Campground Closing due to COVID 19

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Renagade007, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Violett

Violett
    Expand Collapse

For security reasons, it is better to be isolated from each other for the time being. It's summer. I'm so anxious that it's over.

2. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

It's impossible to get rid of it. The point of the distancing is to do what is called "flattening the curve". What that means is that instead of millions of people being sick at one time, creating a real disaster, only thousands will be sick at one time and the world can keep operating in most capacities. The people who have recovered can go back to work to replace the people who are newly sick. That means we still have health care providers and essential services even though eventually nearly everyone will have caught the virus but not all in the same time frame. Of course this is assuming that this virus works the way most do, meaning that people are immune after the first bout with it, and assuming that any mutation of the virus doesn't make it more dangerous or prevent any new vaccine or treatment from working. Once a half of the population is assumed to be immune, the social distancing can be lifted without any more danger on a socioeconomic level than we have right now.

#22 treesprite, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Well said treesprite. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that are still going on about their lives as tho this is not anything to be concerned about and that it will simply run its' course and be gone. And then there is the other end of the spectrum that is in full blown panic mode and when they do go out in public for groceries or other essential needs they scare the crap out others with the "costumes" they are wearing. I've seen a few that look like they have just come out of a highly contagious isolation chamber and are covered from head to toe with total smocks or suits of special material and full breather masks on, etc. Actually saw one of those at the PO the other day and she even scared me.........:eek: Be safe, cautious, and just follow common sense as this thing progresses before it starts to back off................

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We went to Walmart's "senior citizen shopping hour" this morning at 6am. We had rubber gloves on; a few people had masks. When we got home my wife washed all the fruits and veggies.

When we've received Amazon packages I've been handling the outer boxes with gloves and then removing the inner package. The outer box or envelope gets thrown away without it entering the house and then we've been wiping the inner package with antiseptic wipes. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Paythebill, Onemoretrail and BankShot like this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

What happened Joel? Did you post a "duplicate" for those of us who like read in stereo vision....:p Sorry, just had to add a bit of humor in these trying times we are all going thru..........

Stay safe and healthy, Terry...........(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Guess I might have to have my bifocals adjusted! :cool:

My internet connection has become really slow during the current crisis. Like many other full-timers my only internet connections are all cellular in nature and I hear that cell systems all over the country are being pulled down by everyone being at home.

I probably pressed the submit button more than once before the system reacted to my entry.

#26 docj, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Paythebill likes this.
  7. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

The sanitizing and washing is a good thing, because the virus stays on surfaces for hours to days, depending on what material the surface is (sorry, I can't remember details except that plastic seems to be one of the longest).

Every door handle, faucet knob, hand railing, shopping cart, gas pump, and other public surface is a possible source of infection. Washing/sanitizing combined with not breathing other people's air are the best ways to prevent yourself from catching germs.

My biggest concern at a campground would be having a need to use facilities other than what I have of my own. I don't have a real RV, but have used a portable toilet in a tent and in the car. I also keep water handy. Campgrounds could just accept only guests who have their own facilities, and maybe give a discount for the inconvenience of having no public amenities or activities.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We are camp hosts in the Bow Valley of Alberta Canada. Alberta Parks (who we host for) have just announced that no parks will open until May 01 subject to further review. And this is fine except, because we full time, we have no where else to go until they do open. They will not let us occupy until the park opens to the public. This is an odd policy because in years past, we occupied two to three weeks early just the get the park ready for the public. There was no one there but us. The best way to keep ones distance. Governments bureaucracy at it normalcy. Shaking my head.........

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  9. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Do you already know of an alternative place to go? I hope it won't mess up your finances.

10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

There are private campgrounds not too far away. I am spending my quarantine time at one right now and the operator is awesome. We have been isolated from others that do not need to be quarantined. There is no need for personal contact. Everything is handled via e-mail, texting or a phone call. Groceries can be delivered. Fast food is being delivered. I don't see any hiccups right now.

For me, it's not a financial concern. It's being able to have the time to prep sites and get things cleaned up before campers come in. A lot of times there are trees that need to be cut down (or bucked up if they have already fallen) and just general cleanup. Some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk who probably has never been a camper isn't just thinking.

