Leveling Jacks

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Happy Camper 19, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Happy Camper 19

Happy Camper 19
    Expand Collapse

Any thoughts on storing motorhome with leveling jacks down, good or bad ?

Paythebill likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This is a good question and one I really am unable to give advice on however in my way of thinking I do know that there is a huge amount of pressure applied if you are equipped with hydraulic jacks and slideouts and with that thinking I would have to venture a guess that leaving the jacks in the down position when storing the RV, for extended periods of time, could cause hydraulic leaks in either the lines themselves or in the areas where connectors are used. Again this is just my uneducated guess on this. We never leave our coach with the jacks down when not being used. Only time they come down is when we are parked and using it. Having them down for a week or more at time is not going to cause any problems unless of course a line is old and separates or a connection comes loose, which has happened to us twice over the years. Best bet would be to check with an RV repair shop who does work on hydraulic jacks and ask them. You can bet someone will also respond to this post who knows more about this and give you some sage advice on this subject. Again, great question and one that I have personally never given any real thought to............

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

Happy Camper 19 likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

My motorhome has assured me it doesn't know the difference between a campsite and storage, so our jacks are always down. ;)

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I might have known that you'd have the answer Dutch. Good one too...........:p

Moving on down the road, Terry...........(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. puddleduck

puddleduck
    Expand Collapse

If you have air suspension having the jacks down takes stress away from the air bags.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. hammerlocke

hammerlocke
    Expand Collapse

I have yet to try one so thanks for the insights.

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

My book of words suggests that they be raised and lowered at least every two weeks. The rams need a spray of lub every now and again to keep them from growing rust pits. If your unit is being stored for extended lengths of time make sure you run your gen set as required by the manufacturer. Having the fuel tank full will keep moisture our if the system and run your engine until it reaches operating temp at least twice a month. That keeps the engine oil free of moisture as well.

Darrell

Paythebill, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Your book of words is a good one Darrell. I go by the same book each winter when we go thru our down time. I also run "Stabil" in the gas tank and make sure it gets cycled thru both the engine and the generator so as to prevent the gas from souring. Hope you and Jerry are gettting thru your winter up there in Alberta (that is where you are currently is it not?) and that all is well for you. Good hearing from you on the forum, it's been a while.............

All the best, Terry..................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hey Terry; We are getting through the winter but not in Alberta. We are in New Orleans right now and we expect to spend some time in Gulfport, Biloxi and maybe into Alabama before we head north for the summer again. We crossed into the warm on October 20th and slowly headed south. So far, not like last year, we have not encountered any cold. We had a couple of cooler days in Memphis but so far so good.

It has been a while since I have stopped to visit Campground Reviews. I have run into some "turbulence" uploading images and fitting into some of the constraints this site imposes so I am leaving this site behind. I have found two other venues that are far more conducive to fitting my needs as opposed to me fitting CCRs needs. I will still stop by from time to time to make sure all you folks are behaving yourselves though. I posted my good bye yesterday under the thread "With all due respects" Perhaps the moderators have hidden it. I'm not sure.

Take care you all!!!

Darrell

#9 Rollin Ollens, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Paythebill likes this.
  10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Nothing's been "hidden" Darrell, as far as I can see. I do suggest that you stop by after the 16th to see if the new review site format is more to your liking...

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Amen to what Dutch said above. Give the site another chance as we sure don't want to lose one of good guys here. You contribute a lot to both the review side as well as on this forum so give it some more thought before you just bow out and go elsewhere. Besides, the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but many times that's because there's a lot more manure over there.....:D

All the best to you whatever you decide, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  12. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Good one BankShot.... So very true...:)