Prince William Forest RV Campground

Dumfries, Virginia

16058 Dumfries Rd
Dumfries, Virginia 22025

• Cabins / Cottages / Yurts Cabins / Cottages / Yurts ?
  • Recreational Trails Recreational Trails yes
  • Horseshoes Horseshoes no

Ask fellow campers about "Prince William Forest RV Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $50.00

Very few RV park options available close in to Washington, DC. This park is 32 miles out, one of the closest. Park staff were very friendly and accommodating. Park maximized the space available to provide pull through sites. Spaces are short, but ours was fine for our 26 ft. motorhome. Parking for tow vehicles was adjacent to RV rather than in front or behind. Site was fairly level, but had to use leveling blocks. No extra parking next to laundry room. Had to park in vacant RV site to unload laundry. Six washers and dryers available at $2 each. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

E7
Asphalt, Gravel

Museum of the Marine Corp nearby at Quantico. About 16 miles to Springfield/ Franconia Metro into Washington, DC.

Date of Stay: May, 2019 - $50.00

Decent older park adjacent to the national park. Interior roads and sites are paved, but not very level. Heavily wooded but no issues with overhead branches. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2019 - $43.00

This was our 2nd visit to Prince William Forest RV Campground. Pros: Centrally located if your goal is to tour Northern Virginia historic sites; nightly fees a bit high but not excessive for the area; park amenities adequate and well-maintained; propane available; park manager, if asked, willing to offer general visitor info. Cons: Sites are closely spaced, parking pads often short and uneven, little personal privacy; limited number of sites available for BIG RIGS; tall tree cover is welcome during the summer but creates a dark and dreary mood during the rainy winter months. For us the CG is an OK place to stay if your goal is to spend most of your day visiting the area; it's not a CG we recommend if your goal is to hang-out and visit with friends. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

B Loop

Date of Stay: September, 2018 - $37.00

We used a Good Sam discount and paid the $5 to guarantee the site via phone. Only stayed 2 nights for a wedding in the area Sept. 8/9. Site B2 needed some leveling, was paved with nice picnic table. Our site was long enough for our 15' teardrop, but we needed to park our Ram pickup crossways, which made it very close to the loop road. Check in was quick and friendly owners. Ice available as well as propane and RV supplies. A short walk to the restrooms which were code entry, very clean and showers worked great. If we were staying in the area again, we would reserve C2 - seemed to be a little roomier and has a large shade tree. Check out the site numbers on the website and read all reviews. Pool looked nice, but we did not use. No fire ring at most sites, but you could reserve one for a nightly fee along with firewood purchase. Pretty quiet, not a lot of kids using the playground. If we would have had more time and if the weather was nicer we would have walked to the rear of the park to check out row F. We were very pleased with staying here. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Asphalt
Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

A must go to restaurant is Brother's Encore Italian Restaurant on Waterway Dr in the Lake Montclair Center - very close to the campground. A nice drive to the battlefield in Manassas and easy access to Rt 95 and Rt 1.

Featured Campgrounds Near Prince William Forest RV Campground

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $42.00

This campground is best suited for smaller RVs (32 feet and under) and people looking for convenience to DC rather than an actual parklike setting (rated "good" based on that criteria). Most sites are cramped. There are a few longer, shadier sites F12-F18 (50amp full hookup, back-in) in last row but be sure to bring leveling blocks because those sites are low in the rear. Two more rows of full hookup pull-through sites (D & E rows) but it might be a challenge to fit anything longer than 30 feet. Rows B & C are 30 amp E/W. F1-F10 (nice shade) suitable only for tents, pop-ups, or camper vans. Propane for sale near office. Over the air TV signal good. Verizon signal good. Very nice laundry room near bathhouse. Nice little pool. Tiny playground. Small dog park is a nice touch. Camp hosts were very helpful and pleasant. Definitely will return when visiting the area. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Asphalt

Plenty of shopping nearby. Not far from public transportation. A good park to use as a home base for excursions into the DC metro area. Pricey, but then so is everything else in the area.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $40.00

Manager was rude he put out our fire with a garden hose the power was out for 6 hrs because of maintenance on campground 92 degrees fri 9-3 pm. Got a refund and then we left to a nicer campground We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $32.00

We have stayed here twice over the past few months, as it provides access, albeit distant, to Washington DC. Distance to VRE station is less than 30 minutes. This campground is a overpriced KOA in disguise. Having to pay additional for our granddaughter was an insult. That said, the sites are clean, but close together and very short. A 36ft site does not mean 37 or 36.5ft. There is a pool, which we did not use, but it appeared to be clean. The restrooms were generally clean, but still smelled of urine. Our 30amp power had a bad leg, but in actuality, the entire circuit did. Many systems would not fault on that but ours did. They blamed our rig, but after 25000 miles before Prince William and 5 campgrounds later, our system is still working fine. This CG is good for location, but I would not spend my vacation there. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Sunny Open, Some Shade

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $55.00

A heavily wooded campground adjacent to the Prince William Forest park. The park has a nice pool area in the center of it with bathrooms, showers and laundry services. The park has no working wifi and does not offer cable. There are several different site options from water and electric only to full hook up sites. The sites along the center roads are pull through with the edge sites being back in. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F17
Fire Ring

