4 Poor

190 Smokey Bottom Road
Elkins, West Virginia 26241

Longitude: -79.82013

Elevation: 2059' (approx.)
  • Tent Camping Tent Camping ?
  • Kid Friendly Kid Friendly ?
  • Cabins / Cottages / Yurts Cabins / Cottages / Yurts ?
  • Dump Station Dump Station ?
  • Water Spigot Water Spigot ?
  • Public Phone Public Phone ?
  • Restrooms Restrooms no
  • Showers Showers no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Camp Store Camp Store no
  • Pet Area Pet Area no
  • Propane Available Propane Available no
  • Firewood Available Firewood Available ?
  • Boating Boating ?
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Smokey Bottom Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: June, 2019 - $40.00

Actually a nice campground near a little stream. As the other reviewer mentioned hard to get a hold of owner and it has unlevel sites but found shade, a fire ring and a picnic table. Wifi was great!! I was told by locals that the park has been full of pipeline workers and many have recently left so maybe upgrades/fixes to make it more traveler friendly? One other thing to mention, the local smokehouse rest. (very good) has a band most weekend nights in the summer, sounds like they are in the trailer with you until 1 am. They were good but not great if your a light sleeper. Overall pleasant experience we were only there for a base camp. We camped at Smokey Bottom Campground in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Dirt

Eat at the smokehouse!! Smoke on the Water. You can get food to go.

MAS

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $40.00

This is a very strange park, there appeared to be many permanent residents . When I contacted them to make a reservation I was told to just pull in and to take any available site and that the owner would stop by for payment. We did as instructed. The spots are fairly rough, not level, mostly on grass / mud. We stayed 2 nights while sightseeing in the area, every evening and morning we waited for the owner to collect the fee and tell us the wi-fi code. Nobody ever came, I tried to call him but there is absolutely no Verizon service for miles around. I asked the gentleman parked next to me and he told me the owner said he would come by to collect also. I looked for a pay phone in town, of course there are none anymore. I tried using an IP phone app on my cell phone while at McDonalds and the call wouldn't go through. So early on the third morning my wife and I hooked up and again looked for some indication of where we were to pay the fee but found nothing, so we left, thinking we would contact the owner once we had phone service and get the address to mail him a check. We were about 5 miles out of town when this black pick-up truck zoomed up behind us frantically flashing his lights. I slowed down so he could pass but he wouldn't, just kept zooming up on my bumper flashing his lights. Finally I made a turn to get onto a 4 lane highway and he pulled up beside me screaming something at me out of the open passenger window of his truck. I couldn't figure out what I had done to cause this road rage, honestly he scared my wife and me half to death, he was so angry. Turns out it was the campground owner wanting his money. When I finally realized this I pulled over and he pulled in front of us and came back to the truck in a rage, I tried to explain the effort I had gone through to contact him but he was in a total fury screaming at me, so I just paid him the $80 and he sped off. My suggestion is if you are in Elkins, stay at one of the nearby state / federal parks. We camped at Smokey Bottom Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Dirt, Grass

Featured Campgrounds Near Smokey Bottom Campground

Are you affiliated with Smokey Bottom Campground ?