Looking for a 4 down towing option 24' motorhome

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Ladder187, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Ladder187

Ladder187
    Expand Collapse

Our Rig : We have a 2017 Mercedes Benz 3500 chassis with 6 cylinder diesel engine. It is setup with a receiver hitch with electric plug for tow vehicle lights. Being new to this I guess I am asking for a little advice but have heard that blue ox is the easiest and most reliable method of setting up. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well Ladder187, I answered your question in an earlier post. I did not scan for new posts first. For the benefit of those who may not read my earlier reply I will reiterate (and add a bit).

We use Blue Ox with a Brake Buddy towing our Wrangler. We have noticed that the most popular towed vehicles are Honda CR Vs and Jeep products. We tow with a Ford Chassis V10 and do not feel the Jeep when towing. We are now using our third Motorhome and have been towing from the beginning. First Motorhome was GMC powered small block 400 cid towing a standard 4X4 S15 Jimmy. It wa a P I T A! We had a fixed tow bar and I had to disconnect the rear drive shaft. Next was a C Class with a Ford V10 towing a Jeep XJ. We still used a fixed tow bar but no messing with drive shafts. Then got a Jeep TJ (Wrangler) and Blue Ox. So easy to set up and disconnect. We now have small Ford powered V10 Class A and a Wrangler JK. We can be hooked up in less than two. The Wranglers and CR Vs are light and versatile. I think the CR V has a max speed limit when towed. The Jeep does not.

No matter what you decide to go with please make sure you have a brake system that will stop the towed if it breaks away.

Safe travels

Darrell and Jerry

Ladder187 and Paythebill like this.
  3. Ladder187

Ladder187
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. We looked at a Chevy Equinox today and the trade in prices are very low. Hopefully their minds will be more generous on Monday.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Were starting to close in on retirement, as for us 10 months ago we traded in DW's honda fit, as we bought a low mileage certified pre owned 2014 Honda CRV.

We bought the CRV for 2 reasons, 1st DW hated :mad: her Honda Fit, 2nd we also have options to tow 4 down, but we shall see on that. :cool:

Mike

Paythebill and Ladder187 like this.
  5. Ladder187

Ladder187
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,
    Going to pickup an Equinox Saturday (last day of work) and scheduling installation of the Blue Ox setup. From the sounds of it campers inn RV. Thanks for all the information provided me and wife. Going to hit the road soon after.

Ray and Susy

Rollin Ollens and mdcamping like this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We hope the Chevy works out for you!

Darrell and Jerry

Ladder187 and Paythebill like this.
  7. Ladder187

Ladder187
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone,
    Just waiting for Campers Inn to call that parts are in for the tow car. Thanks for all the input on selecting a vehicle.

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  8. Martinbrown232

Martinbrown232
    Expand Collapse

Hii I am martin, I am looking for a trailer for my bikes. we are looking for a trailer which has the capability to take 3 motorcycles at a time, and also trailer must be durable and reliable anybody has a recommendation for me?