Camping on the Battenkill

Arlington, Vermont

48 Camping on Battenkill
Arlington, Vermont 05250

• Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities ?
  • Propane Available Propane Available ?
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes
  • Golf Golf yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Camping on the Battenkill" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $43.00

Great wooded site (#34) we could hear the river that was a short walk thru the woods. The owners/staff are very helpful and friendly. The fire wood that they sell at the camp store was some of the best that I've bought at any campground, it even comes with 2 firestarter sticks. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Sand
Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

Covered Forested

Many trails to hike. Manchester town is a few miles north with many shops and eats.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $33.00

This is a large campground with a lot of trees. The roads are packed dirt as well as the sites. Heavy rain made it rather muddy. Each site is reasonably level, but it varies from site to site. Most sites are heavily treed, with little sunshine. Makes for a cool, comfortable setting without ac. There are some sites located around an large open grass area that receive more sun. The campground borders the Battenkill river with good access. A lot of tubers, waders, and kayaks. Any fishing is pre or post "tuber hatch". There are 2 areas with seasonal/permanent residents. Many sites are for tents, pop ups or small trailers. Point of contention. I know I booked a FHU site, but when I arrived it was 30 Amp, no sewer. The host explained I did not book a FHU site. Apparently, it is "common" in the NE to request a FHU and not get one. They offer a dump station and portable dump tank instead. There is only one restroom with two toilets and one shower for a very large area - not nearly adequate. The rest rooms are "surface clean", not too thorough. Overall, it is a beautiful setting, mostly quiet, and peaceful. It is "family friendly, so a lot of kids running/biking around. Even with the several complaints, we probably would return. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

28 - A Loop

Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Close to five covered bridges. 20 min to Manchester - home of Orvis and boutique shopping. Many Vermont specialty stores close by - cheese, maple syrup, crafts, and more.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $35.00

We had a gorgeous spot on the river. Beautiful and peaceful. Sites nicely spaced. Very nice owners. Functional restrooms (but bathhouse nearest the river had only one shower; I never had to wait). No late arrivals without reservations, so make reservations! Recommended. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Travel Trailer.

Visit the Sugar Shack. They have an excellent Rockwell museum, with fascinating details about Arlington townspeople. They have tasty treats too.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $39.00

Great, little park for the price. Roads are a bit tight to drive thru, but the amenities and park's character make up for it. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Travel Trailer.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Featured Campgrounds Near Camping on the Battenkill

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $45.00

A rustic CG on the Battenkill River. Friendly staff. Sites are dirt so they get pretty muddy in the rain. Very wooded which is nice but use bud spray. Looks like a number of permanents. Fishing must be excellent and Swimming area and big field for play. Lots of camping options here with some great sites right on the river. Easy access off Rt 7. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $39.00

$39 / night, W/E50/I; The campsite has both wooded and open field sites. We were in an open level grass field site but were uncomfortably close to our neighbors. With our slides open, we were less then 10 feet to where our neighbors were sitting on their site. They offer internet but the signal is poor. We would still stay here again since we are not overly picky but it was a disappointment at this price (Not that this price was overly expensive but we've had much better sites at this price). Just beware. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

Grass

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $39.00

Camping on the Battenkill is located on the edge of Arlington, VT, a cute village that is, as far as I can tell, not near anything else. The three main attractions are trout fishing (catch and release), maple syrup, and Norman Rockwell (he lived here for 14 years). The park is quite nice. It's large and the sites are spread out all over the land. When I called for a reservation, she asked whether I wanted a site by the river, in the forest, or in the open. I chose a river site, and indeed, our site was a back in site where I could have backed right into the river if I had wanted. The people at the next site were fly fishing in the river. The river and forest sites are both deeply forested. All the sites appear to be level, and look to be fairly easy to get into. Roads were dirt, and bumpier than I would have liked, but we had no trouble getting around, even after a full day of heavy rain. I watched a workman come and clean each site as campers left. About half of the sites are seasonal. The seasonal sites are in the trees, in a separate section from the transient sites. Bathrooms looked a bit scary so we didn't try them. There were a couple of washers and dryers. Also a game room that we didn't really look at. Verizon and AT&T were both good enough to stream video. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

Covered Forested

We visited the New Skete Monastery, about 30 minutes away outside of Cambridge, NY. Fantastic place.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $38.00

We booked at the last minute and split our time between 2 sites. Both sites were very good, level and plenty of room. Part shade most of the day but enough sun to hit the solar panels. 18b was the best spot. We had a 26 foot class C, and still had plenty of room for the tow vehicle to park in front. Both sites were full hook ups, but 19b was a 50 amp service so we used an adapter. The office is very good working with you to change sites as we had originally booked 14b, but didn't like the branches hanging down that we would have to drive thru, plus the site was un-level and slanted. I did see class A rigs come into the campgrounds but they were hitting limbs. The bathrooms/showers are dated and I used my own shower. We did have to use our own pump as water pressure was too low to make the on demand water heater work. I would stay here again, using my own shower. It's is a friendly, quiet camp grounds close to lots of hiking, outlet mall and great restaurants. I would give this campground 5 stars if the bathrooms/showers were updated and cleaner. When someone leaves, they clean the fire pits and do a site clean up to include remove any left over wood. Pets: only saw 5 dogs off leashes the 8 nights we were here, that's pretty good for as big as it is. Every morning our screened cooking tent was peed on, seems it liked 2 corners. One neighbor put their dog on a long rope that reached under our RV to our picnic table. It was pretty funny when she started licking my knee during breakfast. Tips: walk to your site before driving in, its a maze of roads and hard to get turned around if you make a wrong turn. Bring bug spray. Full hook up sites that look good: 21, 22, 23, 19, 18, 17. Some river sites were pretty, electric only. The roads are filled with pot holes, be careful. Look for over head for hanging branches, bring bug spray. When parking, check for hanging dead branches. Over all, not impossible to maneuver thru them. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

