Planning an RV Trip

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by JReon, Jul 2, 2019.

1. JReon

JReon
    Expand Collapse

My Wife, Son and I are planning a trip at the end of August, we'll likely rent a Class C camper from RVShare or Outdoorsy.
    We're quite new to RVing so we're looking for some advice in terms of planning the trip, avoiding unsuitable roads, finding campgrounds etc.
    I found this article https://www.crowsurvival.com/rv-trip-planner/ which has a bunch of tools to help plan a trip, but ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible.
    Can anyone make any recommendations of tools or apps that will help us out?

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With the size RV you're likely to be driving as a rental, you're not really going to need to worry too much about "RV friendly" routes. Google Maps provides excellent, free advice as long as you pay attention to its penchant for "cutting corners" in order to save a minute or two.

If you want to use a trip planner that helps you find places to stay at the end of each day's drive, then RV Trip Wizard is a fairly inexpensive planning tool that directly links to the RV parks and campgrounds in our database. Of course, to be honest, I have to admit that RV Trip Wizard shares its management with this website. A nice aspect of using a trip planner rather than just using Google Maps is that it's easy to save a multi-day vacation route that you can use as a reference.

If you want more RV-friendly route guidance then you might want to consider an RV-GPS although you need to understand that none of these devices is without its shortcomings.

Feel free to ask additional questions.

Joel (AKA docj)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. JReon

JReon
    Expand Collapse

That's good to know, thanks Joel.
    I think we might give RV trip planner a go. Do you know if they have a free trial?

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert