Sarasota to San Franciso, help needed in route planning

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Nancy Hitchcock, May 13, 2020.

1. Nancy Hitchcock

Nancy Hitchcock
    Expand Collapse

We are renting an Airstream Interstate for this cross country trip to see our kids during this Coronavirus time. We have been quarantined for months and so are they, so we feel if we can stay in a bubble, it would be safe to see them. In looking at the possible routes, we have I-10, I-20 and up to I-80. The area between San Antonio to Phoenix looks like it could be a challenge to find a nice enough campground. Has anyone done this trip? We are thinking 6-8 hours a day of driving, first stop near Mobile, Alabama. The rout will determine where we stay next. We are newbies, and would love your help and advice!
    Thank you,
    Nancy

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome aboard the forum. Being on the west coast and traveling basically in the western states I can only give recommendations on where you might stay from Tucson/Phoenix heading west.using I-80. Sounds like a great trip and just getting out on the open road after all that's been going on this past couple of months should be a very welcome experience for you. You might want to consider shortening your daily driving distances however as driving an RV is not like driving a car or small truck and you might be ready to tuck in for the night after just 5 to 6 hours on the road. That's your business but if you aren't experienced at RVing then at least consider not pushing it too hard. Everyone is different for sure but when we travel we like to leave early, no later than 9 am, and get to our stops by no later than 3 pm, sometimes even sooner. That gives you time to get hooked up, and get things ready for dinner, etc. and also a good night's rest before doing it al over again the next day. Whatever you end up doing have fun and enjoy the time you will be spending with your kids.............

Travel safe and be well..............Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

GaryM1948 and Onemoretrail like this.
  3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If you are travelling through Mobile, AL on your way to San Antonio and Phoenix, I would recommend taking I-10. I have driven this route a few times and while there are fewer campgrounds past San Antonio, it shouldn't be too hard to find acceptable ones.
    If you are only staying overnight at each location, then don't worry about the amenities like pools and playgrounds. Due to COVID-10 many of these amenities are closed anyways.
    Check out the campground listings in Campground Reviews. Take some time to research them. It will pay off in the end.
    As Bankshot recommended, start your drive each day early and get to your campground by 3 to 4pm. That way you shouldn't have any trouble getting a site. If by chance the campground recommends reservations, then make one. Nothing worse than getting to your destination to find the place is full.
    Good luck and safe travels.

BankShot likes this.
  4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have traveled many times on I-10 west from San Antonio, and I can assure you there are good RV parks along the way. It is just hard to know if they are open currently so be sure to call ahead and ask. Use our site to look up these towns along I-10 and you should be able to locate parks that will suit you: Kerrville, Junction, Ft Stockton, Van Horn, Las Cruses, Deming, Benson, Tucson, Casa Grande.

Sometimes from SA we go to Junction, TX and then head north up to Amarillo where we get on I-40 to the west. Using that route check out the parks in these towns: Lubbock, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Gallup, Flagstaff, Williams.

Another nice route is to stay on I-10 to Las Cruses and then take I-25 to to Albuquerque.

We have not traveled much on I-80, but frankly it seems way out of the way to get from Sarasota to San Francisco.

Finally, have you heard about RV Trip Wizard. It is our trip planning program. It is available for a fee, but it is an excellent tool for planning your route and then showing you all the parks that are on that route. If you are interested, you can see a demo of the program at https://www.rvtripwizard.com/.

Let us know if you need more help or have more questions. Hope you have a great trip.

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We did Houston to Tucson using I 10 last year. It's not all that bad. We ended up boon docking one night at a rest stop in Texas. A lot of campground in West Texas were full of Oil workers. If I were to do it again, I would make reservations at least 2 days ahead just to make sure I could get accommodations. If you have to, you can do an overnight at a rest stop or BLM. Your Interstate is fully self contained. As others have mentioned, pace yourself. It's best to make your destination in one piece and arrive somewhat rested. I use Google Earth and a trip planner. Both good tools.

Enjoy your trip. Stay safe.

Darrell