USA West Coast Adventure Report 2018

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jason Goodwin, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Sorry all....more of the visit to Palm Springs

Again the museum is part of the airport and you can sit and watch the private jets arrive by the minute.
    fullsizeoutput_1483.jpeg
    The aircraft and the volunteers are amazing and my pictures don't do the place justice. It includes personal clothing, documents and personal pictures from the subjects whose planes are represented. Also there is an amazing display for the Fighting Red Tails.
    IMG_2019.jpeg

Included are the models of a couple from Wisconsin, this one, a Fletcher class Destroyer, (I dont only know aircraft) is huge and apparently cost $30,000 to build in metal. I have never seen detail like it as one side is open and even includes the laundry. They have 5 models of this detail at the museum.
    fullsizeoutput_1485.jpeg

As I said Hellcats and Tigercats as well as a Catalina under restoration.
    fullsizeoutput_1477.jpeg

A Delta Dagger in the livery of President George W Bush with an aircraft painted in the colours of George H W Bush's (Bush 41) TBF Avenger "Barbara" that he flew in the pacific War. I loved the respect and honour shown.
    29MVAFU4TkKQX+YvBifqxQ.jpg

We spent our last night at the Palm Springs Street Fair which happens 2 Fridays a month with the main street closed off for markets and stalls. Palm Springs is definately worth a visit for relaxing and exploring. There are a number of well set out and comfortable RV parks within the area.

As an interesting side note a visit to the Scottsdale Desert Gardens for a family of 5 was around $100usd.... whilst the visit to the gardens that included a Zoo cost $60usd for the 5 of us.....value for money right there

The kids had a ball. being the parent of a child with an intellectual disablity can be challenging but seeing her have an absolute ball was a true gift to my wife and I.

On to Disneyland......

#21 Jason Goodwin, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    mdcamping, BankShot, NYDutch and 2 others like this.
  2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Great pics and commentary Jason. Can never get enough of those vintage WWII aircraft.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Rule? What rule Jason? There ain't no rules when it comes to giving the rest of us the enjoyment of going on all these trips you and your family take. POST THE PICS, WE WANT MORE!!! You've taken us to places in our country that we haven't even been to............ :D As always, incredible pictures and great commentary that explains them. WOW right back to you....!!!

Terry...........(aka BankShot)

4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason, Rule?:confused: Forgiveness?:confused::confused: I second what Terry said above.... more please!!! and Thank You for sharing an incredible adventure....

Jason Goodwin and mdcamping like this.
  5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Holy Wombats Jason! I have got to get out to the west coast!

Love that Black Tigercat?... plane looks slick! and I think that was a Convair B-36, as onemoretrail said love them vintage planes, so cool on all your pics! :cool: :cool:

Mike

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Great to see you've picked up the Aussie lingo there Mike............ :p

Terry...............(aka BankShot)

7. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Spot on @mdcamping Mike mate the B36 is from my all-time favorite Jimmy Stewart movie and yep they have nearly all of the Grumman Cats at palm springs the Tigercat was being moved for an event while I was there.....I highly recommend the museum due to the quality of exhibits guys.

And a new record...asked to say "Crikey" 4 times...I kid you not but Im happy to if it ensures that our extended USA family has a smile on their dial....

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  8. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

ladies and gents this is the end of the trip that is Disney and time to go home. Can I say I am inspired by the way you lot egg me on to keep posting reports and pics its a deadset highlight of my morning to get up and see that you have enjoyed my posts.

Rolled into Anaheim knowing that it was near the end of an amazing trip so little bit of sadness right there. Hotel was close...large with bunk beds and breakfast. Good overall location and value for money.
    jpsUlD2lQzqUqYmWjbYTMQ.jpg
    We are HERE........

We had a four-day pass for the cost of 2 days that still cost around $1000USD for a family of 5. I noted that in terms of RV parking there is an excellent location near the outlets at Orange but I reckon research could allow you to do better.

