What Happened to Campground Reviews?

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Aljones, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Aljones

Aljones
    Expand Collapse

We only started using this app back in October and it word so good. It was easy to move around on the maps the check out reviews of camp sites that were in the areas that we were interested in going. It now seems that the app has been re-worked or updated. We now find this app slow and hard to use and we are currently looking for another app to aid us in searching for RV camp sites. I wish this app was as good as it used to be just a few months ago.

2. wapa1

wapa1
    Expand Collapse

from your lips to god's ears.

Rjjjbrown likes this.
  3. Dinghy

Dinghy
    Expand Collapse

This new format sucks. All it is is a bunch of garbage no one wants to have to go through to find what they are looking for. The original was great - the new format is terrible. Adios

Rjjjbrown, Danteb and Dick OKelly like this.
  4. SillyAnn

SillyAnn
    Expand Collapse

I agree. I absolutely hate this new format. (Thought it was just me). I am checking out Campendium for reviews now. RV Parky has a fair amount as well. Even posting a review is slow as molasses.

Rjjjbrown likes this.
  5. StuartT

StuartT
    Expand Collapse

This new site format, which is undoubtedly reworked to accommodate smartphones, absolutely sucks now for pc users who made this site the success it is today. It is spread out using huge font, difficult to mentally navigate, and the map is basically worthless. This site was once the go-to entity for getting factual reviews on campgrounds from real users, but now it is a visual eyesore. Maybe the huge font was your insidious attempt to placate your older base.
    Social Knowledge, LLC, owner of campgroundreviews.com, if you don't fix this, you will be waving goodbye to a lot of former users, including me.

Dick OKelly likes this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I use google chrome, windows 10, as you I mostly use my pc for this site when it comes to locating/choosing RV Parks. When the new site came unline a few months ago, yeah there was some issues, most are ironed out. As far as navigating the maps or using the searchs, I don't have any issues.

As far us using tablets, smart phones and countless other devices, which way do you think the demographics are heading? I'm not a IT guy but that would be my guess for one of the reasons this site was updated.

Mike

NYDutch, NoVa RT, treesprite and 2 others like this.
  7. Renagade007

Renagade007
    Expand Collapse

I use Microsoft edge and it has issues on the map

8. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse

Old format was LOTS better! Hard to work with new web based too! Took a great product and made it average.

Rjjjbrown likes this.
  9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry you feel that way. We think the new system is a much better tool that before, but we understand that our new format takes some getting used to. All the previous information from the old website is still there, so it really is just a matter of learning how to use the new functions. Whenever you have trouble locating something, please contact our Help Desk by clicking on the Contact Us link found at the bottom of each page, and we will be glad to help you find what you are looking for.

10. Ketelmeister

Ketelmeister
    Expand Collapse

You can no longer just click on a state and town and have the reviews come up. Way less user friendly. If the feelings are the old was better, why not go back to it with some upgrades? Isn't the goal to meet the users needs?

Rjjjbrown likes this.
  11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that we think the old website was better than this new one. I guess that happened because my fingers stuttered and typed "the new system is a much better tool that before", which should have read, "the new system is a much better tool than before"

That said, the new system locates reviews for a state and town in the same manner as before. For example, using the old system you would choose the state by clicking on the name of a state or its image on the US map. The system would display a list of the cities in that state. You would choose the city by scrolling down the list until you found a specific city and then click on it. The system would display a list of RV parks in that city. You would choose the RV park by scrolling down the list of parks until you found the one you wanted to look at and click on it. The system would display reviews for that park along with the hookups, services and amenities available. You would read the reviews by scrolling down to display each one.

Here is how you can do exactly the same and just as easily on the new system:

CHOOSE THE STATE
    On the HOME page click on the name of a state or its image on the US map.

The system will display the STATE page which contains a list of the RV parks in this state including a map with pins showing their locations

CHOOSE THE CITY
    At the top of the page (now below the Covid-19 banner) there is a section titled "Popular Cities for RV Camping in Texas." Click on "View More Cities."

The system will display a list of all cities in the state. Scroll down the list until you find the specific city you are looking for and click on it.

CHOOSE THE RV PARK
    The system will display a list of RV parks in that city including a map with pins showing their locations. Scroll down the list of parks until you find the one you want to look at and click on it.

READ THE REVIEWS
    The system will display reviews for that park along with the hookups, services. and amenities available.

Scroll down to read the individual reviews.

I hope you will notice that the park listings on the new system contain a lot more information than before. In addition to the list of amenities and reviews, there are now sections that contain photos, an individual map showing the park's location, tips, and questions and answers. Any of this information can be found by scrolling down the page, but there is a much easier way to reach it. Notice that near the top of the Park page (just under the star rating) there are some links titled Overview, Amenities, Tips, Q&A, and Reviews. Clicking on one of these links will jump you to that section. You can still choose to scroll down the page to each of the sections, but employing the links will get you to the information you want much faster and avoid going through information that you are not interested in.

I hope you find this information helpful, and if you need more help, please let us know.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.
  12. Dick OKelly

Dick OKelly
    Expand Collapse

This was my go to site for years. We travel on average 5 months a year. Tried the new and improved. I think a NON rver did it. Started with Flagstaff AZ to try since we go there often. First thing is featured campgrounds. They are all miles away. I wanted Flagstaff. Then half of the campgrounds in Flag are not there.???????? Our favorite campground and the highest rated for Flag is not even listed. Checked website and they are still there and open. BYE BYE

Rjjjbrown likes this.
  13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thank you for your comments, and we are sorry you are not pleased with the new site.

First, yes, we do have a section of "featured" parks displayed at the top of the page. And, no they are not always near the city you have searched for. The reason they are necessary is because their funding enables us to offer the site free to users. While you may find this a bother, the information about Flagstaff is found just below the featured parks section and is not difficult to get to.

As for the parks listed in Flagstaff, I did a search for the city and got a listing of 25 parks near there. The word "near" is important because in most any town, there are always parks just a few miles outside the city limits or in nearby towns that RVers might be interested in, and therefore, we feel it is valuable to include them in a city search. Otherwise, these parks might be missed as possible places to stay. In the case of Flagstaff, 15 parks show a Flagstaff address, and the farthest "near" park is 21.7 miles away, an easily drivable distance to get to Flagstaff.

As for the parks that you say are missing in Flagstaff, including your favorite one and the highest rated, if you will tell me the names of those parks, I will be glad to see why they are not showing up in the list.

As I have said several other times in the forum, our new site takes some getting used to, but I will be glad to explain how to use the format and help you locate what you are looking for.

14. Rjjjbrown

Rjjjbrown
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely hate this new format. I used the old site for 6-7 years and LOVED it. The old site was so user friendly and I never had an issue searching for parks, but with this one I can’t find anything like before. The ads overtake the page, I can’t enter a general area (I don’t always know the city - just a general vicinity), the reviews and info is not nearly as easy to find and I’ve been stuck in a virtual loop more than I can count. I’m REALLY disappointed that a site I’ve relied on, and constantly recommended has turned into something unusable.

wapa1 likes this.
  15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I will reply with some things I said in my last post in this thread: Thank you for your comments, and we are sorry you are not pleased with the new site. As I have said several other times in the forum that our site has a new look and takes some getting used to, but it works just the same as it used to except that we have added new features which provide far more information than the old site did.

You might read my previous post in this thread dated May 4, 2020. It addresses some of the concerns you have voiced, and perhaps it will help you understand the new site a little better. But if not, I will be glad to help you locate what you are looking for. Just give me an example of something you had trouble finding.

TravelingWorkerBees likes this.