RV parks ought to take lessons from hotels...

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by docj, Sep 7, 2018.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As we drive home, for the second day in a row I've had to wait >15 minutes to register at a park despite having had a prepaid reservation. Both of these were at KOA's where all my information is onfile and there's nothing needed other than to tell me what site I'm in,

Why can't RV parks be like hotels where customers with pre-paid reservations can simply walk in and pick up their "guest folders"? Why do I have to listen to a workcamper explain to each customer where the bathrooms are, what cable TV channels are available, and what's the wifi password? I'm unlike to use any of these things and, if I change my mind and decide to do so, can't I read the information in the package? I may be a senior citizen, like many RVers, but I'm not demented and am quite capable of reading and understanding.

I recognize that since I'm retired I'm not supposed to care about things taking longer than they should, but what I'm suggesting would improve functioning of park registration desks and would increase the number of satisfied customers. This is the sort of thing that KOA could easily implement.

Ellistea likes this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That is just one of the many reasons I refuse to give my business to KOA. Been there, done that, not ever again.

JustDon likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

KOA corporate provides the mostly privately owned parks in their system with a reservation and management service, along with branding and marketing. How they handle check-in specifics is an individual park decision, just as the prices are. KOA provides guidance and training, but does not dictate strict adherence at that level. Off-hand, I don't know of anything unique to KOA parks that doesn't also apply to various non-KOA parks. I see no reason to single them out. There are good KOA branded parks and not so good KOA branded parks, just like the non-KOA branded parks...

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In our travels we have stayed at several KOA parks and found, as Dutch stated, really no differences from a privately owned park when it comes to the basics and amenities we look for for in a park. One was pretty bad, one was excellent and the ones in the middle were, well, fine for an overnight stop or very short stay. I do agree with what Joel said about it being annoying to have to stand in line waiting to check in and get your already reserved space but that happens in hotels and motels also and it all depends on how many check in personnel are at the front desk. We can't just walk into a hotel, walk up to the desk and butt in front of the check in line and say, "We're here, I'll take my room key please". Many higher end hotels of course have concierge services available for their higher priced rooms and suites, etc. but even those can have a wait line if it is a busy time. None of us want to stand around listening to a check in clerk give all the details in long form to a customer in front of us who in return will most often have a dozen or more questions that require additional detailed answers, etc. but again unfortunately at times that does happen. And I could even take this topic one step further. How about when you pull into a well known and usually full up park after a day of driving only to find five or six RVs siting in line waiting to check in before you. And yes I can think of one park we stay at quite often where that is the norm and not just an occasion thing. We just sit back, relax, even step outside for a minute to say hi to the folks in front or back of us who are also out stretching their legs, and just be glad that WE have a reservation for our favorite space and know that very soon the cork will be coming out of the bottle........... :D

Wine time be fine time, BankShot............(aka Terry)

#4 BankShot, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  5. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot pretty much laid out my opinion. How long you wait in line, and how long your particular check in takes is more of a function of who is in front of you than any policy or procedure of the park. If you have a nice way for the office staff to tell the people ahead of you to shut up, quit asking questions just pay the rent and go to your site, I am all ears. I don't know how to politely tell the guest in front of me that the staff isn't interested in hearing the narrative about all the details of their trip leading up to their arrival. It would be great if we didn't have to tell people where the restrooms, the pet area, the recreational areas, the trash areas, the laundry and extra parking areas are, but reading a tiny map printed on the check in material isn't a skill every RVer has mastered. Trust me, I don't want to spend one second longer than absolutely necessary checking in anyone. We all breath a big sigh of relief when the last check in is finished and that daily task can be put to bed.
    Doc complains it takes too long to check in. The next guy is going to complain that all the park cared about was collecting their money and then left them to fend for themselves. Yet another no win situation.

Hutch333id and BankShot like this.
  6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect, my post had nothing to do with KOA. It was directed at any RV park that doesn't understand that most people who have traveled all day would like a speedy checkin.

In fact we happen to like KOA's.

My comment about KOA was directed at the fact that an entity as large as KOA ought to be capable of implementing a "fast checkin" line, at least for frequent travelers. Because we have stayed a number of times at KOA's this summer, I have been "awarded" VIP status. I would love it if that designation meant that I could simply walk in and pick up my already completed reservation just like I used to do at Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton and other hotels.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

What I'm really complaining about is that RV parks haven't figured out a way to implement a "frequent traveler" program like most hotels have done; something that would expedite checkin. Granted that KOA (and maybe Jellystone) are the only "chains" large enough to do that, but they surely could. KOA already has a points-based loyalty program that can get you discounts on your lodging cost. It would be wonderful, IMO, if that program could also get me expedited check-in privileges. Because I have my information on file with KOA, they already have everything they need to assign me a site and paying in advance is a requirement of the KOA website.

