New To Rv

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by edmondinho, Dec 30, 2011.

1. edmondinho

edmondinho
    Expand Collapse

Hello all, I have booked an RV in August for 3 weeks picking up in Los Angeles. I'm from England and it will be my first time in an RV. I've driven before in the US so I'm fairly used to the roads. I've driven down Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA. I've braved the freeways in LA at rush hour !

I'll be with my family, 5 of us in total. I writing asking for advice on the following:

1. Would it be best to book RV parks and plan the entire route for the three weeks in advance as I'm travelling in August?. Or would it be better to book only some dates and be flexible with some.

2. Whats the best way to book in advance, via the web?.

3 .Whats the usual nightly rate for a good RV park?

4. Some of the places I'd like to see are , Napa Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco. I'd also like to go up into Oregon. What are the best RV parks to stay at in these places?

Is there anything else I should be asking about

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards

Mark Edmonds

2. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edmondinho @ Dec 30 2011, 02:30 PM) [snapback]28511[/snapback]

Hello all, I have booked an RV in August for 3 weeks picking up in Los Angeles. I'm from England and it will be my first time in an RV. I've driven before in the US so I'm fairly used to the roads. I've driven down Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA. I've braved the freeways in LA at rush hour !

I'll be with my family, 5 of us in total. I writing asking for advice on the following:

1. Would it be best to book RV parks and plan the entire route for the three weeks in advance as I'm travelling in August?. Or would it be better to book only some dates and be flexible with some. That time of the year is the end of the summer vacation for families with kids so I would recommend that you reserve ahead of time.

2. Whats the best way to book in advance, via the web?.
    That's the way I do it and also by phone which will be impractical for you.

3 .Whats the usual nightly rate for a good RV park? They range widely from $25 to $75 and even higher.

4. Some of the places I'd like to see are , Napa Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco. I'd also like to go up into Oregon. What are the best RV parks to stay at in these places?
    The places in CA are likely to be higher than in OR. I recommend that you use this web site to look up the areas you want to see and then check out the reviews for the RV parks in the area. In OR, it's hard to go wrong with any of their state parks.

Is there anything else I should be asking about I'm sure a lot of people here will be offering a lot of advice. This site is a good source for all kinds of RVing info so please don't hesitate as more info comes in and raises more questions. Good luck with your planning and your trip.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards

Mark Edmonds

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I cant answer all you questions and I'm sure there will be different opinions but here goes...I try to book in advance as much as possible. I don't book on the web but by phone only. I keep a camping journal with all check in times, dates, deposits, reservation numbers if possible and any info that will reduce the risk of having problems on my travels, I'll also call usually a week before we leave to make sure no one as dropped our reservation, can't tell you how often I've read where some one has posted a review or comment about a reservation mix-up.

Coming from CT, can't tell you what the going rates are, but on the east coast with full hook-ups rates start at about $50 per night give or take.

Mike

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mark,

I have some questions for you that may help folks give you the advice you desire.

1. You say you are picking the RV up in LA. Where are you dropping it off? Since you talk about going into Oregon, could it Portland? That way you don't have to go all they way back to California.

2. What type of RV park are you interested in?: State or National park campgrounds that may be fairly rustic (possibly no hookups or maybe just electric), basic RV parks with full hook-ups (electric, water, and sewer), or full service RV parks with all the hook-ups plus WIFI, cable TV, recreational amenities (pool, playground, etc.). If you tell people what kind of RV park you prefer, you won't get a lot of recommendations for parks that don't meet your wants/needs.

3. What route do you plan to take on this trip? For example, will you be taking the coastal route or center of the state interstate 5 from Los Angeles to San Francisco? Then from there to Yosemite? and so on. Again, there is no sense in folks recommending RV parks on the coast if you are taking I-5.

With or without answers from others in this thread, you can check out potential parks to use on your trip park on this site.

Happy New Year!

5. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

If your returning the rented RV back to where you rented it, I'd go to the farthest point you want to see first. Only stopping overnight as you got to that destination, then take your time returning to the original rental place. Each place you stop is new and if you see something that really interests you stop and spend the extra time. Each time you move, your a little closer to home(rental location). Weather may make you change your plans and having to spend a day or two in one area shouldn't matter. I would only make a reservation for the first few days, then wing it and see how it goes. So far for me, we have never been left without finding somewhere to stay as we travel.

6. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

Mark - Los Angeles to Oregon is 900 miles. This would be my suggestions.

Book in advance or mostly in advance. Some can be done on line by many not. Get Skype and call cheap.

Important!!! California State Park campgrounds book up very early in the most desirable locations like Yosemite. You can book on line six months in advance. You need to be at your computer ready to push enter when the six months in advance clicks over.

I would do a circle route. Up Interstate 5 and down 101.

Pick up RV in LA. Stay in Valencia first night and go see Magic Mountain. Your kids will thank you. Then drive to near Sequoia Park the next day and go see big trees. It is a short trip to Yosemite from there. You can stay inside the park or at any of a number of RV parks outside Yosemite. Do not only go to Yosemite Valley which is as crowded as New York's Central Park in summer. See Glacier Point. Wawona. Hetch Hechy.

Go from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe. Stay at one of the lovely State Parks on the south west side of the lake.

Go to Lassen Park. See all the geothermal sights and wonderful scienery. Good fishing too.

Stop at Mt Shasta. Not lake Shasta, Mt Shasta.

From there drive to Crater Lake Oregon.

Turn around and then go towards the coast. Stop at lots of beaches and pick berries on beach.

Stop at Redwoods parks.

Go to Napa Valley.

Then SF

Meander down 101. Stop at the California Missions. There are several going down 101.

Go see Hearsts Castle on ocean on way back to LA.

Enjoy.