Camping with a strained back

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by melbecket, Jan 7, 2019.

1. melbecket

melbecket
    Expand Collapse

I've been planning to camp since last May, and I've got pretty much everything prepared but I've strained my back really badly. I have some troubles bending, sitting, and sometimes, lying on hard surfaces. It's too late to cancel now so if anyone has any suggestions about how I can make camping with back pain more bearable, go on! I will be very glad to hear you out

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mel and welcome to the forum. I am responding to your post because I pulled a muscle in my lower back the day before we were due to leave on an extended trip. I thought we'd have to cancel but decided to try one of those really good back braces. Well, it worked. I still had some pain and it was a still a tad difficult to do some of the things I was use to doing but it relieved a lot of the pain and I was able to move about freely and climb steps and even a ladder once. So I highly recommend going into either your doctor or to a good sporting goods store and buying a name brand back brace and do buy a good one because the cheap ones aren't worth the packaging they are wrapped in. Hopefully it works for you and saves your trip. Let us know how the camping trip works out and do post your review on the reviews side of RVPR. Again, welcome aboard, look forward to hearing more from you down the road.....................

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Welcome aboard Melbecket. We're looking forward to reading your reviews. I am glad that BankShot was able to give you some sage advice regarding your sore back issue. I have not experienced your affliction thus I have nothing to offer other than the old stand by.....a drink or two and if that doesn't help.....maybe a couple more (as long as you are not driving or operating heavy equipment).

Seriously though, We hope you find some way of easing the pain so you can enjoy your trip.

Darrell and Jerry

Paythebill likes this.
  4. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

When are you suppose to go camp? If you got some time between now and then you may have time to heal or feel a lot better than you are now. I know what it's like to have a really bad back so if you have some time go see a doctor for some 'strong' relaxants not the over the counter stuff and in a day or two you'll should feel much better. Good luck I feel for yea.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

That posture support is good but so is a actual lower back support that wraps around your waist, give support to the lower back area, and can be adjusted at to how to tight you feel works best. It aids when lifting or climbing and even when bending over. I have used one and they work so long as you buy a good one. Any high end camping store or even an orthopedic supply house will have them. I've seen them in Big 5 but I can't say how good those are but they might be at least worth checking out. Try one on and give it a test when bending over and climbing steps, etc. You will find out if it works for your needs or not. Good luck, hope the strained back and muscles eases up some for your upcoming trip................

BankShot............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Posts that contain links and advertisements for products are removed from view. When continuing this discussion, please do not include links or product ads in the posts. Thanks.

7. melbecket

melbecket
    Expand Collapse

I tried using a posture support but I am not sure that it'll be enough without painkillers. I am going to visit my doctor as soon as I am back home because I am out of town now. When I visited him last week, he said that I won't need any pain mediciation because my case is not severe.
    BankShot, thanks a lot for the advice! I will go to the pharmacy now

8. Josh Z

Josh Z
    Expand Collapse

My mother had back pain (went to the doctor and doctor said she have muscle spasms) just days before we camp because she moved our washing machine alone. Her back pain would just trigger once a day but it is really painful so during the camp she would have her own foldable sofa so she would really be comfortable. And avoid too many movements like don't help in setting up your tent or helping set up the bonfire.

9. Outdoorlova

Outdoorlova
    Expand Collapse

Are you sure you still wanted to camp I strongly suggest that you should rest for a while.