19b 18b

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $39.00

We stayed at site 7, which was next to the river. Large, level site with plenty of tree cover and buffer from the neighbors. Met the owner in the office, very pleasant. Small arcade, large playing field with swings, merry-go-round. The river is the feature of this campground, we went on several river tube rides, both within the park, and from the park down about 2.5 miles to a pick-up point. Water was crystal clear and refreshing, lots of fun. Bring your tubes and water shoes. Beach was small but very clean. Sugar shack is a 5 minute walk, where they have tons of Vermont made products and a Norman Rockwell exhibit. The town rec field and municipal golf course are also just a few minutes walk away. We absolutely loved the peace and quiet here, and can't wait to return. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Travel Trailer.

Site 7
Dirt, Sand

The Sugar Shack is a quick walk and worth a look. River tubing or kayaking is a must do. Mt Equinox is nearby with a summit road.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $37.00

The campground is on the river, the sites along the river are for tent camping for the most part, there are a few in an open field that are along the river. Nice swimming hole, at the campsite. The campground could use some tree trimming, there are some sites that bigger rigs can get into, there are more that you can not. My only complaint is that the cable did not really work well enough to use. I asked at the office, and they told me it must be my rig, because they had just had the whole park re-wired in the spring. This was not true, and next place we stayed with cable it worked just fine. It was not that big of a deal, I just don't like being misled. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

19B
Dirt, Sand

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Manchester is a cool little town, it is where the original Orvis store is located, and a must see for fishing enthusiasts. We took a jeep ride through Green Mountains National Forest which was very pretty. Bennigton is 17miles to the South for groceries, hardware, anything you need.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $39.00

We made last-minute reservations at this park, so we had a spot in the open field, which wasn't much to look at, but we had it almost to ourselves. The sites on the river were beautiful, however. Our family had fun wading in the river. The bathrooms and showers needed a good cleaning, esp of spiders. Even our teenage boys didn't want to go in! The staff was very friendly, and this campground was a good value for the area, which tends to be more expensive. We would go back to this park. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Fifth Wheel.

Open Field
Fire Ring

Bennington Monument is a short drive away and quite interesting. We drove the 1.5 hours south to the Norman Rockwell Museum, which was wonderful. But just as wonderful was the Sugar Shack, just a block away from the campground, where you can taste maple syrup and other treats, and walk through their own Norman Rockwell Museum, where they feature stories and paintings of the locals who were the models in Rockwell's works. We had a great time!

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $39.00

My husband and I camped here for our anniversary weekend. What a wonderful campground. We had a site on the Battenkill River which was beautiful. We could hear the river running day and night. We took several walks around camp and found very friendly outgoing seasonal campers that were willing to answer all our questions about the area. The owners are lovely people who have done a great job since taking over in February. Our site was very spacious and FLAT! We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Lots to do in Bennington and Manchester, wish we had stayed longer. Nice quiet campground. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Sand

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $39.00

This campground was extremely quiet at night, just the way we like them. No road noise, no airports, no Interstate highways close by. We had a choice and picked a very wooded site which we liked. Unfortunately our second day was nothing but steady rain, which caused us to spend more time in the campground than we normally do, but there were no negatives to report on. They do have good WiFi, but make sure you get the code from the office because it won't work without it. We received only 4 PBS channels via our antenna, but we weren't here to sit and watch the tube. If in the area, we would stay here again. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Travel Trailer.

Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $36.00

New owners this season. Service level very high - they stay open until 8:30 for late check-ins, and were open in late April, while many other NH campgrounds don't open until May, sometimes late May. Very friendly. Sites are separated and the campground is lightly wooded, enough to give a sense of privacy without feeling closed in. Roads are hard-packed gravel. Sites are dirt and might be muddy in wet weather. Bathrooms are rustic but very clean and well-maintained. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Motorhome.

North of Bennington, US 7 is a nicely landscaped divided highway

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $34.00

We have camped here on several occasions and always enjoy our stay. The dog park is a large fenced in area so the dogs get plenty of room to run. You are close to both Manchester and Bennington VT, The park itself is quaint and friendly. The access roads could use some attention as there are several potholes and low hanging limbs. You need to pay attention for sure. We camped at Camping on the Battenkill in a Fifth Wheel.

various sites
Grass

Manchester and Bennington VT. as well as several little shops etc.

Featured Campgrounds Near Camping on the Battenkill

Are you affiliated with Camping on the Battenkill ?