Maybe it's worth noting that when we stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly a couple of weeks ago, we were astounded by how efficient the checkin process was. Even though there were 8 or 9 RV's ahead of us, the large and well-trained counter staff processed us in an amazingly short period of time. Of course, at the prices charged there one wouldn't expect any less.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect, that's not true of quite a few hotels. Many hotel loyalty programs have room keys and guest folders on a rack where incoming guests can grab them an proceed to their rooms without dealing with the desk. You don't need to "butt in line" because there's a separate line for loyalty program members. I used to travel >150 nights a year and that's usually how I checked into both Marriott and Hilton properties. FWIW, the same thing is true of renting from Avis, Hertz and National.

Ellistea likes this.
  9. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I stay quite a few nights at those same branded properties and usually the front desk has at most two and often one desk clerk. I have yet to see a separate check in line for loyalty members. It is just first come, first served. I am usually given directions my room, to the elevator, to the breakfast room, to the pool and the exercise facility. I am often shown where it would be advantageous to park. I still have to fill out and sign the non-smoking form. Still have to show my driver's license as ID. Have to give them access to my credit card that they set up for incidental expenses. I have to sign the form explaining the rates and have to provide information regarding my automobile. And they usually reconfirm my email, my home address and other information, since they realize it can change. But you are right, they don't tell me where the restrooms are, since, unlike at an RV park, they are always in my room.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

In today's world, the separate line I remember has been replaced by "mobile checkin" (at least at Marriott). Loyalty club members can check in by phone and their keys will be waiting for them when they arrive. I'm sure the other major chains have something similar.

marriott.JPG

#10 docj, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  11. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I would write the park if I had issues with any part of their process. Venting on a forum may make one feel better, but it'll do nothing to change a park's practices.

I actually wrote to a park when I disagreed with one of their check-in practices that I was not advised of prior to arrival nor was it listed as a policy on their website. Low and behold, they thanked me for bringing it to their attention & they changed that practice.

Lori-

12. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Dick, I see your point, and have some additional comments on the subject. I think RV parks in general are at least 20 years behind the times when it come to reservations systems, but the underlying issue is that most parks are indipendant entities, and not part of a chain or network (KOA and a few other chains excepted).

Shhhh, heres my million $$ idea...
    Watching TV, you will probably see ads for at least a dozen different sites that promise "the lowest price on hotel rooms, guaranteed". You can compare prices, features, amenities, and room availability, and book the room through the same site. This must be done through some back-to-back database, that hotels must pay for to be part of the search and booking database.

Now why is there not one website that can do the same for booking RV sites? It's because there is no back-end database where the site availability and booking tie-in is allowed, mostly because RV parks are still going it alone.

Now back to your original topic (sorry, I digressed). I think there is room for improvement in the check in process, but keep in mind, us RVers have more variables than the typical hotel guest. Some want full hookups, some want electric only, some have a tow vehicle, some have 45'diesel pushers, and some have pop-ups. The check-in person should be glancing out the window to see that the rig will fit the site assigned. Generally not necessary with a hotel room since all rooms will come with a shower, 1-2 beds and maybe a coffee pot. Very generic.

I know I rambled here, but just my 2 cents.

Chris g.

Ellistea likes this.
  13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I don't disagree, but, if you've provided all that information at the time you made your reservation, this should have all been taken care of. KOA's website, for example. is setup to ask for all this info. If you provide it, the park will have already set you up with a specific site before you arrive. If that's the case, why can't check-in be expedited?

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

One more comment on this topic if I may. We rarely run into problems with spaces or areas within the parks we stay at because I always make our reservations by phone and after reserving a certain space and letting the person know that we do not want to be in a space covered over in trees and that we want to have a space that doesn't have the blazing afternoon sun on the passenger side of the coach, etc. Picky folks aren't we...... :rolleyes: I always get the persons name and ask them to send me an email confirmation showing the assigned space number and request not to be under a treed area if the park has open air spaces available. These requests of course aren't as crucial to us for just overnight stays but they are at our destinations parks. By now we also know which spaces are the ones we want to be in and we make reservations a ways out prior to our trip so we are pretty much certain of reserving the space we want in a given park. One time we did arrive to find that the RV that had been in our reserved space prior to our arrival had a problem and wasn't able to leave until the next morning. So we worked it out with the person in charge and used another space that night and moved to our reserved one the next day. Stuff like this happens, you just have to roll with it. Either that or get all upset, start yelling and cursing, and then go pick a fight with the poor soul who is having problems and keeping you from your reserved space..........:mad: :eek: We don't travel on the clock and when we have to wait a short while before "popping the cork", no big deal. To others it might be a big deal and if so then it's on them as to how they choose to work things out................

