" So Quiet...??? "

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Oct 21, 2018.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Where has everyone been lately? Are we the only ones sitting around waiting to get on the road again? Very few posts the past week or so. How about all the "newbies" who have joined in droves this past year, where be you folks? How about introducing yourselves when you have a moment. We are are a friendly bunch and promise not to make fun of you, ignore you, or not respond to your questions or commentary that we welcome from you. I know lots of folks will be buttoning up their RVs with the fast approach of winter but some of us are fortunate enough not to have to do that but still we don't want to be the only ones having fun on this forum so please, do join in and we will make your comments both welcomed and appreciated, so help me Joe Bofongello (whomever the heck he is)............. :rolleyes:

PS: Watch out for Aussies showing pictures from down under. They tend to get you caught up enjoying them and wanting more. Ain't that right Jason............ :D

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A few days ago we made the trek from our friend's farm in Vermont to our site at our lakeside cottage in NY's southern Adirondacks. We stayed at the farm while I helped him get the last of the hay and silage in and helped move his deer and elk herds to their winter yards. Now we'll be catching up on the fall chores here and getting our medical appointments in order before we head south after the holidays. One of our daughters is staying in the cottage while her kitchen is being remodeled, so it's nice to have some help with the leaves, etc., right next door.

And what's everyone else up to???

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Locked down for winter here in AB. I'd hoped to get out during September and early October but the weather put paid to that idea. I lost my onboard water filter when it split open a couple of weeks ago and before I'd got around to winterizing. Now, I can't winterize until I get the replacement filter canister put in place, allowing me to draw antifreeze through the system. At that time I'll also see what else split open I guess. April is soooo long away.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Trailer is all winterized and covered :( next trip april 2019!

I can't believe how quick the cold has come in, went from 80's straight to the 40' and 50's in a couple of weeks. Finishing up with the usual fall house chores so I can start on DW's winter projects :(

Mike

5. rideandfly

rideandfly
    Expand Collapse

Finished winterizing today, but we still camp during winter months at SP campgrounds with restrooms and showers in the Carolinas. Also camp on sites with electricity to run a 110V heater.

Here's a sunrise shot taken at Hunting Island SP SC:

[​IMG]

6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Winter did come early for a lot of us folks. We shared the early snow/cold with Hutch333id as we spent the summer in Alberta so we can understand his frustration about not getting his rig winterized in time.

We were able to head south during a warm spell and have been fortunate to be blessed with warm weather for our travels so far. This morning we woke up in South Dakota and the forecast is calling for fair weather for a few days. Our destination this years is Texas moving only as fast as the weather makes us. We do hope the rains in Texas abate soon for the residents as well as for us.

Safe travels everyone and for those folks stuck in the cold we can send a recipe for Monte Christos. The best way to drink Coffee when it's cold.

Darrell & Jerry

BankShot and rideandfly like this.
  7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We traveled from SD to our winter location in TX just 6 weeks ago. We avoided the cold weather up north but we've had almost continuous rain in coastal TX. Our son in the Dallas area seems to even have had even more than we have.

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We have a trip To Washington state planned over Thanksgiving and as of now it appears the entire trip will be under rainy conditions. But not to worry because we will park the RV for free at a house that put in an electrical outlet just for us. We will bring along an extra couple of jugs of Meadow Visa Red, some clean styro cups, and a full box of unused super flex straws. We can just kick back and enjoy listening to the rain on the roof after TG dinner has been served and eaten. It just don't get any mo betta than that...........Indeed..........:D

BankShot..................(aka Terry)

#8 BankShot, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Rollin Ollens and rideandfly like this.
  9. rideandfly

rideandfly
    Expand Collapse

Hope y'all have better weather!!!!

We towed through heavy rain in northern Texas and western Oklahoma a couple weeks ago. During the same day while camping in western Oklahoma, there were reported tornadoes (early October), but none reported around Foss Lake State Park.

10. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We just got back from our last trip of the season: Anchor Down. Upon return, we winterized so the coach is put to bed until the Spring thaw comes. Gonna be a long 6 months.

Lori-

BankShot likes this.
  11. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

"Chuck", our motorhome was winterized in early September, but we will un-winterize it for a Thanksgiving trip to Oklahoma city. I don't mind some cold, but I hope the snow holds off.

Chris g.

BankShot likes this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

------------------------------------------------------------------
    I feel for all you folks who put their RVs to bed over the winter months, especially those like Lori who do so for 6 months..........:( We head north into Washington over Thanksgiving each year and some years we have decent weather with some rain but a couple of times we got caught in snow both on the road and at our destination. I will say one thing, it sure makes for a surprise when our 6 lb Chihuahua sets foot down into a 6 to 8 inches of white stuff she's not accustomed to. She will turn around and give us a look that says, "What the heck did you just do to me!!!" Hope the winter gods are good to everyone this upcoming season and that you all can have your RVs back in service again sooner than later. Now get out there and toss a snowball for old BankShot please........... :D

Happy winter everyone, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

PS: Hey Chris - Never thought about giving our motorhome a name but I like that idea. Will work on one and see what I can come up with............ :rolleyes:

Paythebill likes this.
  13. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

Oh, so let's play the Name Game. (not the "Shirley, Shirley bo-ber-ley" version);)

Our Arctic Fox 5th wheel is named "Foxy Lady".

14. rideandfly

rideandfly
    Expand Collapse

Winterized "Ollie" last week and changed oil & oil filter on tow vehicle last weekend. Fixed Ollie's nightstand drawer and cutout plastic base for LP bottles this morning. Packing Ollie's wheel bearings with grease and replacing seals today. Next will wash/wax and put Ollie in a hangar until the next trip this winter.

Bill and Debbie

[​IMG]

#14 rideandfly, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    mdcamping and Rollin Ollens like this.
  15. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

You didn't name the Tundra "Stan"?

16. rideandfly

rideandfly
    Expand Collapse

I like it, will think about that!

#16 rideandfly, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  17. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

W
    Hey Chris; We passed through your area a couple of days ago. We found the temps to be just fine. 26 C works for us. Right now we are a bit south of you and seeing snow flakes in the air. Tomorrow we hustle our butt into New Mexico looking for some heat. I hope this snow doesn't last and you have fair weather for your trip.

Darrell & Jerry

18. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have a pretty plain name for our motor home.....Coach. Our Jeep is named Jake because it is a Wrangler JK. I know....we have no imagination at all!

Darrell & Jerry

mdcamping, BankShot and rideandfly like this.
  19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We have no imagination I guess, so we call our RAV4 "Red". Our motorhome is simply called "Home"... ;)

20. rideandfly

rideandfly
    Expand Collapse

Rick, Thanks for the idea!

[​IMG]

mdcamping, RickB, NYDutch and 2 others like this.