Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Goinmobile, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Goinmobile

Goinmobile
    Expand Collapse

Hi. I have a 1996 Class C on a GMC G3500 van chassis. I noticed it leaking a bit when cold but disappears as it gets hot. I have 3 broken bolts on the one side that I have to get out. I see no way besides pulling the head as there is no room to work. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Years ago I was told by a older guy, sometimes the shortest way home is the longest way around the field. Over the years that statement proved true more than once. Take the head off and do it right, might seem like more work, but will end up being the easiest and most correct way to do it. Just my opinion.

QUOTE(Goinmobile @ Aug 6 2010, 02:42 PM) [snapback]23340[/snapback]

Hi. I have a 1996 Class C on a GMC G3500 van chassis. I noticed it leaking a bit when cold but disappears as it gets hot. I have 3 broken bolts on the one side that I have to get out. I see no way besides pulling the head as there is no room to work. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I'm going with weighit. If there is no room. To use an easy out you must be pretty good at drilling a straight hole. You could do more damage to the head if you drill wrong.
    While you have it apart, that far, you might think about getting two exchange heads from a parts store. That way your top end will be new.
    I am a great one for getting to what is broke, than working my way back out replacing everything with new on the way out.
    I just got finished replacing the ball joints. While I was in there bearings and cv joints got changed.
    Just a thought.