Winter camping in southwestern pa

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Alucke, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Alucke

Alucke
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of taking my tt to the koa near me that is opened year round, for a week. The koa website States that it still has full hookups for February. The only thing i know I need a heated fresh water hose. What else is needed? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Adrian

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

2. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Lots of propane. While using an electric heater for the interior of your travel trailer may be efficient, most travel trailers rely on escaped heat from the duct work of your regular furnace to keep the pipes under your floor and in the storage area from freezing in cold weather. Just don't use an electric space heater exclusively.

3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Further to the good advice from Bama Camper check your unit to make sure that your forced air furnace WILL keep your holding tanks warm. I have a friend that has a "Lite" trailer that found out the expensive way that it's tanks were not heated. A good way to check is to note if your black and grey drain valves are exposed. If they are inside a compartment that's good sign.

Secondly, if your tanks will stay warm, I wouldn't bother with the electrically heated hose. Fill your fresh water tank and keep the hose disconnected until you need to refill.

Darrell

4. Alucke

Alucke
    Expand Collapse

The underside of my TT is insulated, and the black and grey tank valves are the only things exposed. And the forced air heat works awesome.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Alucke and welcome to the forum. There are a couple of things you can try at the start to keep things from freezing up, etc. You can wrap exposed valves and piping, etc. with the same stuff you use to wrap an outside water pressure valve and exposed pipes at your house. Might be a tad tough doing the job but it will work. Also where your water pump is located if you don't have a bay heater then a single 100 watt bulb on a drop light inside the bay will keep enough warmth in that bay to keep the pump from freezing up. As for the inside piping, if it gets below freezing out then a simple and quick turn on every few hours of all the faucets and the shower will keep the water in the lines from freezing solid. When you open those faucets also run the hot side for a few seconds as that will pull water in the line from the fresh water tank to your hot water heater and keep it flowing.Granted you may have to get up during the night to do so but at least that will keep the lines from freezing during a hard freeze. From what I've learned over the years small portable electric heaters are great for indoor short time use but NEVER leave your RV with one on. Only use it when you are there. As noted by Rollin Ollens (Darrell) above best to use your onboard propane furnace as it will aid in keeping your holding tanks from "getting slushy" inside. Have a great trip and be sure to post a review on where you stay.................

Regards, BankShot..................(aka Terry)

PS: One last thing. If there is frost or snow take a can of Silicon spray and spray both the rubber molding around your entry door and run a light spray around the jam itself as that will keep the door from freezing shut. If you've ever gone out to your car on a cold freezing morning and found the door stuck shuck, you'll know what I'm talking about.......... :eek:

Rollin Ollens likes this.