Any Smoke-free (campfires Banned) Parks?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by imagardener, Sep 1, 2013.

1. BCGal

BCGal
    Expand Collapse

Hi all. It's autumn of 2020 now, a long time since the first post was created here on the subject of campfires in RV parks. I'm another one who hates smoke when I'm trying to enjoy the outdoor life. I have issues with my breathing that make me sensitive to smoke, and it just ruins my experience when I have to lock myself in the trailer with the air purifier running. So I've done what some of you suggested... I've begun researching campgrounds that DO NOT ALLOW CAMPFIRES, except for propane fires, or that have a few communal firepits for people to share. If you approve, please go to Facebook and look up my page at CAMPERS FOR CLEAN AIR. I live in British Columbia, Canada, so right now my listings are mostly in that region. But I am hoping people will begin to contact me with other campgrounds they know all across Canada and the U.S.A. so I can post those too. I hope to create a useful resource for those of us who want more fresh in their fresh air! Wishing you all very good health.

Onemoretrail likes this.
  2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thanks BCGal for starting up a Facebook page for Campers For Clean Air. My DW has issues with smoke and I am always looking for a campground where it's smoke free. I was surprised to see a provincial park on your list because almost all of them in BC have individual fire grills and even in the heat of the summer someone just has to have their fire. Good luck with the webpage and if I find any campgrounds to add to your list I will do so.

3. BCGal

BCGal
    Expand Collapse

We just spent 4 heavenly days at Porpoise Bay Provincial Park in Sechelt, BC. It has 84 sites, and during this week (Sept 29 to Oct 2, 2020) there were only about 20 of them being used. The park is gorgeous if you don't mind not having services, and the flush toilets are clean and there are hot showers. But the best thing is that there are no campfires allowed except for 3 designated spots. (FYI: The nearest sani-dump is at the Chevron station at 910 Gibsons Way, which is on the way back to the ferry bound for Horseshoe Bay.)

Onemoretrail likes this.
  4. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I know exactly what you mean. The wood at most campgrounds in the east is terrible, often just smoulders instead of burning. Once I bought some sawdust bricks "fire wood" which was okay to use at a state park. Those didn't have all the smouldering and black smoke, but the shape made it impossible to arrange them properly. I doubt anyone could get all campers to use something like that.

5. cpbl

cpbl
    Expand Collapse

@BCGal : thak you for your initiative.
    Unfortunately I don't /won't/can't use Facebook at all, so your facebook page excludes people like me.
    I'd like to step up this to a bigger campaign. I have colleagues who are PM2.5 / air quality researchers , epidemiologists, as well as disability lawyers. I'd love to see the content of your page and maybe shift to a non-corporate site (I could buy a domain; I can also host web sites immediately), and then reach out to some colleagues to see if they also like camping and would like to promote "Campers for clean air" or a similar catchy name to provincial and national parks in Canada, and state and federal parks in the US, and write an op-ed for the Globe&Mail and etc...
    Could we get in touch about whatever you've compiled?

Would any one else be interested in forming an advocacy group around this?

I've had enough of not being able to breathe at night in California, Wymoing, Quebec, New York, BC, etc etc etc due to the modern way that people use campfires. We would call on parks to provide areas that are entirely smoke-free.

weighit likes this.
  6. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Just what the world needs, lawyers, researchers and epidemiologists prowling campgrounds threatening to sue over the OUTDOOR air quality. Instead of making the park smoke free, I would totally support making the park activist free.

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I think you are going to have a problem trying to find anywhere where a park would be able to guarantee an "entirely smoke free" area. What about your neighbors in the "smoke free area" that like to grill their food? I've seen some grills pour out more smoke that a clean burning wood fire.
    I understand your concern/health problem but I strongly believe you belong to a very small segment of the "camping" population and as such, I doubt many park owners would consider a clean air option. I wish you good luck.

Darrell

newkcmoedoe likes this.
  8. Dogrunner

Dogrunner
    Expand Collapse

9. Dogrunner

Dogrunner
    Expand Collapse

Myrtle Beach North RV Park.

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Go wherever there is a sever drought which is a large portion of the western US. During drought periods, many counties ban open fires due to the forest fire risk.

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Great idea Fitz. Everyone come on out to California. Eat our expensive fruits and veggies, drink our wonderful wines, and enjoy our extreme heat and low humidity. But above all bring lots of money as you'll need it to afford our highest prices in the land. Oh, and don't forget to bring a fire extinguisher. You might just need it to help fight all the fires burning everywhere in the state........:eek: Fitz is right, just about everywhere in the state has a ban of the burning of any fire of any type and anywhere. So make sure to bring a bunch of TV dinners and eat a lot of salads. No BBQ'd ribs unless you cook'em inside and in the oven. Which you won't want to do because it's too darn hot out to turn on the oven. Bring your own water and bring it in huge amounts because the state is running out of water fast right now. Most all of the lakes and reservoirs are turning into mud ponds. And not a single solitary ocean water desalination plant anywhere to be found. Okay, I'll end this on that note. Just be forewarned if you do decide to motor on out here do so at your own risk.............:p

All the best, BankShot............(aka Terry)

#51 BankShot, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Fitzjohnfan and weighit like this.
  12. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We decided in 2018 as much as we liked California vacations for the weather, views and wine, the other things outweighed the good and we said NO MORE. Have exactly zero plans of ever returning. Our money is now going to other states for all our travels.

BankShot likes this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for not making California one of your future "travel to" states anymore weighit. We will miss your money and your contributions to our economy. But we will enjoy consuming the extra wine you won't buy or drink, which means more for us.........:p

Safe summer travels wherever those travels take you, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

14. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well that is sad news. We are contemplating dong the Washington/Oregon/California Coasts this fall. We have driven highway 101 from south to north twice but never north to south. Perhaps we need to do a rethink. :(

Darrell

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Darrell - - - Don't push the stop button just yet. The trip up and down 101 is a great one, we've done it several times also and really like it. I would suggest that you start making reservations now for the parks/campgrounds you want to stay in as many of them are booking up quickly for the summer and fall seasons. Beware also that rates in many parks have gone way up this past few months so be prepared to bring a few extra bucks with you. If you get anywhere near to where we met up last time you were thru this area let me know and I'll stop by with something good to drink. Hope the trip comes together for you and your bride and that you don't run into any snags, etc..........

All the best, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

16. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hey Banks, your state will be sucking the $$ from my wallet this August when we visit Yousemite and Visit family in Cathys Valley. We are smart enough to fill the tanks (water and gas) before coming across the state line, just about the same time I throw out the fresh fruit and firewood.:p;)

Regards,
    Chris

BankShot likes this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Indeed Chris, make sure you bring a big box or sack full of green along with a towable 1,000 gallon or larger water tank to get you thru until you make your exit run to the state line on your return, as California is almost out of water and you're gonna need it. A new state gas tax goes into effect tomorrow that is going to put our already sky high gas prices (highest in the nation) into the stratosphere. The state is slowly sucking the life out of all of us and we love to see out of staters contribute to the cause, so drop as much of that green as you can while here. While you head on in we will be heading out and north to visit family in Washington. Also by August much of the state will no doubt be on fire so be sure to bring your oxygen tanks and masks :cool: as you'll need them as you wind your way down the interstate thru the smoke and flames. Oh, and do have a nice trip.......:p:D

RVing we will go, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

18. greengal2

greengal2
    Expand Collapse

Was a list of 'no fire' campgrounds ever devised ?? thought I came across one some time ago but now cannot locate...