USA Florida and Surrounds 2021

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jason Goodwin, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Yesits early days but the planning has started for an RV trip to Disneyworld and surrounds. Planning on a trip around late March early April for 3 weeks. As per last trip any initial ideas you guys have would be fantastic.

So planning the following so far;
    Fly in and out of Orlando
    Stay in the Disney RV Park
    Kennedy Space Centre
    Miami?

Over to you all for ideas. We would love to visit so other states whilst there.

2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Just to add we are planning 7 to 8 days between Universal Studios parks and Disney Parks with the remaining time up for advice. Maybe head north to Charlotte or Kentucky REALLY appreciate the input

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason I'll add my 1 cent here as it's been 18 yrs since we have been to Disney world and I have forgotten many of the rides and they probably have changed most of them anyways.... but.... If you go to Seaworld watch out for the ride "Kraken" this ride is not for the timid, there was some serious thrills! :cool:

Mike

Paythebill and Jason Goodwin like this.
  4. Piano58

Piano58
    Expand Collapse

I live in florida. Ft wilderness in disney is way overpriced. We have wonderful state parks. Go tubing down the rainbow river in Dunnellon See the manatees at Homasassa Springs. Do a 3hr lunch cruise on St johns river in sanford on the St Johns Rivership. St Augustine is nice ghost tours sail boats horse carriages museums. Old Fort Lightner Museum good restaurants

5. scb5th wheel

scb5th wheel
    Expand Collapse

I have never used a forum before so if this is not where I belong, please redirect me. I am looking for full hookup rv camping on the gulf coast that is not of the megaresort variety. I would like a little space and privacy...does not have to be direct waterfront but no more than 30 minutes or so from the beach. Any such thing or am I searching for a unicorn?

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the forum
    One of our top go Rv parks is Raccoon River in Panama City Beach. Some sites offer a little bit more space and privacy than others. A phone call to them would answer these questions. Best of all it’s only a 5 minute walk to the beach,give them a try we think you like it there.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Dennis D

Dennis D
    Expand Collapse

I'm not totally sure about the full hookups, but a state park on the gulf side is Oscar Scherer in Osprey, Fl. I have not camped there, but have ridden my bike through the park several times and it's a park that I would consider. The sites are private, the RR seem to be in good order, and access with a larger rig is good. Nokomis beach is approx 15 mins to the south and west, and Siesta Key is probably 30 mins to the north and west. We use Nokomis beach because it's closer and less crowded. Check it out and see if it fits your desires. Good luck.

#7 Dennis D, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Paythebill likes this.
  8. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey there down there south of the equator - - - Your planned trip has all the makings of a really fun time for The5goodwins but for one thing. First of all you need to fly into Sacramento, rent an RV at Camping World, drive up to Auburn and stay at a really nice RV park right off Interstate 80. Then grab your cellphone and give old BankShot a call and then he will meet you there in his RV. We will all go to dinner, my treat, and then kick back for a minimum of three days and enjoy some really great BSing along with a few dozen or more pints of assorted, great handcrafted local beers.Then when we are finished you can simply drive off east into the sunrise and go on with your trip to Disney World. Now doesn't that sound mo betta than just going straight to DW and missing out on shaking hands with me and my Sigoth (that means significant other).............:D Think about that for an Aussie second before you answer...............:rolleyes:

Terry............(aka BankShot)

#9 BankShot, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Paythebill and The5goodwins like this.
  10. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Now THAT sounds like a far better plan right there Terry @BankShot love it....
    Funny you mention it I haven’t posted option 2 the California to Vancouver option including what I love to call the Bankshot option

Paythebill likes this.
  11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well Mr. Goodwin; Either option sounds very nice. I lived in the Vancouver / Victoria area for over ten years and we just finished visiting Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and the western part of Tennessee for the last 5 months. If you have any questions or are looking for suggestions on what to see and do I would be more than happy to share my two cents (as will many others that visit Campground Reviews).

Darrell

BankShot, Paythebill and The5goodwins like this.
  12. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

very very much looking for input Darrell as we put the trip together....cheers

Paythebill likes this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

By the way Jason, as Darrell......aka Rollin Ollens I believe knows, I was born and raised in Vancouver, BC and can give you some pointers as to where to visit if indeed you do end up there instead of Florida. Great city with lots to do and see. Kinda reminds me a tad of Sydney as it is a harbor city with gorgeous views and surroundings, etc. And I believe they even speak English there too............:D

Regards, Terry the Yank...........(aka BankShot)

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  14. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That is a heck of a trip to complete in three weeks especially in March/April. Just an FYI the Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise areas are still suffering from freezing and below temps. Very few Campgrounds/RV Parks are open this time of year nor can you get to many of the best attractions 'cause access roads have not been plowed yet. If your plan is for early spring I would suggest you stick closer to the Coast....except for the side trip to see Ol' Bankshot. I side trip across to Reno and back just to do the Donner Pass will be worth it.

Darrell

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

What Darrell said is correct and makes good sense. Taking the route you outlined during March and April from Reno north will no doubt have you going thru snow and possible road closings and/or long delays, etc. Best to stick to taking I-5 north out of the Sacramento area. You can take it up into Oregon, then cut over to Hwy 101 using any of several highways that are really scenic and easy to drive, then continue north from there. The Oregon and Washington coasts are beautiful all the way with many neat coastal towns to explore and stay at. Some areas have some twists and turns but we've traveled that way a few times in our motorhome and have had no problems whatsoever. Some really nice RV parks and campgrounds to stay at also if you are in an RV. Whatever you decide those of us that know that route and areas ivolved will be there to answer your questions or give you some additional choices as needed. Now then about that Disney World adventure, I've never been there so can't be of much help. But surely there will be a few including Mike (mdcamping) who will be more than happy to be a co-pilot for you. Right Mike..........:D

All the best mate, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  17. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

That’s why I come here it’s the great advice and mateship. Thanks Darrell and Terry sage advice I’ve ruled that one out for sure got another one that we are thinking about that includes Texas and Florida but we STILL get to visit Terry @BankShot

18. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

I’ll post the route idea tomorrow for your input guys. My wife and I have decided after what we have all been through that the trip is on and we really want to take the opportunity to catch up with the mates I’ve made here So boys I’m giving you till March/April 2022 to let us know where you are thinking of being for a catch up

Paythebill likes this.
  19. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, now you be confusing us Mr. Goodwin. In your first post heading you told us March/April of 2021. And now in your above post you say you are giving us till March/April 2022? Which be it our Aussie RV friend. Some of us are older and confuse easily so please don't make a habit of this as it really messes with our grey matter............:eek: A little re-confirmation of the year would be greatly appreciated if you will. I'd hate to be waiting next year to shake your hand and then be told I was there a year early................:D Will await your "correction" to this very important matter....:rolleyes:

INDEED, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Carl2369 and Paythebill like this.
  20. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Could it be when it’s 2022 in the land down under, it’s 2021 in the USA?:rolleyes:

Rollin Ollens and BankShot like this.