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $56.00

The sites are very tight especially in the middle of the park. And the long ones in the back are very narrow - our site barely fit our car because we could not back up any farther or we would have hit the awning on the RV next to us. Nice wooded setting. Paved roads, the small interior sites are paved also. Quiet and clean park. The RRs are outdated, but clean. The lot attendant patrolled often and was personable and helpful. The office person needs to learn better customer service skills. I called ahead to ask if there were any special instructions to get into the park and she said "Well, you could use your GPS and do what it tells you." Really? This is customer service? When I explained that the GPS told us that we would have to make a u-turn to get it, she explained that this was inaccurate, that there was a left turn lane to get in and gave very good instructions. Once I arrived and gave her my name and site #, she said that she had to move us from the F row to the D row - this is from the back larger sites to the very small sites in the middle of the park. I explained that we will be here all week and reserved this spot back in March - we want the F row. She asked for the name of the person who gave me the site # three times - all I could tell her was that it was a very helpful man - I did not ask for his name. Then she said they do not guarantee sites. Well obviously I did not pull this site # out of thin air - its the # he gave me after describing the different kinds of sites! Then she asked if I paid the extra $5 to guarantee the site. No, I was not told I had to pay $5 extra or I would have. She finally relented and gave me the promised site (it was empty). She said she would have to "call the other people (who were coming in tomorrow) and explain." There are not a lot of options for the DC area. This RV park is quite workable if you do not mind tight spaces. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F14

I addition to all of the attractions in DC, go to Alexandria, VA - historic King Street is awesome and don't forget to check out the Torpedo Factory Art Center. The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a very short drive just SE of the campground. Go on a day where you can walk the mile long path to scores of memorials. It is a wide winding sidewalk - beautifully landscaped - gorgeous!

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $45.00

Very small sites, couldn't open awning or outside kitchen door, would have been sticking out in the road, night manager kicked us out 2 days early because Uber driver was driving fast. Would not even let us explain that we did not know this guy. We called the next day and they just blew us off, I wouldn't stay here!! This whole experience with this place has left me dissatisfied with the RV life style. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $44.00

There is a lot to like about this campground, but a lot that I really didn't like at all. First, the likes: -Campground staff were wonderful. -The bathrooms, showers, and pool were spotless. -We loved the mature trees all around and the walking trails in the park. -The location is convenient. -The price isn't bad. Now ... the dislikes: -The pavement was in bad shape all around. -The sites weren't level -Each campsite "row" was basically treeless, with no landscaping in between sites. -The sites weren't long enough to park your trailer and your car, and we have a small trailer. You have to park your car next to your trailer, making your space even smaller. And, even our small trailer was close to hanging out into the road. -The sites in E loop (and A through D) were practically on top of each other. There was only a small strip of grass in between each of them. Each row was basically a parking lot, and I despise that type of campground. -You have to pay extra for a fire pit, which is absurd. In the end, it was disappointing to have a parking lot style campground in a national park. We were in town for my son's soccer tournament, and if we have that tournament next year I might come back to this park, but only because it's convenient to the soccer fields. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

E13
Not big enough for my travel trailer

The Marine Corp Museum is pretty close. Also, if you need food or supplies, there's a Target just a couple of miles away.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $35.00

Staff were helpful and friendly. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Showers looked clean and roomy although I showered in my camper. Campground is just of I-95 and convenient to DC, Mount Vernon, Arlington and other sites in the area. The Franconia Metro station is nearby and we used that to day trip into DC. There is a pool but it was not open yet. Roads were good and well maintained. The sites on F-loop are intended for small RVs and popup trailers. Were were in a 25 ft travel trailer. The site was a little short. I fit by parking the truck at an angle. These sites are very unlevel as well. I used all of my stabilizer blocks and leveling blocks to get close to level. First step up was pretty high to get in. Also had to switch from F3 to F5. F3 was just not doable. If your rig is bigger that 24 feet don't use F-1 through F8. The full hookup sites at the end of F loop are level. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

F 5
Fire Ring

They also have several dry storage parking area you can rent by the day. We used one for 12 dollars. On our last day we packed up and left the camper there drove over to Mt. Vernon. Stopped in on our way home and picked up the camper. Very handy if you live south of DC.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $35.00

Very clean, easily accessible with excellent service and convenient to I-95. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

C12
Asphalt

IHOP was close, convenient and good service and food.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $54.00

For what you get, it sure is very high. I don't usually complain about price, but there is nothing to offer. Electric was so, so when the AC's were on. Sewer connection was not very convenient. It was at the end of site. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

D14

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

There is shopping in the area. There is a Walmart near by. The site had broken concrete all over.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $54.00

This campground was a total disappointment and is overpriced. It is not being maintained well. Roads have deteriorated. Sites are unbelievably short. There are issues with adequate and intermittent power. In desperate need of rehabilitation and redesign to accommodate modern rigs. Short RV's may find it adequate. We will not be back to this facility. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F
Asphalt, Gravel

Good location for shopping at Potomac Mills and reasonably close to I-95

Featured Campgrounds Near Prince William Forest RV Campground

Are you affiliated with Prince William Forest RV Campground ?