New Pet Area

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by oakcreek1, Jul 6, 2010.

1. oakcreek1

oakcreek1
    Expand Collapse

I own an older campground and we are upgrading features needed for today's rv'ers. I am going to be adding a pet area but would like others input on it. I have an area that is somewhat level, that is about 60'X30', near trees so some shade is possible. Wondering is this area big enough and what features rv'ers like to have in a pet area.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

oakcreek1, Welcome to the forum!

I would think 60' should be just long enough to toss a ball or frisbee... though if you could go a little longer it might be better. I took my sheltie to a similar sized pet area in VA and what I noticed was my dog was to apprehensive to fetch when the ball/frisbee got close to the fence...so maybe a little more room might be better. The only other two cents I could add would be to make sure the area is cleared of obstructions so the dogs can run freely without the risk of getting hurt.

Just curious and I hope you don't mind me asking, do you allow pet walking at your campground? I know of a few resort style campgrounds on the east coast that don't, my guess because of liability...just wondering if that is an issue for you.

Mike

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I think having a dog area or dog run would be a asset to your park and if properly maintained, should be a winner. We have to go in search of dog parks while we travel and being able to give him exercise in the rv park would be nice. Having it in your advertising would bring in other pet owners and might help you make some money?? or at least fill some empty spots.

4. leorah

leorah
    Expand Collapse

Last year we stayed in a park in Tennesee that had great dog amenities. They had a dog play area divided into two sections. One larger section was for larger dogs. There was a wire basket on the fence with a frisbee and a couple of balls for play. Another area, separated by a gate, was for smaller dogs or dogs that didn't "play well with others." One of my dogs at the time was very old and not able to play with younger, active dogs, so this worked out very well for him. There was a water spigot and stainless steel water bowl nearby.

This park had lovely landscaping and dog owners were asked not to allow their dogs to urinate on the flowers. To make it easy to comply, there were "pee posts" everywhere. These were made of wood, several feet high and clearly marked. Adjacent to each pee post was a poop-bag dispenser and disposal container. The containers were regularly emptied, too.

This was a busy park and there were lots of people with dogs there, but you'd never know it by looking around. No poop on the grass, no dead spots in the grass, just lots of happy dogs and dog owners.

At another park we stayed at, on check in we were provided with a large dog bone and two poop-bags tied up with a piece of ribbon for each of our dogs. What a nice way to express appreciation for dog owners' business and gently remind them to act responsibly!

5. oakcreek1

oakcreek1
    Expand Collapse

My park currently allowes all pets, we have had everything from normal cats and dogs to a small circus years ago with lions and elephants. We try to avoid horses due to my experience with there owners that like to clean out the trailers on the site, but we do occasionally get them still if we talk to them. I may be able to make the area a little larger but also like the idea of two separate areas which I may have room in another area of the park for one slightly smaller for smaller dogs, I am trying to keep the area somewhat close to my over night spots. Is what a necessity or can I get by with out it, as I have no water lines relatively close to the area right now. I was thinking just fenced in with plenty of seating and the dispenser for waste pickup and disposal. Thanks for all your input so far keep it coming.

6. leorah

leorah
    Expand Collapse

I don't think water is a necessity in the dog run area. The thing I look for is cleanliness. I won't use a dog play area that has piles of feces in or around it. Plenty of disposal bags and a trash container are mandatory. I like the idea of some seating around the play area. That would add a nice touch.

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Just don't stick the pet area near the propane tank if your park sells propane. I stayed at a park once that had the pet area smack next to the propane tank and that can't be good!

JJ

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 7 2010, 10:17 PM) [snapback]22887[/snapback]

Just don't stick the pet area near the propane tank if your park sells propane. I stayed at a park once that had the pet area smack next to the propane tank and that can't be good!

JJ

This one confuses me. Why shouldn't they be close together?

9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Jul 8 2010, 04:25 PM) [snapback]22892[/snapback]

This one confuses me. Why shouldn't they be close together?

Okay, so I'm not the only one wondering about that. JJ, why?

10. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with some of the other posts, that there should be plentiful doggie bags and garbage cans available. I do believe 99% of people will clean up after their pet if you make it easy for them to do so. Bench seating is also good. Access to water is a plus for hot days. Don't put anything in there that a dog cannot pee on (no fancy flowers/landscaping.) If dogs are off leash it is difficult/impossible to control where they pee.

Pet ammenities are very appreciated by my family when we travel. Thank you for taking the considerations of us pet owners into account!

11. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Thumbs up to increased facilities for dogs. Given the length of our trips, we seek out parks that have off-leash fenced areas for dogs. The point has been made above and I concur....two areas are best: one for large dogs and a second for smaller ones. Our 20 lb Welsh Terrier has been "run over" by much larger dogs when all are mixed together. The separate areas gives both sizes companions to run and play with, at their own speed and in their own manners. Trash cans for waste is very helpful and double gates (to reduce the chance of escapees) are nice.

