"Breaking The Silence On An Early Calm Morning"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Oct 17, 2020.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

So, there I be on a crisp morning out at the motorhome with my morning cup. Just checking a few things over to make sure all is well in the old home on wheels. Run the generator for a short while, check to see that the water pump still pumps water thru the lines and so on. And then as I was sitting at the wheel as the engine was warming up and circulating all the fluids and getting nicely lubricated, etc., and while wiping some dust off the dashboad, I brushed over the button that controls the air horn. I wasn't paying attention as I should have been and, by accident of course, managed to press on it just a wee tad too hard and WHALLA!!!, a nice loud blast blew thru the nearby trees and bushes and probably scared a few neighbors in the process. A gal across the way did open her front door and so I sheepishly waved at her thru the windshield but she didn't wave back as she probably didn't see me due the glare on it from the rising sun. Oh well, it were a nice loud blast of sound that got everyone up that should have been up by then but were still trying to catch those few extra minutes of sleep before hitting the deck. It's amazing how loud an air horn is on an early calm morning.................:D:p

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    treesprite, mdcamping and NYDutch like this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Yes, those air horns are nice for waking up inattentive drivers! Probably just as effective for waking up sleeping neighbors! :cool:

NYDutch likes this.
  3. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Waking up the neighbors? Sounds like one of those situation comedy TV series.:D

4. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

They're also pretty danged loud at 3AM when the neighbor's dog decides it needs to go out & that's how it get it's their owner's attn.....AND OURS!

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Was that you last week? my wife is a light sleeper, that combined with our hybrid tent ends she hears just about everything, she said it sounded like a air hour. ;) Terry I will not tell on you :p :D

Mike

BankShot likes this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I cannot tell a lie, yup that was probably me alright. I have my horns boosted to about 153 decibels so they are capable of being heard over long distances when the wind is right. And that morning the wind was blowing from west to east so I'm counting on you Mike not to tell your boss it were me. I already got a good butt chewing from mine over that little slip of the hand............

Hey, hope is well on your side of the country and that your travels ahead are great ones.............

All the best, Terry................(aka Hornblower)......oops:oops:, make that BankShot.....

mdcamping likes this.
  7. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

OOPS!!!

I have accidentally hit a horn in the middle of the night a couple of times over the years. I always feel bad when it happens, but it's not like I can undo the mistake.

What's worse is someone having a car door open dinging over and over again, too late or too early, for an extended amount of time while someone is digging around or putting stuff in it.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

How about a car alarm being set off accidentally? That's no fun either.

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Been there and had that happen also but at least with a careless push on the air horn button you only get one blast whereas with a car alarm it goes on and stays on until the owner, or someone, shuts it off or it runs the battery down and then shuts off. IMHO a short blast of an air horn is a tad more tolerated by those around it. Or maybe not depending on those around it...........:rolleyes:

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

10. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Had an alarm on a former motorhome that would occasionally go off by accident and causing a few embarrassing moments. Made sure the next motorhome didn't have one. :D

11. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

At least the horn didn't stick ON, like happened to me one time at a traffic light. I promise, it was an attempt at a quick "toot"!

12. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I had a jerk for a neighbor and he would complain about my motorhome being parked in my driveway. So I built a garage then he complained about a brick garage made to look exactly like the house. So since he was always yapping I would blow the air horns prior to pulling out if the garage to warn everyone. Well just the jerk so he would be safe. It was 5 yes after he started being a jerk. I finally moved but I just chuckle when someone talks about air horns. Oh they get the Flying j attendant together some crazy woman to move too.

BankShot likes this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey there john S. Some folks like to complain just to give themselves something to do. Several trips ago we were driving down the interstate when a motorist (I believe it was an old man in a Nash Rambler wearing a hat..:eek:) came down the onramp. After pacing us almost the entire length of that onramp he finally cut right in front of us and almost clipped our front end. I reached over and gave one nice loud blast on the air horn. My co-pilot told me the old fart jumped at least two inches off his seat and she thought he may have hit his head on the roof. He swerved over into what was the last few yards left of the onramp as we drove on by. I then saw him come back into the slow lane and he disappeared from view in my rear camera. Air horns do have a purpose when used at the right and correct times. Your neighbor was one of those times..............INDEED..........:D

Safe travels, BankShot................(aka Terry)

#13 BankShot, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020