Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA)

Staunton, Virginia

Hours above shown for Eastern Time Zone

• 55+ Only 55+ Only ?
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA)" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $44.00

A nice place all-in-all. We would stay here again if needed. Our site was very level. There were 2 issues of note. The first is that if you are going to the pull throughs near the entrance require a drive through about 1/2 the park to get back to them after you register and then again when you leave. The second is that satellite reception in that area is hit-or-miss. On the satellite pictures they look like they are wide open but some VERY TALL trees across the entry road can block reception depending on the specific site and antenna location on the RV. Still...as I said, a nice place. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $50.00

This was our first time here. Far exceeded our expectations. Staff friendly and helpful. We got our spot that we reserved when booking. Campground was well maintained. Very quiet and peaceful at night. Definitely has become a favorite “close by” place to stay. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Picnic Table, Fire Ring

Some Shade, Sunny Open

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $40.00

It was a beautiful Campground. Rolling hills were so peaceful. Only had 1 night but want to go back for a few days and really see the area. Our site was next to pool and little store. They have plenty of sites with all hook ups. We chose the water and electric only. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $44.00

Stayed here for overnight stays traveling back and forth from NC. No trouble maneuvering a 44 ft. MH and toad to get to our site in the front section. Nicely landscaped and improvements to accommodate larger units. The front sites are narrow, but perfect for an overnight stay for us. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA)

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $48.00

50amp electric, water and cable, with no sewer at site (dump station available). Area is pretty. Roads are narrow with tight turns. Our site was a spacious, gravel pull-through. Cute decorations. Pretty farm country surrounds campground. Site 126 on the end was ideal. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Fire Ring

Tight Turns

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $56.00

We stayed here for 8 days in August and had a fantastic time in this beautiful campground and exploring the surrounding area. We arrived from the north on 655, from US 11. There are no low hanging branches coming in that way. 655 from US 340 has a few low branches, but unless you are over 13' there's no problem. Check in was quick and easy and the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about things to do around Staunton. Getting up to the full hook up pull throughs was no problem towing a 41' fifth wheel. There is about a 200 yard stretch where 2 way traffic can be tough due to a narrow road, but if you pause for a minute before proceeding, you can actually see if anyone is coming down the hill. Never had nose-to-nose traffic problems the entire week. The campground is beautifully laid out - rolling hills, lots of shade, and VERY well maintained. The staff is constantly moving about cleaning and updating things. They are also all very friendly and happy to help. I've been RVing over 25 years and this was the best staff I've ever dealt with. That coupled with the great facilities (pool, disc golf, horseshoes, dog park, playground, fishing pond) and beautiful grounds makes this just about the only "10" campground I've ever stayed in. A few points - site length and amenities/hookups vary greatly throughout the park. Be certain of what your site offers before you book. The full hook up sites are enormous, but others vary. Unless you are a somewhat capable bike rider, leave them at home. The hills are a challenge and I actually saw an elderly lady fall off her bike and hit her head as she ran out of strength coming up the hill to the top level. She was wearing a helmet, thankfully. Last - go explore the area. Within 45 minutes there is an unlimited amount of things to see and places to eat. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Fire Ring, Picnic Table, Patio

Tour Staunton - tons to do and lots of good eateries. We went to see glass blowing, went to the Frontier Culture Museum, Natural Bridge, Crabtree Falls, and drove the BRP and US 250 - all worthwhile excursions. Ate at the Depot, Mill St Grill, Edelweiss, and Shenandoah pizza -all good, though Edelweiss is a bit overrated, IMO. Go to Devils Backbone Base Camp on a weekend for a good time.

Date of Stay: August, 2019 - $45.00

We have camped here for over two years. We went there in March and made our reservations for dates and sites in the camp store for our trips this year. We have already used two of the weekends and arrived on Friday for our third. I was ordering firewood for camp site and noticed the girl wrote down camp site 40. I said we're suppose to be on campsite 35, we made the reservation back in March. We were then told they don't reserve actually site but a suitable site for our type of camper. I asked why we do we waste our time with you looking at the calendar and site if you're going to change them? The owner came out and repeated that they don't reserve actual sites. So be careful and know the camp site that you pick out and reserve you might not get. When I was in the store later I heard another camper signing in that he had reserved a full hook up site but the site he was getting did not have sewage. The clerk said you're near the dump site. Very poor service in this area. I reserve a site because I like that site and it's not open to their discretion to change!!! We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $46.00

