Do Owners Of Resort Campsites Ever Rent Them Out?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by endofrope, Mar 23, 2009.

1. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

I am just wondering if the owners of the luxury resort campground sites ever rent them to defray their costs? I don't want to buy a campsite, nor do I want to buy into a NACO or Thousand Trails, and my husband absolutely refuses to go to the sales pitches in exchange for a weekend of free camping (we have had really bad luck with those). But I was just thinking that if I owned an expensive resort campsite, I would consider renting it out when I wasn't using it. They do it with condo's, why not campsites?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

This is done all the time. The park will take a % to handle paper work or you can rent it out and do all paper work, leases, taxes, damages, and etc.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I own two rv sites, one in Michigan and one in Arizona. When we are not using one or the other we will rent them out. I believe This happens all over the USA at many owner owned sites. I do not get rich by any means, but it does allow is to put the income towards the yearly costs.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We can also verify that this is done. We don't own a lot, but we have stayed at 2 resorts that rent out privately owned lots. I don't know if the sites we were on were privately owned or not. I'm thinking they were not because even though they were beautiful they did not have the extensive landscaping and other upgraded features of many of the other lots.

So this brings me to a question that maybe weighit can answer. Can the lot owner set the rental rate for their lot or are all rental lots the same price within a particular resort? Also if there are several privately owned lots for rent how is it decided which lot a renter gets. I'm not trying to pry into your business so it is ok if you would rather not answer. I'm just curious how this works.

5. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

How did you find the two sites that you have rented at these kinds of resorts?

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We weren't specifically looking for privately owned sites. We just wanted to stay at the resort and would have stayed there even if they didn't have owned sites. We didn't ask to stay on an owned site, and they didn't mention owned sites at all; they just assigned us to a site, and that's why we have no idea if the ones we stayed on were owned or not--although as I said before I don't think they were.

There are quite a few resorts that work this way so I don't think it will hurt to tell you that the two we stayed at were Outdoor Resorts of America parks; one was in Oak Grove, Arkansas, the other was in Las Vegas (that one is a Signature Resort now). I think many Outdoor Resorts and other high end parks have privately owned sites that they rent out if the owners allow it.

If you want to stay on just anybody's lot I would suggest that you call some of the upscale resorts in the area you want to stay and ask if they rent out their owners' lots and then get information about their their policies and procedures for renting them. If you want to contact owners to rent directly from them, I can't help you. I haven't done that and don't know how you would find them. Besides I really do think that lots would have to be rented through the resort office. I don't think most owners handle their own rentals, but anyone can feel free to correct me if they know differently.

Hope this helps you.

7. endofrope

endofrope
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much, this answers my question perfectly. I have never even tried to rent a site at resorts that I knew were privately owned, I didn't know it was possible. Again, thanks.

8. rangiebob

rangiebob
    Expand Collapse

Currently, we're in Moab at Portal RV Resort. Their rental rates are very high compared to most we've experienced, and their sales prices are also higher than most we've seen. When they rent out the ones that are owned, they give the owner 60% and they keep 40% of the rent. They set the rates and the renter has no idea which site they are getting.

QUOTE(endofrope @ Mar 23 2009, 03:55 PM) [snapback]15592[/snapback]

I am just wondering if the owners of the luxury resort campground sites ever rent them to defray their costs? I don't want to buy a campsite, nor do I want to buy into a NACO or Thousand Trails, and my husband absolutely refuses to go to the sales pitches in exchange for a weekend of free camping (we have had really bad luck with those). But I was just thinking that if I owned an expensive resort campsite, I would consider renting it out when I wasn't using it. They do it with condo's, why not campsites?

9. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

For the site we own in Casa Grande, Az we are able to rent for any amount we want. The park owns 25 sites of the 525 in the park and they rent them out, but as a owner of my site I could let people stay for free if I choose and it would not matter to the park. But it is easier to rent when we price ourselves a few dollars less than the park rentals. The site in Michigan is the same, only there the park will be the rental manager for me and take a $5.00 fee per rent for managing, if I choose. I could also rent it myself and keep the 5 bucks, but I like the fact that they are acting in my best interest and I don't mind paying them. The fee goes to the park upkeep and helps keep my yearly dues down a bit. Some folks in both parks have only purchased lots for rental income and others would never consider renting them out. We were renters in each place before we bought and still think we made a great choice in buying.