took about 10 mins...my legs, arms, feet and back were covered in horrible bites. No matter what I did, shower, ice pack, witch hazel, cortizone, calamine, you name it: didn't help. 3 days here felt like a lifetime of hell. We had to relevel every day because the ground was so uneven.

They told us on the phone that it was $25.00 per night for FHU and $5 per day, per person for park entry. The girl told us that being they are affiliated with a national park they would honor our America the Beautiful and not charge park entrance. Well, we got here and even though the reservation said no charge for entrance the guy at the desk said, unless you have a Texas State Park pass, you have to pay it. If it wasn't getting late in the day, I would have left.

It cost us for 3 days: $30 just for park entrance and $75 for site. I could have stayed at any park for $35 a day and could have sat outside and not gotten bitten to death. Not very accommodating. Now I know why there is hardly anyone here except for locals doing a day visit to fish in the pond, or go to the so called beach.

If you are a big rig or your RV is over 40'...this is not a good park for anything over that. We are 40'MH and towed and we just barely made it through the roadways. Over head trees are desperate for trimming. I am sure my AC units help trim some.

Sewer hookup is raised so if your sewer hose comes out low be prepared. It will never be in a proper position to fully drain. Drainage will lay in that sewer hose till you are ready to leave and hold it up and rinse it. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

Asphalt, Dirt, Grass
Picnic Table, Patio

Covered Forested
Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

If you like to fish and don't mind the massive bugs and biting, this is a park for you.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $20.00

We camped here July 2017. Been camping in Texas State Parks for nearly 20 years. We have a 29' traveler trailer. Camped in the Ravin Hill area. I tried to get in site 23 but could not make it - a very tight curved pull thru site. Since we were only staying one night and the camp host had not arrived they let me in site 24. Other review sites will mention how uneven the sites are in Raven Hill. That is an understatement. I gave up on getting our camper level. To top it off, the sewer cap was about 6" above the ground and uphill from the entire camper. I would have been better off camping at another area and using the dump station. Park is very pretty, people very friendly. But not my favorite park. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Travel Trailer.

24-Raven Hill
Asphalt

Huntsville has a lot of neat places to visit. Be sure and eat at Farmhouse Cafe. Food is outstanding and pies are unbelievable.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $20.00

Very nice state park adjacent to Lake Raven. Camped there during Labor Day weekend. This was our second visit to this park. We camped in the Prairie Branch Camping Area adjacent to a shelter. Our site was very spacious, shaded, mostly level, directly adjacent to the lake; we camped in a 40ft motorhome w/ vehicle. Our site had a fire pit, picnic table and large screened in room. We previously camped in the Raven Hill Camping Area (full hook-ups) but most of the sites in the area are NOT level; will not stay in that section again. Park Rangers were VERY friendly and courteous. There is a small "beach" area, miles of great hiking/mountain bike riding, a Nature Center and horseback riding (supplied via on-site vendor). This park is part of a National Forest and can be somewhat difficult to navigate in a larger motorhome. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

S20
Fire Ring, Picnic Table, Patio

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $20.00

Could be really nice but behind on maintenance. Our site had low voltage issues. Most sites would not accomodate a bigger rig, we are 35ft. Barely fit. We camped at Huntsville State Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Huntsville State Park

Are you affiliated with Huntsville State Park ?