" PURE GREED, et al "

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by BankShot, Dec 12, 2018.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

For the most part we were cruising a few hundred feet above the treetops, I don't like heights myself but we felt very safe. Quechee VT area is extremely scenic even more so from above!!

I don't remember what exactly we paid but I believe it was over $600 for the both of us, that we had no problem paying! :cool:

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We started RVing in 1991 and I recall that full-hookup sites were in the ~$25 range. The cost of living difference between then and now is a factor of 1.84, so that $25 site ought to cost ~$46 by inflation alone. Even if you could get sites at $14, those would cost ~$26 today.

At our site in south TX our electric utility provider sends me daily summary of our electricity usage and cost. We are on an extremely low cost plan which averages out to <9 cents per kWh and I am often amazed to see how much energy a 40' MH with two A/C's can use on a hot day, It would be difficult for an RV park to rent you a site for $14 if your electricity usage for the day could easily be $5-8.

Joel (AKA docj)

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Surprisingly, the lowest cost site we'll be in this winter is Lake Powhatan Recreation Area Campground in the Pisgah National Forest near Asheville, NC at $21.60 for the full hookup site in my avatar. Granted, that does include the Senior Access Pass discount on the base price. Second lowest is Salt Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest in Salt Springs, FL at $22.21, also with the Senior Pass discount on the base price. Other winters, the cheapest site has been an electric only site at Midway Campground in the Big Cypress National Preserve next to the Everglades at $15 with the Senior Pass. Florida does not need to be expensive in the winter unless you insist on neighbors parked close enough to hear your toilet flush and a full calendar of events that you won't attend. :rolleyes::D

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

It all boils down to Location Location Location. We noticed that prices really soar in Sante Fe during the Balloon Festival and you must stay for a specific length of time as well. Here on South Padre the KOA is charging $90.00 for some sites (We're not at the KOA) but this is a very popular area with not much to choose from.

You gotta pay if you want to play I guess.

Darrell & Jerry

Paythebill likes this.
  5. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

That's a great analogy.

You might add "or unless you're not old enough for a senior pass."

Paythebill likes this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

No need really... The other 49 nights we'll be at Florida State Parks at an average of $23.91/night with no discounts. Still low cost compared to the often crowded and expensive commercial parks.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Johnmsmith

Johnmsmith
    Expand Collapse

It all comes down to being enslaved by money. The ancient Sumarians created money to calm the uprising of the slaves. So far, it has worked beyond their wildest dreams.