I don't see RV parks becoming like the hotel chains with their "loyalty" programs and such anytime soon but isn't RVing supposed to be a different way of traveling in the first place? Personally I don't want to become part of or join an RV loyalty program. I like things the way they are and am fine with a short wait now and then. No clocks remember, just a good hotdog, a bottle of Two Buck Chuck and an unused flex straw, and we be happy campers........... :D

Ain't RVing grand, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

15. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Change is coming... Soon! This new system will provide the "back-end database" that Fitzjohnfan mentioned, at least for the Federal Parks. Other "chain" parks will probably follow in time.

https://rvtravel.com/reserveamerica-out-new-efficient-campsite-booking-system-coming/

I have mixed feelings about the new system. I see good points and bad. I think the first problem will be compliance with some of the smaller parks, at least initially.

This may be the first step to the streamlining like docj is wanting.

Ellistea likes this.
  16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Would some of those delays be related to questions concerning someone having a health issue, maybe a particular disability where they may need to change sites, an unexpected problem with the RV , probably more that I'm not thinking of.

Mike

17. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

We are in areas that are tourist destinations. People ask questions, often lots of them. Unlike hotels, our amenities are spread over several acres. Every RV park has certain policy and rules that don't come into play at most hotels. Things like campfire rules, gates that close at a certain time, quiet hours, guest parking areas and like are just not issues in hotels.
    As for expedited check in, I guess there may be a few parks that could accomplish it, but there are many roadblocks, not the least of which is if there are 5 rigs in front of the guest with the expedited paperwork there is likely no way to wiggle their 40 footer towing past the 5 rigs in front of them.
    As a final note, how much time do you really spend waiting to check in. It may seem like 15 minutes or more but I think if you put a stopwatch on it, it is probably much less under normal circumstances. I just don't think it's a huge issue when looking at the big picture.

BankShot likes this.
  18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with this last statement. What's a few minute wait to check into a park when the main purpose of RVing IMHO is to relax, not be a time watcher, and enjoy what the RV lifestyle is all about, etc. I spent a great many years of my life traveling around the world on business trips and time was of the essence in most all of those travels. No way will I allow myself to get upset over waiting to get to our space at park. Simply not prudent or part of my lifestyle anymore. Well said newkcmodedoe..........

BankShot................(aka Terry)

19. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

By way of contrast, we just checked into a KOA in San Angelo TX. All I had to do was sign a credit card receipt (for a charge that had already been placed online). The park had all its literature in a little bag which was handed to us. No need to explain to me what I could read on my own. We were in and out of the office in <3 minutes.

Just because I'm retired and a full-time RVer doesn't mean that I have to condone inefficiency. Nor do I have to accept being treated as if senior citizens need everything read aloud to them or they won't be able to figure it out on their own. I don't really care if my check-in took 15 minutes (which it really did) or 5 or 25. If you're a business and you have customers waiting in line then you need to figure out how to keep their wait time as short as possible. If you were in a grocery store, you would expect a manager to open another checkout lane. The same is true for RV parks. If your park is on such a thin budget that you can't afford a second person behind the counter during the peak ~1-5pm period, then maybe there's something wrong with your business model. Furthermore, if your driveway is so congested that rigs can't get passed one another while registering, then maybe you need to rethink your traffic flow.

IMO RV parks are businesses and should conduct themselves accordingly. As part of my role at RVPR, I've attended several RVPark owners expos over the past several years. I've met quite a few younger park owners, many of whom have inherited their properties from aging parents. It's been encouraging to see that many (most?) of these younger owners are approaching their businesses as businesses, not as "mom and pop hobby shops." That may make some of you yearn for "the good old days", but I, for one, think this may put some professionalism into an industry that is sorely lacking in it.

Don't get me started on all the ways RV parks need to evolve to be anything like the hotel industry. For example, when we traveled for business, how many of us would have accepted a reservation cancellation policy that was anything other than "by 6pm for non-resort type" hotels? As much as my wife and I frequent KOA properties, KOA has a 48 hour cancellation policy which I abhor. I don't mind paying $10 for the right to cancel 48 hours in advance and I wouldn't mind a ~$20 cancellation fee for cancellations less than 48 hours in advance, but I think that a full night's lodging charge for a cancellation <48 hours in advance (to the minute) is uncalled for. Why are RV parks any different than hotels? A late cancellation might result in an empty site for the night, but it might also accommodate a late arrival without a reservation.

Joel (AKA docj)

20. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Pause to consider that the typical hotel website offers your choice of a queen/king beds, mini-suites, two room suites, handicap access (if needed) and can accommodate requests for extra cots, etc. There aren't too many that permit smoking these days, but that used to be an available option, also.

IMHO RV park sites aren't any more complicated. KOA's online system asks me for the length of my MH, whether I am towing anything and whether I have slideouts. From this it calculates which sites at a particular park will physically accommodate my MH and, of those, are there any available for the dates I want. Requests such as "satellite friendly" sites are handled as additional comments to be handled separately, if possible. Personally, I would never ask a park not to put me in a site with sun on a particular side of my MH. IMO that's my problem, not theirs and that's what awnings are for. All I ask is for a site large enough for my MH and my toad and that has the appropriate hookups.