It just seems like lots of reviews are missing

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by nebster, Feb 2, 2020.

1. nebster

nebster
    Expand Collapse

If I click on a state, the site shows me 10 or so parks in a list. The sort box defaults to "Most recently reviewed." But, it's clearly the case that these first parks can't be the most recently reviewed.

Take Arkansas, for example. 322 campgrounds. The first park in the list is Crabtree. If I click on Crabtree, the top review is from a stay in June 2015. Now, the new site has removed the display of when each review was posted... but I think it's unlikely that that person just wrote a review this year for a stay half a decade ago.

Likewise, if I sort the list of campgrounds by "Most Reviewed", Tom Sawyer's pops the top with 620 reviews. But, when I go to that campground page, the first five listed are all for stays back in November or October. Okay, sure, it's possible that is both by far the most popular park in Arkansas AND that nobody has stayed in it since Thanksgiving and bothered to write a review. But if I start clicking down through the other campgrounds that have lots of reviews, by and large there are no reviews after October or November!

I tried another way: I found the profile of a user (texasAUtiger) who just posted in this forum about having trouble getting one of his reviews to submit. On his profile page, I can see a nice list of all of his recent reviews, from most recent to oldest. (Interestingly, on this page, it also shows the date he posted the reviews, unlike on the campground pages.) It shows his most recent review was of Delta Ridge RV Park.

But, if I go to that campground page, guess what? There is no review from him in the "recent reviews" sort. I mean, I didn't keep clicking all the way back many years of course. But it's just not there.

I think somehow a bunch of the data is getting mangled. I'm sure it's in your database somewhere. It would be nice if someone would take a look and figure out what's going on?

Many thanks for a great site over the years.

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I have to say that of all the complaint reviews I've read to date, this one by nebster is one of the most thorough and detailed and, was written in a way as to not be derogatory or totally negative, etc. He has gone into detail about the areas he feels can be improved upon for the benefit of all members. Wish others could "complain" like this and not just get angry and tear the website to pieces as some do. Great post nebster. Welcome aboard the forum, hope to read more posts from you down the road. The admins and those responsible for handling changes and glitches, etc. will no doubt take your post on a positive note and look into resolving your issues....:D

Safe and Happy Travels, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

nebster and mdcamping like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I'm going to guess that the drop down tab that is defalted to recent reviews is not mapped correctly or maybe it should be removed?, if you look down farther on the Arkansas home page it shows 5 "Recent Arkansas Reviews" those reviews all look current as the top one is from 1-20.

They just expanded the "recent reviews" on the CR home pages, I do hope they do the same with the state & provinces home pages also. :)

Mike

4. nebster

nebster
    Expand Collapse

You might be right, but I suspect that it is deeper than just a broken sort filter.

If you look at those 5 recent AR reviews, indeed that list seems like it must be accurate, given the number of parks in Arkansas and that it's a slower time of year for camping and thus reviews. But, note that #4 on that list is texasUAtiger. Click on him, and in his profile you can see that his Lower White RV Park review (the #4 most recent one in Arkansas) is actually his fifth most recent review. If you check any of his more recent ones in the list, by going to those campground pages, I believe you'll see that his four newer reviews are not actually showing on those pages.

You can see this phenomenon with some of the other user profiles on that AR latest-5-reviews list, too.

The review and campground data is being cached in Cloudfare's CDN. At a minimum, somehow the content is not being republished there, sometimes, for some parks.

Based on how stale the reviews are on so many popular campgrounds I clicked through, I think there is a problem.

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Great work, nebster. Another admin has already informed our programmers about this problem.

And mdcamping, I will let the programmers know about expanding the recent reviews on the state and provinces home pages.

mdcamping likes this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yes I think I understand the general issue as texasAUtiger has 4 newer reviews that is not showing up on the most recient reviews. I'm not a IT guy but thats a good find, let hope the programmers can resolve the problem.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  7. nebster

nebster
    Expand Collapse

Great, thank you for looking at this so quickly.

If it were possible to restore the review posting date somewhere in the individual reviews as well, that would be a nice-to-have.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

You are correct with respect to this and I've reported the issue to the programming team. Thanks for making us aware of the problem.

I have verified this, also,and have reported it.

Note: This post was written several hours ago and should have been posted at that time. User error at my end resulted in it being posted so late.

Paythebill likes this.