Assigned a site at check in, marked on map. During set up 3 cop cars came in fast to the park, didn't make you feel safe. Finished setting up, then someone from office came out & said we're in the wrong site, we had to move to the next door one, that someone had reserved the 1 they put us in. I showed them the map & that we were assigned to that space. Mind you, we're 44' 4 slides & staying 2 nights. So we moved. Turns out the people who came into the site stayed hooked up & left after 1 night. (I think the office actually assigns, it would have been much easier after a hard day of driving to not have to go through all the work of moving). I asked for an adj/discount because of all this & they refused. Price is high, 44 for water/elec. I had rec 2 receipts emailed to me with GS disc. After we left we got another one for an additional 9+. They subtracted the disc. I called & asked why they said my # wasn't valid. I gave them the correct one. (I wasn't asked for a # at check in). Inside driving is hard for big rigs & you can do damage from trees. Plus signage is not great once you're in the turn around area. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $51.00

This is a really nice campground that gives you the rustic feel. It has a beautiful canopy of tree lined interior roads. BUT, that means with the big coaches, They DO try to keep the canopy of trees cut. But it is still a winding, narrow, tree lined road. We only hit one branch on our driver side, top edge of our coach. We did report it, but not sure when they will get to cutting it back. At $50.00 a night, you should not hit any branches with your coach. The traffic pattern is very unique. They have a front RV section, outside the front gates, which means you have to drive all the way through the parks narrow, winding, tree lined, dirt, Dusty roads. And when you leave, you have to make the same long trip. If you have a smaller RV, it really is a pretty drive. If you have a large coach, you feel like you are dodging tree limbs. If you stay in the top section, you only have to make the trip once, and the bathrooms and showers are on the section. They were Immaculate. No air conditioning, but very Clean. I can not say enough GOOD things about this park. They have several large grassy area to walk you dog, or a large fenced in dog park. They have a beautiful view of the mountains, long pull through sites, with picnic tables. They have fire rings, but they seem TOO close to the RVs. They have 30amp hook up on one side of the pedestal 50amp in another box on the other side. They have 2 sets of pedestals. one for 5th wheels that park further back of the site, and another pedestal for Coaches pulling long trailers and pull to the front of the site. This is a park that once you get in, you would just want to stay, kick back and just relax. If we had more time, I think that we would stay longer. We stayed here in a 45' coach. We did have afternoon Shade. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

eazipser, manager at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) responded to this review

Thank you for your feedback - we did in fact trim the limbs you mentioned the same day you reported them to our office. Thanks again for letting us know!

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $54.00

One of the nicest parks we've stayed in. You feel like you're in the middle of a large Virginia farm. We didn't use the pool but it looked great. No road noice at all. Sites were level with lots of huge trees for shade. Nice picnic tables. Staff was very friendly. Wish we could have stayed longer. There is a nice little store at the campground. Other services are a short drive away. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Quite a bit longer than my travel trailer and tow vehicle

TDL

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $54.00

Beautiful, clean park with nice fenced dog park. Would definitely stay here again. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

S_A

Date of Stay: July, 2019 - $45.00

Upon arriving at campground I pulled to the side to allow other campers to get by me. As there isn't really a pull off place. I was maybe 6" on the grass. While I was checking in the owner came up and asked if that was my camper. I said yes, he said no parking on grass! I just had arrived and didn't know it was an issue. My wife saw a man, who at the time, she didn't know was the owner and said he walked out of office then looked at my camper and went running back inside. I then told her what transpired, she said she wondered why he ran back in. The owner showed no friendliness as you would expect from an owner. The sites are small for big rigs unless on top of hill or at entrance away from everything. The option to park your tow vehicle was in the visitor parking. Very inconvenient. I will not stay here again. If it wasn't for losing money I would have left immediately. The fire ring was so close to the camper it was unusable. The owner needs some social skills or get out of the business he is in. The rest of the staff are very nice. He could learn from them. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

At pond area

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $37.00

We stayed in site 45, which was a bit sketchy getting into with a 35'TT at first. Just had to loop around backwards (wrong way on a one way loop) then it wasn't an issue. Backed up to a great little meadow with a winding stream running past. Seemed like pretty good fishing in the pond and streams. Pool was nice and cold, I like it that way though. We will be back often since this is only 60 minutes from our front door. Yet feels like its a world away. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $60.00

We stayed for a long weekend and were on the upper level. There was a nice breeze. With so many levels you didn't feel crowded. The bathrooms were very clean and the staff very helpful. We ran into the one difficulty with being up top and that is when someone is coming down the hill and someone is going up, there is no room to pass and somebody has to back up. The roads up to our site were a little on the narrow side. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Gravel, Grass

We went to Edelweiss German Restaurant for lunch and visited downtown Staunton and the Frontier Culture Museum. The museum was very interesting but required lots of walking. We also went to the Shenandoah National Park ($25.00 each for a motorcycle!) It was beautiful and at that price, the roads weren't crowded. We lunched at the Big Meadow Lodge overlooking the valley. It was quite the view.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $48.00

Well kept. Staff very nice. Loved extra landscaping and plant names. We camped at Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) in a Motorhome.

Picnic Table, Fire Ring

Are you affiliated with Walnut Hills Campground (formerly Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA) ?