Darrell

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hang in there Darrell and all will turn out well for you. Your self contained motorhome is a good safe place to hunker down for this next two weeks ahead and as you stated you are able to communicate with the outside world as well as have your food and other things delivered. No doubt a nice scrumptious pizza will be at your door for lunch or dinner soon and with three bays full of good beer just kick back and watch the world go by outside. Keep the posts coming and the responses will for sure be overloading your inbox................:D

All the best to you, Jerry and "le poopie doggie"...........Terry...........(aka BankShot)

PS: If memory serves me you do have a dog and not a "fussy feline"............correct....:confused:

Paythebill, NYDutch and treesprite like this.
  12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

From the Virginia State Park web site:
    "Virginia State Parks are open for day-use activities."
    "Effective Friday March 27 overnight facilities and restrooms will be closed through April 30. The closure includes all cabins, campgrounds, camping cabins and yurts, as well as restrooms and bathhouses."

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/covid-19-update

Paythebill likes this.
  13. Renagade007

Renagade007
    Expand Collapse

I updated the list. You can also find it on military CG site. I know some are not members there so I am doing this to help get the word out. Please stay safe.

Here's the locations that I've heard about: (arranged by state)

Maxwell/Gunter AFB FamCamp, Montgomery, AL
    Redstone Arsenal MWR RV Park, Huntsville, AL
    Lake Martin Recreation Area, Dadeville, AL
    Little Rock AFB FamCamp, Little Rock, AR
    Apache Flats RV Resort, Fort Huachuca, Sierra Vista, AZ - no new campers after March 31st
    Davis-Monthan AFB FamCamp, Tucson, AZ
    Desert Breeze RV Park, Yuma Proving Grounds, AZ
    Pine View RV Park, Camp Navajo, Bellemont, AZ
    Admiral Baker RV Park, San Diego Naval Station, CA
    China Lake NAWS, Ridgecrest, CA - is canceling reservations.
    March ARB, Riverside, CA - closed to new campers
    Seal Beach RV Park, Seal Beach NWS, CA
    Palm Oasis RV Park, El Centro NAF, CA
    Point Mugu Recreation Area, CA - closed until May 23
    Travis AFB FamCamp, CA - no new campers allowed until the end of March
    Vandenburg AFB FamCamp, Lompoc, CA
    Peregrine Pines FamCamp, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, CO - no new campers allowed.
    Williams FamCamp, Buckley AFB, Denver, CO
    Dover AFB FamCamp, DE
    Blue Angel Recreation Area, Pensacola, FL - not accepting new reservations
    Camp Robbins, Eglin AFB, FL - no new campers until May 11th
    Destin Army Infantry Center Recreation Area, Destin, FL
    Shields RV Park, Gulfport Naval Construction Battalion Center, Gulfport, MS - new new campers allowed.
    Manatee Cove, Patrick AFB, Cocoa Beach, FL
    Postl Point, Eglin AFB, FL - no new campers until May 11th
    Racoon Creek Recreation Area, MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL
    Marathon Cottages and Park, Marathon, FL - reservations on hold until May 11th
    Mid-Bay Shores Niceville, FL - No new campers until April 5
    NASKW RV Park, NAS Key West, FL
    Oak Grove Park and Cottages Pensacola, FL
    Pelican Roost, Mayport Naval Station, FL
    Osprey Cove, Mayport Naval Station, FL
    Eagle Hammock RV Park, Kings Bay, GA - reservations before May 11th are cancelled
    Navy Lake SIte Allatoona, GA - reservations before May 11th are cancelled
    Gowen Field, Boise, ID
    Alligator Lake Recreation Area, Fort Polk, LA
    Aviation Arbor RV Park, Belle Chase, LA
    Barksdale AFB FamCamp, Boosier City, LA
    Toledo Bend Recreation Site, Fort Polk, LA
    Hanscom AFB FamCamp, MA - no new campers until May 1st
    Aberdeen Marylander RV Park, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
    Aberdeen Shore Park Travel Camp, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
    Camp Meade RV PArk, Fort George G. Meade, Laurel, MD
    Joint Base Andrews FamCamp, MD
    Elizabeth City Lodging, Elizabeth City, NC - closed until (at least) April 19
    Fort Fisher Recreation Area, Kure Beach, NC
    Pelican Point RV Park, Cherry Point MCAS, NC
    Holloman AFB FamCamp, Alamogordo, NM
    Kirtland AFB FamCamp, Albuquerque, NM
    Desert Eagle FamCamp, Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, NV
    Wright-Patterson AFB Bass Lake FamCamp, Dayton, OH
    Murphy Meadows, McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, Savanna, OK
    Joint Base Charleston RV Park, Charleston, SC - until May 17th
    Foster Creek RV Park, Joint Base Charleston RV Park, Charleston, SC - until May 17th
    Parris Island RV Park, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC
    Short Stay, Joint Base Charleston, SC
    Wateree Recreation Area, Sumter, SC
    Arnold AFB, Tullahoma, TN - not taking new reservations
    Midway RV Park, Mid-South Naval Support Activity, Millington, TN
    Corpus Christi RV Park, Corpus Christi NAS, TX - not taking new reservations
    Goodfellow AFB FamCamp, San Angelo, TX
    Lackland AFB FamCamp, San Antonio, TX
    Laughlin AFB FamCamp, Del Rio, TX
    Lake Amistad Recreation Area, Del Rio, TX
    JBSA - Fort Sam Houston RV Park, San Antonio, TX
    Hill AFB FamCamp, Ogden, UT
    Fort Belvoir Travel Camp, Newington, VA
    Sea Mist RV Campground, Dam Neck, VA - closed to new reservations until May 11th
    Fort Eustis Recreation Area, Newport News, VA
    Champs Camp, Fort AP Hill, VA
    Bethel Recreation Area, Langley AFB, Hampton, VA
    Sea Mist RV Campground, Dam Neck Annex, Oceana NAS, Virginia Beach, VA
    Camp Murray Travel Camp, Tillicum, WA - currently closing until mid-April
    Joint Base Lewis-McChord Travel Camp, Tillicum, WA - closed until mid-April (may change)
    Pine View Recreation Area, Ft McCoy, WI - until April 30

