" PURE GREED, et al "

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by BankShot, Dec 12, 2018.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Won't mention any names or events here but I just finished reading a review of an RA park that is really nothing more than a semi paved over parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Their regular advertised rate for a 30 amp FHU pull thru site is $45/night with a special available discount of $40 if a GS member. All's well and great as that appears to be about the going rate/rates for many parks and campgrounds nowadays. Now here's the rub, at least for us it is. There is a special event held in the area once a year and for that event week those normal rates escalate from $125 to $150/night for the same exact site. Give me a break!!! A hundred and fifty bucks a night to park your RV in a slightly glorified parking lot out in the sticks. . . . . !!! Really............. :eek: Talk about greed being shown at it's very best.............. o_O

This is only my take on it, others may have a different opinion but to me that is really ripping off RVers big time. Then again I guess if the hotels and motels can pull it off then why not the RV park...........:confused:

BankShot...................(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  2. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

Well, yeah. It's common (and even expected) that hotels have higher rates during special events. Why wouldn't RV parks?

And it wouldn't be paying to park in a glorified parking lot out in the sticks--it would be paying to park in a glorified parking lot near a special event.

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Marketing 101: Charge what the market will bear...

Cyclonic and Paythebill like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I can both see and understand a slight to even a moderate increase in lodging and RV park rates during special events, etc. What I don't accept is the gouging that goes on at these times. To double and triple rates to me is unethical and wreaks of greed. But again, that's what we as a society have come to accept and continue to pay for so as Walter Kronkite would say, "And that's the way it is". Or was it "That's the way it be". Or possibly "That's the way it are"............. :D

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect, what you characterize as greed others would consider simply capitalizing on one's circumstances. No one makes anyone pay those prices. But if enough people are willing to pay why would a business charge any less? Small businesses aren't charities; it's difficult to run a one and make a decent profit at year's end. If a business can capitalize on a local event why shouldn't they? It helps make up for all the other weeks when there aren't any attractions to draw in customers. JMO

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

My point here is that I don't feel a doubling or tripling of prices should be levied just because an event comes to town. As I indicated prior raising prices during the event is fine but when it becomes gouging as it's commonly known, that's when the word greed enters in IMHO. Indeed it isn't easy running any small business, and making a decent profit, so as to keep the business going, is even harder in many cases. Hey, if someone is fine with paying double and triple rates that's their choice. I can be a cheapskate at times and this would one of those times for me. I doubt anyone will ever see our coach parked in some paved over parking lot with minimal amenities and paying $125 a night to be there, event or no event. I'll go find a open field, dry camp, and spend the $125 on some good food and drink and maybe even have a tad left to put some fuel in the tank............ :D

Nice we all have choices, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Call it what you like, but the attached screenshot gives the pricing for RV sites at the 2019 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. Prices start at $40/night for dry camping and go all the way up to $250/night for water and electric depending on location!
    balloons.JPG

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Your points are well taken Joel and I do understand what you are saying. For me it's still price gouging but for a good reason no doubt in the minds of those doing the gouging. I can accept paying a $40 nightly rate to dry camp at the balloon festival but not $250 nightly for hookups. If someone is willing to pay those rates, again that's their choice. It happens at most all venues like that whether it's the balloon festival in Albuquerque, Hot August Nights in Reno, or the big Sturgis, ND motorcycle rally, etc. One pays to play and again it's all a matter of how much one is willing to do so. By the way, have you ever been to the balloon festival? Quite spectacular if I do say so myself........:D

All the best to you, travel safe, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We lived in ABQ for 5 years in the 90's. Even crewed for a balloon one yesr!

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow!!! That must have been a great time for you. To watch the balloons is one thing but to actually crew one, well that would be incredible. I've been once and that was something to see for sure. By the way, in my above post I noticed that I placed Sturgis in ND and I know darn well it's in SD. These old bony fingers don't walk the keys like they once did it seems............ :(

Up, up, and away, Terry............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Parks charge those special event prices for one reason... People pay them...

Cyclonic, Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------------
    That about sums it up as well as anything else said. Good one Dutch, I couldn't agree more. Probably part of "The More We Pay, The Mo Betta We Feel" crowd............. :D

Happy Holidays to you, Terry.................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  13. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

You mentioned Sturgis. Parks in the immediate area make 75% or more of their income during the rally and the week on either side. Would you feel better if they just left their price at $150 a night all the time and when you show up to stay during the non event times they tell you "We would love to charge you only $40 a night, but that would mean you would think we were price gouging when we raised our prices during the gravy time, so we just leave it at the gravy price year round." Fact of the matter is those days at $150 a night are much more important to that business than days at $40. For many businesses their success or failure hinges on short windows of opportunity. If it wasn't for their ability to maximize their income during these periods, they likely wouldn't exist at all.

