Campground Reviews Gets a Spiffy New Look!

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks. Our programmers and technical staff have been working really hard to fix things that were not up to par, and we know that not everything is exactly as our members would like it to be --yet. So stay tuned for more improvements.

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

So, just wondering, why do we see this message on every single review for a campground?

" Details Matter. Designed by RVers for RVers. We have more data specifically relevant to RVing."

We are already at this site, why so much self promotion?

3. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Not really disagreeing with you but here's the rationale...The majority of folks who use the site are not logged in AND not regular users. They are doing simple research for an upcoming trip. We would like to hammer home the idea that this is a great resource and that the reviews are real.

Paythebill, mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  4. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

It would be a better resource if more people communicated on the message forums! I keep checking a few times a day, and mostly am disappointed to find nothing.

mdcamping likes this.
  5. davidm99

davidm99
    Expand Collapse

Love the newsletter just not so many. Receiving 1 email with newsletter is fine not every half hour . You definitely have a malfunction and its sending the newsletter e mail around ever half hour or so. Received 13 now so far today. Please make repair.

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We are aware of the problem and a fix is being developed.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Hitch2go

Hitch2go
    Expand Collapse

I think that you folks (the owners & admins) have done a wonderful job! Especially, noting who’s open during the shelter-in-orders. We haven’t traveled lately, but hope to go where we can reasonably social distance. I’ve really enjoyed getting the newsletters. Thanks!

BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  8. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Just reading over a couple of pages of posts to re-acquaint me with the thread I noticed a post from Jerry S on Feb. 05, 2020, regarding negative reviews on a particular CG visited. I agree 100% with Jerry isn't that the whole purpose of "Campground Reviews"? Support, refer, and visit places that are providing the amenities and services sought, and, help those that fall short but perhaps by being informed what the RV'ing community is saying gives them a chance to improve.

Nationwide Yelp has become a very popular fast search and review of restaurants, businesses, and more. However, I have found it to be totally useless after I posted a negative review on a car dealership I visited to purchase a brand new SUV. When I went to pick up my brand new car, the dealer switched out my AWD model for the less expensive FWD thinking the excitement of the new car would make me compromise and just take the FWD model. Yelp removed my story of what to watch out for at that dealer after a day and a half! All that was left were the glowing, probably fake reviews.

I hope Campground Reviews does not become Yelp.

9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We publish negative reviews so long as they meet our usual review guidelines. Customer disputes are really tricky however. People sometimes use untruthful negative reviews to damage a parks credibility when they have had a run in with the parks management. We aren't in a position to verify or settle the disputes and so typically negative reviews need to focus on poor facilities rather than a "he said/she said "dispute.
    Where there is a dispute about a payment or something similar we recommend folks use the BBB or similar venue to settle those disputes.

NYDutch likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think what Jerry was refering to was not being able to mark a Campground Reviews members review "not helpful"

Mike

11. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Great site and I use it often, but, and yes, there's always a but. Your search engine needs some work. The problem I have is predominantly with COE parks and their names If I don't enter the name exactly right your search engine cannot find it. Example: ABC COE Park could be listed as that, or it could be listed as ABC Campground, And it will not be found. It could also be ABC Recreation Area, or park or even just ABC. The exact name of a location is often different on various websites you visit.
    Thank you

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I just checked and the system found 64 parks when I searched for "COE park" If you know of one that doesn't come up in that search let us know and we'll correct it.

13. Mike H.

Mike H.
    Expand Collapse

We use this website for every trip and reservation we make. When the new format was rolled out I decided to give adequate time for the startup bugs and glitches to be corrected. Now that some time has passed I can only say that the new format is bordering on useless. Too difficult to search, too difficult to pinpoint parks etc. etc. what was an extremely useful website is now clumsy and crude. I realize that there will be no going back but just wanted to get my two cents worth in, I miss the old format to the point that if I could find any reasonable alternative I would use it instead

LarryB and Dennis D like this.
  14. LarryB

LarryB
    Expand Collapse

Mike H. I agree with you totally.. I seem to spend more time removing pop up ads than researching information I'm looking for. Old format seemed much more user friendly to me.

weighit likes this.
  15. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Larry, where are you seeing pop-up ads? None of those should be showing at all. We do have one ad in the footer that's a "sticky ad" and is only shown to guests. So once you login it's gone.

Also, for others who responded to this thread over the past 7 months. Please note a LOT of fixes have been made. We have plenty more and will be sending out a survey to learn from everyone so we can keep improving.

16. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

To all the naysayers of this new version of Campground Reviews, give the site team a chance to work out all the bugs. This is still the only site that I will ever use. Play around with the new format, get use to how it performs before jumping on the “l hate this new site “ bandwagon

17. rncordy

rncordy
    Expand Collapse

What was the purpose in changing the search process? Were lots of us complaining about it? It was so straightforward, I would guess not.

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The new search function has had its problems, but the programmers have worked hard to fix the bugs. If you are having problems getting it to work for you, please contact our Help Desk by clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of the page, explain what you are having trouble with. They will help you navigate the new search function to find what you are looking for.

19. john612

john612
    Expand Collapse

I haven’t received emails from you lately, did I fall off your mailing list?
    My wife receives them so she must be ok.

Thanks,

John Noland

20. Tech Admin

Tech Admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I do show you on our mailing list John. Are you sure they are not being placed in a spam folder?