Paythebill likes this.
  14. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

In the next few days you'll begin to see closure information displayed on park pages here at Campground Reviews. Example: here https://www.campgroundreviews.com/r...v-and-mh-park-formerly-pecan-point-rv-park-20

We're contacting park owners directly via e-mail and phone to seek accurate closure information. In the next few days CGR members will also be able to contribute to the project and will have a new tools available to click to update a parks closure status if they have direct, personal knowledge about this.

For folks searching for parks we have a new filter available to make finding open parks easier. it will take a few days but we anticipate have a robust and accurate list of up to date information available.

Thanks for continuing to offer updates as you have them (and wash your hands).

15. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the hard work!

16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ditto that thanks. Just found out that Winchester Bay RV Resort in Winchester Bay, Oregon has closed until further notice................

BankShot...................(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  17. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Janet, may I make a suggestion that at some point,t box be changed to a more general "temporary closure alert" or something similar. Through the year, parks close due to many emergency situations (forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.), And obviously, this info is very helpful.

Thanks,
    Chris g.

JhMason and NYDutch like this.
  18. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion. The covid related closure status displays now on a little banner at the top of the park page and is unrelated to the usually scheduled closure info or hours.

green = open, yellow = we don't have any info and redi-sh = closed.
    We have e-mail park owners directly for this information and many are logging in to update their park info. In a few more days we'll call them (if they haven't updated).

covid label.jpg

Paythebill likes this.
  19. Renagade007

Renagade007
    Expand Collapse

Most of the CG in Maine do not open until April 15th. As of now that may get extended due to Gov Mills issuing a stay at home order as of yesterday. Not sure how this will effect CG. If you know of any open CG in Maine please call them before you arrive.

20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Alberta Parks will now allow Provincial Campgrounds to open June 01 subject to:

50% capacity (half of the sites will be roped off).
    Provincial residents only. (Alien visors need to go to Roswell I guess).

I am expecting Some amenities may not be available (inc Lavatories) so you must be self contained. Only one sleeping unit per site (normally two would be allowed) and probably only immediate family members. No visiting guests (in the past some folks would invite friends, neighbors, enemies, who ever, out for a BBQ and try to fit 4 or five extra vehicles onto their site). People behaving themselves. Keeping their distance.

I'm not sure what else they may have up their sleeve but changes and modifications can be expected.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/news-events/response-to-covid-19/

Darrell