Adding Solar Options to the Truck & Van the Aussie way

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jason Goodwin, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Over here modifications to the tow vehicle and van are know as build ups.

Here is my latest cunning plan to be more self sufficient

I have now decided its time to add a Solar option for the dual battery system.

Here is the build up to date. I have started a new thread as this impacts both the Prado and the mothership as I am planning the external solar to be able to be used with both.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/goodies-2014-prado-glx-diesel-build-up.5503/

To date I have had a few issues with the 80amh battery fitted to run the Engle in the Prado.

I have had issues with the Solar in the Expanda (It didn't get fitted properly and just doesn't work) so decided to add the portable Solar option to both the Prado and the Expanda.

The items purchased;
    [​IMG]

5 metre 100amp dual cable with 60amp fuse 8mm lugs and 50a Anderson plug sealed in a protective case. Plan to buy a second 6m one for the van.
    $76AUD from Ebay (honestly not worth the trouble and effort to purchase separately and make myself)

[​IMG]

Red Anderson Plug mounting kit
    $21AUD from Ebay (Just makes the set up neat and I have chosen red as it will identify the plug as my Solar only connection)

[​IMG]

The panels $209AUD from Ebay ,and this is where I am seeking feedback, I am leaning towards the 120w units as they would provide sufficient trickle feed for the amount of free camping we do combined with the vehicle & caravan battery sizes. (Top up only)

So its day one so no fitting yet but here is my thinking that will include both installation pictures and commentary;

1. Direct connection to the second 80ah battery under the bonnet of the Prado running along the chassis rail and ending on the towbar frame.
    2. The solar has its own controller, plus the cable includes a 60a fuse, allowing for a direct and safe connection from the panels to the battery.

My questions
    1. How much power will be fed to the battery?
    2. The controller is 10a will that effect how much power is sent to the battery?
    3. Will this provide the trickle feed I seek?

So let the build begin...........

2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So after running the Anderson the full length of the vehicle.......I changed my mind particularly as the drop in transferred power will be greater across the 5 metre cable as opposed to the 50cm cable.
    [​IMG]
    The full set up tucks in nicely beside the air box.
    [​IMG]
    It also allows for me to have the bonnet closed to the first click when plugged in.
    [​IMG]
    The 5 metre cable will now go directly to the van battery via the draw bar andthrough the floor to get maximum use of the panels. Photos of theinstallation to come.

3. Kasey00

Kasey00
    Expand Collapse

Didn't know that the 5 metre cable will now go directly to the van battery. Thanks for this.

Regards,
    Kasey.