Do you also consider the event facility to be practicing "Pure Greed' as well since you can probably enter the facility for free when nothing is going on, yet they might be charging upwards of several hundred dollars when teams are playing, cars are racing, or Balloons are flying? I don't know of too many businesses that don't have different rates for different times. I expect to pay a premium if I need a plumber on Christmas. Are your average Lunch Pail Larrys practicing Pure Greed when they get time and half or Double time to work on holidays? Under your definition, it looks like the label fits.

#13 newkcmoedoe, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    BamaRama, Paythebill and docj like this.
  14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Vermont holds a yearly Balloon festival that we attended 5 yrs ago, the VT one is most likely much smaller than the Albuquerque Balloon Festival but the VT one is also very popular. We stayed at the KOA down the road, paid $51 per night for full hookups. I remember we booked the last remaining site in early January and we felt fortunate.

I guess we would try to shop around before paying the $100+ per night

Here's our view! :cool:

[​IMG]

Mike

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It was not, and still is not, my intent to "start anything" with this thread. We are all different and we all have different feelings about where we toss our anchors out and how much we feel we want to pay for that chore. And I understand that. I value everyone's opinion and ideas on this forum and respect them also. This is just a personal issue for me and one I deal with by simply not paying the rates that are being charged at these various events. Believe it or not but I can actually understand and see why some of the high end "Motorcoach Resorts" charge the prices they do. Just look at the amenities offered such as built in bricked BBQ patio areas with palapas and even outdoor bars, sinks, and refrigerators, etc. We have yet to stay at one but someday, wallet willing, we will just to see how the other half tosses out their anchors. Comparing a Motel 6 to a Sheraton Royal would be similar to comparing an average RV park to one of these over the top RV resorts. So with me it's something called "principle" and not because I am a tightwad or don't want to see an RV park make a buck and remain in business, etc. I'll end this on that note and hope everyone can perhaps see my position a tad more clearly.............:D

Is it wine time yet?.............BankShot.........(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'd get a nosebleed at that height Mike............. :eek: Terry

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We stayed in a place like that exactly one time during our first winter as full-timers. We have no interest in ever going to another one, regardless of price. When we travel we enjoy seeing the scenery, historic and cultural points of interest, visiting museums, etc. Activities at our RV park is very low on our priority list. We spend the winter on our own site in south TX where we are active enough in the local community to have friends and multiple things to do every week.

I realize that our perspective isn't shared by everyone, but I know that we are representative of one segment of the RV community that looks for nothing more of an RV park than a safe, attractive place to stay whether it be overnight or a week or two. I use Yellowstone Grizzly as an excellent example of a park that could have charged a lot more than the $70/night that we paid (for its best sites) if it had wanted to turn itself into an "RV resort." But, I think, the management understands that the real attraction is Yellowstone NP itself and people don't stay there because they are looking for the RV park to provide the entertainment. If more park owners realized that not all RVers are seeking to be entertained, I think park prices could be held to more reasonable levels.

Paythebill likes this.
  18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Couldn't agree more with what you stated here Joel. We travel in much the same manner as you do. We don't RV to stay at RV parks, we do so to see the country and all that it has to offer. We like to stay at decent parks and campgrounds along the way and on occasion will step it up a notch and spend a tad more to stay at a really nice one, etc. We aren't into the "party scenes" that take place at some parks and usually stick pretty much to ourselves without of course coming off as snobbish or unsociable, etc. Besides if we were to pull into one of those high end resorts we'd most likely feel really out of place with our gas powered coach that would fit inside the bedroom of a few of those super high end coaches that frequent those types of resorts. Give us the open road and lots of great scenery and we be happy RVers all the time............... :D

Regards., Terry..............(aka BankShot)

Fun finders, docj and Paythebill like this.
  19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

On the other end of the price spectrum from the "resorts", the 94 nights we'll spend in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina state and national parks this winter average out to $26/night. 24 of those nights will be on full hookup sites, and the rest on water and electric sites. And all of them have a variety of natural and man-made attractions in the area to keep us busy if we're so inclined.

Paythebill, mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Now we're talkin'........... I can remember not too long ago when $26/night was outrageous to many. But times have changed and the old days of pulling into a FHU park and paying say $14/night are long gone. I am dating myself here I realize that but that's just how it is now. We average probably around $35 to $40/night at the parks we stay at and even a few of those parks have increased prices lately. It is what it is and like everything else, with each passing year we dig deeper and deeper into the old wallet to pay for our fun times.............

BankShot..................(aka Terry)

Paythebill, mdcamping and NYDutch like this.