Outer Banks park/overnight stay advice?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Dujazz, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Dujazz

Dujazz
    Expand Collapse

We're new to RV'ing (rented twice so far) and will be renting a 24ft. Siesta in May and driving from New Hampshire to the Outer Banks. Planning to stay in NJ the first night and stay at the OBX campground the night we arrive, but expect to move after that. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other places to camp with the RV in/near Outer Banks (or halfway down if you've ever made that trip). Would be interested in any suggestions for "must do" things, in addition to checking out Kitty Hawk and spending some time on the beach.

2. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

It's a little off your track, but the First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach isn't bad for an "urban" park. You'll enjoy Kitty Hawk - while you're there, slip up to the Black Pelican Restaurant - LOTS of history there and excellent food. Parking for your 24' should not be a problem unless it's right at mealtime. Parking is in back.There is also a beach access with public parking next door (South) of the Pelican.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Years ago we stayed a couple of times at Camp Hatteras RV Resort & Campground in Waves. A resort campground with everything. At the time we had our kids with us so that is why we choose the campground. The KOA next door gets good reviews too. Ocean Waves Campground also next door is more bare bones and is better for folks without kids. I remember Ocean Waves Campground was tough to get into so advance booking is a must. If we were to book again we would book Ocean Waves Campground as we mostly go now by our self's and campground is less money. Speaking of money everything out at the OBX is $$$$

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/north-carolina/waves

When we traveled from CT we went through PA , I78/I81 to I66 and picked up I95 south of Washington DC if I remember.

Mike

Jason Goodwin and Paythebill like this.