Matress Replacement

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DeRenzy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DeRenzy

DeRenzy
    Expand Collapse

I would like to hear pros and cons of anyone who has replaced their RV mattress with a home model. We have a queen size and have the room for a home model but it's heavier and stiffer so don't know if I can raise the lid over the motor with the new mattress laying on it. Any comments/suggestions would be appeciated.

Thanks

Daniel DeRenzy
    2007 Bounder 38L

2. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

We did it several years ago and the only thing is you can raise the platform over the motor, or storage depending on your rig, but because of the weight and stiffness the small hydraulic lifters are not strong enough to hold the platform open on their own. You need to either hold it open or jury rig a brace to hold it open.

3. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

If you are doing it for comfort, and decide not to go with a home model mattress, you might want to try a memory foam mattress topper over your regular RV mattress. I would suggest investing in a decent, thick one--I think they go up to 4" and I think I paid $200 for mine at Kohl's, and I'm sure there are way better brands available at better stores too. We have them on our RV mattresses after geting/loving one for my daughter's bedroom at home--she decided she wanted to sleep on her bottom bunk more often and that was just a full-sized futon mattress and I didn't want to spend the $$ for a new real mattress. Now her bottom bunk is the envy of the family, and guests even love sleeping there!

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Niki on the memory foam mattress pad! We have one that is 3" thick and we love it.

5. silverjack

silverjack
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DeRenzy @ Aug 16 2009, 06:43 PM) [snapback]18369[/snapback]

I would like to hear pros and cons of anyone who has replaced their RV mattress with a home model. We have a queen size and have the room for a home model but it's heavier and stiffer so don't know if I can raise the lid over the motor with the new mattress laying on it. Any comments/suggestions would be appeciated.

Thanks

Daniel DeRenzy
    2007 Bounder 38L

Hi,
    I bought the Memory Foam 4" topper mattress for my 25' trailer and i love it. very very comfortable. i went and bought one for my home mattress too! got mine at a "Healthy Back Store".

Silverjack

6. keystonepassport

keystonepassport
    Expand Collapse

7. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We got a Bed In a Box just over a year ago and not only was it a easy transaction, but it is a really comfortable bed. We sleep much better than with the original upgraded bed that came with the trailer. It is lighter and easier to make, plus we have helped a few other folks switch to the same company after laying on our bed. We feel it was a great investment for us.