Anyone Going To Baja These Days?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by happyscampers, Oct 22, 2010.

1. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

We bought our travel trailer 3 years ago with the idea of spending part of the winter in Baja. Then the news hit (and kept up) about Americans being kidnapped, robbed and roughed up on the roads, so we went from CA to Key West instead. (Brand new trailer, brand new truck and US plates. Mexico didn't seem a remotely wise idea.) Now we're wondering if any RV'ers feel safe heading south. :unsure:

2. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(happyscampers @ Oct 22 2010, 09:05 PM) [snapback]24671[/snapback]

We bought our travel trailer 3 years ago with the idea of spending part of the winter in Baja. Then the news hit (and kept up) about Americans being kidnapped, robbed and roughed up on the roads, so we went from CA to Key West instead. (Brand new trailer, brand new truck and US plates. Mexico didn't seem a remotely wise idea.) Now we're wondering if any RV'ers feel safe heading south. :unsure:

Blame it on the media for over reporting, or play it safe and accept that there may be issues. Personally, the safety of my family is not worth the risk of just saying it's hype. I'm not driving south of the border (though I will stop at South of the Border in SC on my way to Myrtle).

3. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Last winter was the first in several years that we didn't spend much of it in Mexico.

I wasn't worried when the violence was predominantly at the border towns, but in April the bad guys blockaded the toll road about a mile from where we had spend the previous winter. A shootout with the Feds ensued, leaving eight men dead on the highway.

And that was 800 miles south of the border.

We'll return when the situation improves. I sure hope it does.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We were at the border around Brownsville to El Paso and my wife refused to get within gunshot distance of it. Hard to say it is hype when you can see the dead folks on the news.

5. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

We live 12 miles from the border. We used to go all the time. I used to go to do charity work once a month or more. I almost never go to Mexico anymore. I looked it up and Mexico is about third in the World for incidence of murder. Besides murder there is a low crime rate down there, but I cannot get past the murder part. There is absolutely no way I would go down to Baja in out of the way areas. And since almost all of Baja is out of the way I guess I won't be going there. When the violence calms down we would go back.

If you need to go see a neighboring country try Canada. MUCH safer. Just don't fly there and take a chance on meeting a bomber on the plane. Gosh this is a dangerous World. What happened to J Edgar Hoover, Wyatt Erp, Teddy Roosevelt, and those guys to protect us.

6. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RFCN2 @ Oct 31 2010, 12:45 AM) [snapback]24757[/snapback]

What happened to J Edgar Hoover.....

Don't ask, don't tell. :p

7. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We were visiting some friends in south Texas and talked with the neighbor who is a Border Patrol officer. I asked him about trips into Mexico and he suggested that if you go, fly into one of the American tourism hotspots.

8. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Just today another young person killed down there, why chance it?
    My Webpage

9. sueinbc

sueinbc
    Expand Collapse

I think everyone has to do what they feel most safe doing.

Having said that, two couple in our circle of friends regularly winter in Baja and drive down from Canada in October and return in April. Because the roads are narrow and the shoulders minimal, they always drive in daylight. They have never had any problems. Getting through Tijuana needs a very good map as the road signs are not well marked for those who have not travelled the route before. There are some stunningly beautiful and very cheap campsites on the road down the Baja.

I have driven part way down and my hubby accompanied a friend the whole way on another trip so the above information is not just second hand.

Safe travels!

10. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Oct 31 2010, 06:25 PM) [snapback]24764[/snapback]

Don't ask, don't tell. :p

That was unnecessary

11. EMDQueen

EMDQueen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, there is turmoil in Mexico right now and yes, there have been some innocent people caught in the crossfire. This also happens in LA, New York, Chicago and any other major city. Common sense is always the best policy. If you are nervous about it, probably shouldn't do it. This is supposed to be fun!

12. tom fort

tom fort
    Expand Collapse

There are parts of Mexico where it is foolish to travel and then there are parts where it is very safe. We live most of the year in San Felipe, Baja, on the Sea of Cortez. This is a safe, quiet, friendly place where the "snow" birds mingle with the Mexicans without problems. The road from Mexicale is being redone so there are some rough spots. Come on down to visit.