Generator is too loud

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by solo_rider, Sep 12, 2019.

1. solo_rider

solo_rider
    Expand Collapse

I don't want to really complain about the noise, but I would like to quiet the generator down. This is for consideration mostly (as we have a pretty old generator and maybe it would be better just to replace it).
    After a short research, I noticed that some suggest changing the muffler. So here are some questions about it:

1: What type of muffler to use and where to get it from?
    2: How was it fastened back onto the generator?
    3: How much quieter did it make the generator (with replacing the muffler alone)?
    4: Aside from the muffler, what is the main source of noise from on the generator?
    5: What is the skill level (and which skills) the user will have to have to complete this task?

Answers needed to help me get a little more understanding on the process and also what others have already done. Since, well, I should have shopped around and bought a quiet one in the first place. Still I would like to - if it's possible - to reduce the noise.
    If that's not possible (or way too complicated), then opinions needed on quieter models, gladly there are plenty of options. Our current gen is Champion C46540 (3500 Watt).
    Also I was thinking about getting two Honda EU2200i units even, for better portability. So if it'd be more effective than any of mods, then I might go with this option.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This may sound a tad silly but if your generator is located in a bay, you might try putting some sound deadening material on the walls of the bay and the bay door to muffle the sound. I would think that some sound padding or board an inch or more thick would do the trick. Just a thought from an old audio guy who has used sound absorbing/deadening material in his home audio room.........

BahkShot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. GOTTOYS

GOTTOYS
    Expand Collapse

A different muffler won't do much if anything. There's a lot of mechanical noise from the open frame design. Replace it with an inverter type. You save fuel and it will be much quieter.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. jfak7670

jfak7670
    Expand Collapse

If I were you I would just replace it. Westinghouse WH2200iXLT is the best generator for camping to me. ( https://bestgenset.org/best-generator-for-camping/) . It is easy to use, easy to carry about and pretty quiet (ideal to use at night). Moreover you can connect two generators to double the power and run-time. This feature makes it quite a flexible gen. It can power many devices simultaneously as well.

LianneTrine likes this.
  5. Daniel-J

Daniel-J
    Expand Collapse

Sounds logical to replace it with a quieter model.

6. IRAHELM

IRAHELM
    Expand Collapse

Honda EU2200I are on recall and are not being sold.

7. kate_wanderer

kate_wanderer
    Expand Collapse

^ this
    I would take a look at the Yamaha EF2200iS (Noise Level: 57 dB @ 25% load according to sellers) - quality will be as good for sure. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do with a loud generator. I had one at home, and it was such a pain when I had to use it at nighttime even though it was placed in the basement. I've built a silencing box for it and it really reduced the noise a bit, but nothing changed significantly. It's still loud.

8. cmapgirl

cmapgirl
    Expand Collapse

A muffler won't do much I suspect. You probably have to get a new generator that's designed to be silent. Like one with a closed frame.

9. Richard3

Richard3
    Expand Collapse

Generators, especially those that run at higher RPMs, tend to be very noisy. Generac Power Systems recommends having a generator with an idle control option. This technology reduces engine speed when loads are not being applied, which in turn decreases sound levels and conserves fuel.