Make your dog facilities (especially the size of your fenced areas) clear in your advertising and people will seek you out. Take a look at the reviews for the park called FourPaws in Rutherfordton, North Carolina, to get a sense for how well received a good dog park at a campground can be.

12. 2hams

2hams
    Expand Collapse

Agree with all said. Plenty of poo bags and a trash container for them. Bench for the owner. Shade is good. Separate areas are also good. We search for places to run our 16 month Golden, and especially places to swim her. If you put out a kiddie pool then you get mud and would need a cleaning station. Glad to hear of more places that want to cater to us and our dog.

13. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

In my neighborhood they have dog parks. Most are separated by large and small dogs. One thing that they do is rotate the areas so that the large dogs do not tear up all of the grass and leave nothing but dirt and mud. When it looks like one grassy area is getting too worn, they switch signs and allow the grass to rejuvenate.
    The people that use the facilities on a regular basis do not always abide by the signs, and that is OK. Sometimes a docile older large dog does much better with the small dogs and a very active small dog seems right at home with the larger fellows. I guess what I am saying is that there are large and small signs, but most people feel more comfortable with an "active" and "docile" separation. People with dogs know what I am talking about.
    The good thing about the facilities is that everyone cleans up after their own dog.

14. airstreamingypsy

airstreamingypsy
    Expand Collapse

I'm so glad to hear when campground owners are making dog play areas. I seek out places that have off leash yards. I like when they have small/old dog sections and bigger active big dog sections. I don't need you to supply poop bags, because I always have them on me, but if you do..... The Dollar Tree has great "diaper disposal" bags that make terrific poop bags. 75 for $1.00. They work for all but the largest dogs. A garbage can for the poop bags is appreciated too.

Also, please don't limit the size of dogs you allow, I get so irritated when a place says dogs have to be under XXX pounds.... which is almost always smaller than my 50 pound Border Collies.... who behave perfectly.

Also, since you ask..... sometimes dog owners might need the name of a good vet, or emergency vet..... it's always nice to be at a campground where the owners knows who they should go to. (c:

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, to those who asked why I protested about putting the pet area next to the propane tank, sorry for not responding sooner, I was in an area where I had to "borrow" DSL on limited time.

Anyway, I guess I have concerns about being so close to the propane when it's dispensed, and the little dogs are low to the ground, wouldn't that affect them some way? I was at a park once where the "pet area" was next to the propane dispensing tank, and I just felt that can't be good for pets to be that close to where propane is dispensed. Just an "ick" feeling, and concern for pets health.

However, if someone can tell me that it's not dangerous, then I'll rescind my protest.

JJ

16. MinnysodaRVer

MinnysodaRVer
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 4 2010, 08:17 PM) [snapback]23309[/snapback]

Ok, to those who asked why I protested about putting the pet area next to the propane tank, sorry for not responding sooner, I was in an area where I had to "borrow" DSL on limited time.

Anyway, I guess I have concerns about being so close to the propane when it's dispensed, and the little dogs are low to the ground, wouldn't that affect them some way? I was at a park once where the "pet area" was next to the propane dispensing tank, and I just felt that can't be good for pets to be that close to where propane is dispensed. Just an "ick" feeling, and concern for pets health.

However, if someone can tell me that it's not dangerous, then I'll rescind my protest.

JJ

I think as long as your dog is a non-smoker, it should be okay. :p

Poop bags, garbage, shade, and a place for owners to sit would be good.

17. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I dispense propane and other than just a slight release of pressure where propane might escape there is no danger to pets or people. As a matter of fact the flies love it. If it were that dangerous I would definitely not be around it. We require all engines to be turned off and no smoking is allowed in the area but your pets are totally safe in the propane area.

18. Gwinn1952

Gwinn1952
    Expand Collapse

Why should Parks have to supply poop bags.....do people not bring their own? I have 2 small dachshunds and 1 golden retriever.....bought bags online so I always have 4 or 5 in my pocket. It just irks me to see people walking their dogs and not pick up after.....especially at Rest Stops. These people must enjoy steppping in it while they walk their dogs. Dog owners (the slight few of you).....start being responsible and think of others. Not only is it a mess to step around but the smell as well. Campgrounds...it's nice you have dog runs but whether you have poop stations or not....some people will just not pick up. We stayed in a campground in Beaufort, SC where they asked dog owners to leave as they wouldn't pick up after their pets.

19. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

You are correct about the propane shouldn't be in close proximity to a dog run because propane remains close to the ground for a brief period and can be fatal if breathed in by dogs and can cause humans to get pretty sick as well. Normally dispensing propane is pretty well controlled, but there have been cases where the propane "leaks" more than it was supposed to. I can't see why anyone would have the two close together but I guess it could happen.

I feel that a 30'x60' run would be adequate. I've also found that in most private parks that have dog runs, they are generally kept cleaner by the dog owners than in public parks. I don't know why that it but that's been my experience.