The kids didn't know what to expect but entry just blew them away.
    i9WAGLuqSOqZSyLWyRx+VQ.jpg
    I love a brand new Teenager...he had his 13th birthday at Disneyland....how is that not cool....apparently not.....LOL
    FOafTm5YQpydhwnky08xVA.jpg

From Star Wars...the new park is not open yet...... to traditions like the Mark Twain and its a small world nothing disappoints we all get to be kids again.
    ypFzVD7PSTmF0511+aD4Tw.jpg
    Moving between the parks is interesting and I would suggest planning your time...for my friends with grandkids...just give up.....
    jLKvMXAfT9e4WaQ1go6+Og.jpg
    Plan yourself around the fast pass......I suggest get the app based one for 1 day only and measure your time from there.
    v22pV9r2Tuy6%EV5Rkr8ng.jpg
    I first did Space Mountain in 1979 at the age of 9 years old and then got to do it with my 12 and 13 year old son in 2018......brought a tear to my eye I can tell you now.

Cars world...does it get ANY better than that we did the ride 4 times..its that good.

And the kids were blown away......we will come back....actually just to take the time to have a meet up with the following legends for meals, stories, laughs and a few (Hundred) beers
    @BankShot
    @mdcamping
    @Rollin Ollens
    @NYDutch
    Fi3QUNR6T029yh030Srb0Q.jpg
    Back to the report....Who just turned 13 at Disneyland........God, I love him......Teenagers....
    BSLcnhVeSui9aSmaIl5RzA.jpg

Moving on... Star Wars world is WELL underway and I got some glimpses that shows this extension is off the charts.
    LstXdjKJRS+VRIAefs%bfA.jpg
    Never ever not take a photo of a cool car........
    Rdvg59ecTByi2LJVNgHjpA.jpg
    Or a special child.....god help us.....

9. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So we are done.....Trip report complete for our amazing 3 weeks. Not the end for us but as it's my 5th trip to my favorite country we shall return.

Thank you so much to a country like ours that embraces visitors and makes them so welcome. Everywhere we went people wanted to assist and engage us. America is not only the land of the free....its the country of welcome and enjoy.

I am putting you guys on notice that the next one is an RV meet up where we get to share stories, food, beer and fine wine with you amazing people.

A country is about its people and you guys prove that EVERY day. Next trip is a meet up I am not kidding just let me get through 1 year of private school and we are game on.

Next report Queensland Bribie Island weekend with the family.

10. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Forgot to include @Paythebill in my visit list.....sorry mate;)

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Jason- Let me just say that if you do get back here and end up driving around the country in an RV, I personally will do my very best to meet you out west in my neck of the woods. We may not be in our RV at the time but I have a Ford pickemup truck ready, willing and able to drive to a predetermined place convenient to us both and hopefully a couple or three others also. Would be great fun to tip a cold one or nine with you and share some travel stories for sure. Once again on behalf of all of us who shared your trip with you, thanks for the incredible pictures and commentary. I have a feeling things might be a little quiet until such time as you once again put up a thread about your next trip. All the very best to you, safe and enjoyable travels wherever you do end up next...........

Terry................(aka BankShot)

12. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

No worries mate... It's all good...
    Thanks again for the outstanding pics and commentary of your family's adventure to the United States.
    An adventure that all of us here in the forum were able to enjoy.

Jason Goodwin, NYDutch and mdcamping like this.
  13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jason, thanks for sharing!!, wish we were in the neighborhood, would have liked to have met your family and have a few cold ones and share a few laughs. Hey maybe someday we can make that RV meet up!! :cool:

One last pic comment, both me and my brother both owned Ramblers in our youth , he owned a Rambler station wagon just like in your Pic and I owned a Rambler American. (of course we both recked them as teenagers :rolleyes:)

Mike

Jason Goodwin, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the great pics we've come to expect from you, Jason! And our best to you and your family on your return "Down under". A future RV get together sounds like a great idea to me too!

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.
  15. amareto

amareto
    Expand Collapse

It's too bad non of us could be close enough to you to share a cold one (or in Terry's case an extra large glass of one with a bendy straw), We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to seeing more pics from your trip and of course pics of your local trips.

Jason Goodwin likes this.