With all due respect...

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Phaeton40AH, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Phaeton40AH

Phaeton40AH
    Expand Collapse

It is indeed unfortunate that the moderator who made what is apparently the final post on the thread originated by user Central Cal 5er, Bye Bye Campground reviews, didn't carefully reread all of the prior postings on the thread before he made his. Perhaps if he had, he would have realized that it was Central Cal 5er who commented that his "reviews weren't posted because they didn't 'add enough value' to the website", and not I, as the moderator emphatically claimed.
    I was going to bring that significant point to the moderator's attention through a subsequent post on that thread; however, the moderator used his authority to declare, "continuation of this thread is pointless and, therefore, I have closed it to further comment." And, if that was not enough, there was an additional warning at the end of the thread (provided by the Forum software company?) further admonishing me by stating that I "have insufficient privileges to reply here." OUCH!
    So left with no other alternative, I started a new thread here, as I believe a common sense of "fairness" should give anyone falsely accused a chance to respond.
    I realize that forum postings are normally largely made up of opinions, but in this case I am reminded of the often quoted expression, "We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts." I hope at least some of us can at least agree on that.

#1 Phaeton40AH, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, after twelve years, one hundred and seventy one POSTED reviews, countless hours preparing said reviews so I could offer my fellow RVers my insights so they could make informed choices on where to stay...…….I say good bye. I say POSTED reviews because many times I have given up adding trying to add a review.

Your competition has your site beat Camp Ground Reviews! As much as I have tried to stay loyal, you have created restrictions that I am tired of fighting. You make me resize my photos, restrict a review to 2000 characters and have moderators that censor views that they feel do not follow the "party line". After I have resized my pics you make me load them one at a time and the process is slow. I write my reviews off line and then do a copy and past. If I am over 2000 then I must go back and edit. I am retired but my time is still valuable to me. If you can't make to process easy for me why am I helping you make a buck?

Darrell

3. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hi Darrell - thanks for the input - we know there's room for improvement and in fact next week you will see substantial changes in the site including much better image handling and some cool new features (including being able to write draft reviews and then save them).

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Darrell, I would hate to see you leave, maybe give them a little more time with the improvements mentioned... see what happens. :cool:

What ever decision you make, your still always welcome here on the forum!

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Darrell - - - Mentioned in another thread to watch out for the greener grass on the other side of the fence. If you do leave the reviews part don't let that keep you from sticking around the forum and keeping the rest of us honest............ o_O

Regards, Terry

Paythebill likes this.
  6. novatz

novatz
    Expand Collapse

It has been a few months since I used this site. Is it just me that finds the format unacceptable? I generally know where my destination is and search for a CG based on that city or route along the way. Troublesome at best. Unacceptable at worst. And this coming from someone who spent 40+ years as an exec in the IT world so yes, I am more than conversant.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You can still do that on this new site.

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  8. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

I’m just a dumb crayon-eater, but why wasn’t the new format beta tested before rollout?

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry USMCRET but I have to ask. What is a crayon eater and why do you do it?....:rolleyes: We had a detachment of you guys aboard our ship, but before you tell me they were on board to protect us swabbies, I have to set the record straight. We had you guys on board to give us someone to dance with when out at sea..........:D Hey, what you stated above makes sense but I imagine when changes like this are made it gets really hectic and frustrating for those making all the changes. And things get overlooked at first or seem to work and then don't, etc. Takes time to get it all resolved and working smoothly as several of the admins have stated. Give it a short while longer and all should be working smoothly again. In the meantime sit back and enjoy the holiday season that is upon us. And keep those posts coming whenever you are able to pull away from eating them crayons.........:p By the way I hope you know of course I am just yanking the old anchor chain.........

Best regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

USMCRET, Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  10. novatz

novatz
    Expand Collapse

I can select a state but I get a map with "bubbles" and number of locations. Not useful for searching a specific city when I know my route and wish to view CG's only in those cities nearby. The "bubble" routine is not at all as useful. Nice try. Maybe I am missing something.

Paythebill and docj like this.
  11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I must be missing something. I just put San Antonio Tx into the search bar and I was presented with a map of the SA area with pins in the map at locations of RV parks. I'm not sure what you're not getting.

I use CGR exactly the way you do. I know my route and want to find places to stay along it. I don't think the functionality of this version of the site in this respect is any different from before.

Paythebill likes this.
  12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Try clicking on the "View More Cities" button under the "Popular Cities..." pictures after you select the state. And then click on the "Show More" button to see the full list of cities.

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  13. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Zoom in toward the bubble with your mouse wheel or the + sign in the upper left corner of the map. As you zoom in, the bubbles "dissolve" into specific locations. Re-center the map if you need to as you go in with your mouse "hand".

NYDutch, BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The "bubbles" were on the map on the old site, and they worked the same way as this site. As Bama Camper said, when you zoom in, the bubbles become pins to locate individual campgrounds.

If you are wanting to see campgrounds in or near a specific city, you have to go to that city's page just as NYDutch explained. This again follows the same procedure as the old site.

Maybe these step by step instructions will be helpful:

Click on a state. State page is displayed.
    Scroll down to "Browse (name of state) Campgrounds by City." Click on Show More and all the cities in that state will be displayed.
    Click on a city name and the city page will be displayed, This contains the list of campgrounds in or near that city, and the map shows their locations.
    Click on a campground and the system will display all the info about that specific place: address, link to park's website, amenities, reviews, tips, photos, etc.

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  15. ArmandV

ArmandV
    Expand Collapse

It has been a while since I last submitted a review (last summer) and I added two today. What happened to our profile page with the map and listing showing the states and places we visited? The old format was much better.

16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

ArmandV and Paythebill like this.