Maps changes coming soon (again)

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As most of you are aware we made some change to the maps a few months ago in response to googles update of their user agreements. The Apple maps we've been using in the interim are not great and so in a couple of days you will see a new map provider and we hope this will be an improvement,

#1 Janet H, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Rollin Ollens likes this.
  2. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You should be seeing these new maps today. There are options to zoom, change the view to satellite or to an integrated view. They look a little different but seem to work well. If you run into issues please let us know.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Not too bad, you can't zoom in as close as with Google and the image seems to lose coloration when you do zoom as far as you can. That's just after 10 minutes of playing with it.

One thing I find interesting is that if I use Zillow to look at my home property it uses a significantly later photo image than I get if I use Google directly even though the Google image is dated as 2019. It's definitely at least 3 years out of date. I've cleared my browser cache and tried a different browser and the result's the same. Puzzling

#3 docj, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  4. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We're tinkering a bit with the views...

5. Grumwolds

Grumwolds
    Expand Collapse

This really needs to be fixed. The full-screen Google maps option is what made RVParkReviews.com my go-to for trip planning. This is a huge step backwards.

VW_Vista likes this.
  6. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You can still find the full sized google map by clicking on "view larger map" on the park page map display :)

NYDutch likes this.
  7. Grumwolds

Grumwolds
    Expand Collapse

I'll try again. The most helpful feature is to be able to see a full screen Google Maps view with all of the campgrounds' locations. Then, I can hover over or click on each red marker to get a quick view of the name, number of stars, etc. It also lets me figure out which places are in the same vicinity as one another, which ones are another 30 minutes down the road, etc. That's what made RVPR so great for planning. I'll try again -- maybe the problem is more on Google's end, but nevertheless it makes this site less useful. Thank you!

8. Grumwolds

Grumwolds
    Expand Collapse

The full screen option is now back!! The icon to expand it was not there while using my laptop last night. I wonder if that could be the issue. Thank you!

NYDutch likes this.
  9. Tech Admin

Tech Admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We just added the full screen option by popular request. :)

VW_Vista likes this.
  10. Grumwolds

Grumwolds
    Expand Collapse

I've been using it for several days now. Next is to revert back to the better Google Maps. Thank you!