Can't edit past reviews

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jturner9, Jul 26, 2021.

1. jturner9

jturner9
    Expand Collapse

Why is it or what is the thinking behind not letting us post updates to current reviews we have made? Instead we have to post a whole new review. As an example of why we should is this. I'm work camping in an area. I have stayed in this campground for a month and a half. I will be here another 2 months before heading home to our house, for the late fall and winter. I wrote a review of the campground I'm in after the first month of staying there. A month is more than long enough to get the lay of the land and write a review. Sense that review write up they made a major change to the campground. One that should be noted in the review I did.
    A new review shouldn't be necessary for that one change. Just an update would be fine. I do not understand this no updates to reviews at all. It won't matter what I think I can tell , but updates should be allowed up until at least 4 months from the time of stay.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi jturner9 and welcome to the forum. I understand what you are saying and agree "to a point". I've posted a review only to find out a few hours later that I had made a mistake in something I said or made a typo, etc. and it was too late to correct it because of the current rules. However in saying that I offer this in response to your question. After a period of several months, wouldn't it be just as simple to go back and post a second review of the same park or campground and state in it what the update or changes are to that particular park. Personally I don't see the problem in just doing that rather than going back to your original review and making a bunch of changes to it. Both reviews will be seen by everyone interested in staying at that park I would think.........? Just my two cents worth here but again I would agree it would be nice to be able to correct simple mistakes made in a review for up to say a few days at least. Perhaps this will be allowed at some point.........:rolleyes:

Regards and safe travels, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. jturner9

jturner9
    Expand Collapse

Yes I understand that about adding another review ,but to make a simple line or two change is no different than what your saying . If I were to rewrite the entire review I can understand . Adding or changing a few lines shouldn't be an issue no more than correcting grammar and spelling ( which I'm bad at both ).A 100 or 200 character limit would work for changes.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I have reviews that have been read by thousands of people. If I went back now and made significant changes, those people would have no way of knowing it since a number of other reviews may have been posted following it. On the other hand, if I posted a new review with the new information, they would be much more likely to see it, as would others coming along that may not dig back far enough to read the original review.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just two cents here, not everyone posting reviews on this site may have the best intentions and someone might want to take advantage of that if you allow someone to come in an edit or rewrite a review after a longer period of time (like 4 months of so) Also might be difficult to keep track of when your getting maybe hundreds of reviews per day?

I did read something about where you can do some edits when the review is first posted, not sure if that was implemented.

There is a "Contact Us" button on the bottom right of this page. Maybe send a message with the changes you would like on your review. Hopefully they can accommodate you

Mike

Paythebill, jturner9 and BankShot like this.
  6. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That's it in a nutshell. Those who did that ruined it for everyone. They could go back & put untrue, slanderous or libelous remarks that we then wouldn't catch because it was added to an already approved review - possibly resulting in a lawsuit. Most of the RV LIFE forums have an edit window (up to an hour I think) & this might be something that could be implemented here for some future release. There just won't be unlimited edit capability forever.

Also, as previously posted, editing an older review will not bring it up to the top of the list, where a new/updated info review would. If one has updated info to provide, I'd think they'd want it as close to the top as possible of the listings on a park's page. For example, we get a lot of input from members suggesting we remove all reviews over a couple years old as they feel they are out of date & they don't bother to read reviews that far back. If you want to update a review that old or older, chances are a lot of members won't even bother to read it.

I think you have to wait 90 days, though, before you can submit a review to a park you previously reviewed.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. jturner9

jturner9
    Expand Collapse

OK so now I see that of course nobody edits anything on this site. Fine. Why can I not go back and ad another review as a new one stating it is an update from a past review? Right now I can't do a review of the campground at all. It, the system just keeps sending me back to the state map where the campground is located. Does this each time I try and click on write a review button. Is there some period of time one must wait to even do a new review? Been in this campground 3 months now. They have made changes and people should know about them. Changes were not done until after my last review. So I'm starting to sense protections in place for reasons I don't understand .

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

As leaf peeper stated in the last sentence in her above post, there is a 90 day wait before a review of the same park or campground can be made. You state that you have been at that campground three months now so this means you should be able to post another review very shortly now? Give it another couple of days and try again and if that doesn't work hit the"help" tab at the bottom of this page and inform the Admins that you are still unable to post a new review. Hope this helps............

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  9. jturner9

jturner9
    Expand Collapse

OK