Cannot edit review

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jerrybx, Jul 31, 2019.

1. jerrybx

jerrybx
    Expand Collapse

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

One of the Admins will take care of this for you.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for reporting this. The correction to your nightly rate has been made. For future reference, the best way to report this type of information is by clicking on the Contact CGR link (sometimes it says Contact Us) found at the bottom of each webpage.

4. Kalama Traveler

Kalama Traveler
    Expand Collapse

Why not just make so the review can be edited,like these forum posts can?

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have discussed giving reviewers the ability to revise their reviews for a certain short period of time after they are submitted, but the website developers have not initiated that function yet.

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I agree a short editing period would be good, but I also think that should pull the review and resubmit it to the new review queue, perhaps with a flag to indicate it's a resubmission that includes an editing log.

Paythebill, mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excellent suggestion Dutch. Would be really nice to be able to edit a review made after catching an error and wanting to correct that error but can't. We do it with the posts we make and hopefully the website folks can make this happen for us..............

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As I recall, the problem with permitting editing is that there is no way to ensure that people won't take a perfectly acceptable review and turn it into a rant unless you subject every edited review to a manual re-evaluation. At that point, it's just as easy to let people submit changes through the Contact Us route since this tends to discourage minor, or frivolous changes.

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I believe docj is correct that part of our discussion about allowing reviewers to edit their reviews was how to avoid having to re-evaluate the review after it was edited. However, I also seem to recall that we proposed that reviewers would only be given a window of about an hour to edit their reviews and the reviews could only be edited by the reviewer if it had not yet been posted. That way the edited review would still go through our normal approval process. If the reviewers wanted to edit the review AFTER it was posted, they would have to go through the Contact Us procedure.

Paythebill likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

X2 on this idea,

I am thinking after a review is posted online... all said this would be work for the IT folks to change the software and maybe more work for the admins to recheck or maybe compare the resubmitted review to make sure its just an edit?

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  11. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I like underlying idea but the proposal was made at a time before a large percentage of our reviews were approved by an automated process. Today, auto-approved reviews are posted instantly. There isn't an hour before they go online. Are you proposing that we now introduce an hour delay in the automated process? If so what kind of message gets returned to the user? "Your review has been approved and will be posted in an hour. You have the right to edit it within that hour but, if you do, it may no longer be approved."

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I wasn't really proposing anything at this time. I was simply reporting to Kalama Traveler that there has been a discussion about allowing edits and what I recall about that discussion. And yes, some things have changed since that discussion and what was proposed back then may no longer work, but at least we have thought about the pros and cons of doing this. Also I could see delaying the posting of reviews for a specific time period to let the reviewer check his review and make edits. This may not be feasible from a programming standpoint, but it is something to think about.

Paythebill likes this.
  13. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I have my Gmail set so that I have a minute or two to retract an email before it is sent. I can't image we can't design in a few minute delay during which reviews can be retracted and edited.

Paythebill likes this.
  14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

A year or so ago a Windows 10 upgrade crashed my PC and I lost many of my email contacts and other assorted programs. I then found out my ISP and Windows 10 would not "handshake" to get my Windows 10 email program back again and the "kind folks" at Microsoft blamed it on the ISP, which of course was not the case. With Windows mail I was able to send my emails to an "outbox" where they were held until I went to that outbox and sent them from it. That afforded me the chance to catch errors or make changes to any email. With the email setup I use now thru the ISP exclusively, I no longer have that option. Joel...(aka dokcj), you are fortunate to have that feature for sure. Hopefully something can be done to at least give all of us "fumble-fingered" folks out here the opportunity of at least a few minutes or more to correct any errors or add/subtract something from a review we have sent in and realized after the fact that we messed up..............o_O

Keeping my old and decrepit fingers crossed this can happen, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Terry,

Many people have migrated from email clients such as the one in Windows 10 and Outlook to Gmail because it is versatile and can be accessed easily from anywhere. You continue to use your ISP as usual but you add access for Gmail. The ability to delay sending emails is built into Gmail. I can still access my emails through my ISP but I rarely ever do that.

To be very clear, using Gmail as an interface for your email has absolutely no impact on your email address as seen by the outside world.

Joel

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  16. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Thunderbird has a "Send Later" option, but it's a manual function, not timed.

Paythebill and docj like this.
  17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the clarification on this Joel. I was actually under the impression if I did get a Gmail account that my email address would change but in thinking about it after reading what you stated, when I had the Windows Mail program my email address was the same as it is currently. Guess the old grey matter wasn't working in full mode. I may just make the switch to GMail if CGR doesn't come up with a way to give members a way to make corrections to our errors when we write reviews on "the other side". For now tho I think I'll just let sleeping dogs lie and try hard to take a tad more time when writing a review and check it over several times before I hit that infamous "Post Review" bar. No need to hurry as I don't hurry for other other things in life unless I'm being called for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or someone offers me a cold beer..........:D

Thanks for the refresher info on this..............Terry...........(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.