Campground Reviews Gets a Spiffy New Look!

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Janet H, Dec 11, 2019.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Janet

Just wondering on the member profile pages is there any plans to add helpful reviews under the "All Activity" button or maybe some other place on the member profile page?

I think it would make a useful tool when checking on reviews on a specific member when considering a campground to stay at

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

That is an excellent idea. I would use that feature.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

A big thank you for going back to extending the list of recent campground reviews on the home page, I think it's a cornerstone for this site.

Just another 2 cents here maybe it would be a good idea to do the same on the state & provinces home pages also :cool:

Mike

BankShot, Paythebill, NYDutch and 2 others like this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I agree, just noticed that today and really like the longer list!

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  5. Hitch2go

Hitch2go
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate your explanation and your directions do work. I also appreciate the hard work you and others have done to keep and maintain the site. I have seen good sites just disappear. I do believe that there are some glitches that need to be worked out. For example, I did a search for El Portal, Ca which is just outside of Yosemite. Nothing showed specifically for that town. However, there is a campground called Indian Flat there that has reviews, including one that I submitted several years ago. You can find it if you search by campground name but not by city/town. Do you think this can be fixed. I realized it’s a huge database to maintain.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Tech Admin

Tech Admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That does show up when you search for El Portal, Ca. Sort the results by distance and you see it first.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll second that thank you and the suggestion..............:D

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  8. mariquita225

mariquita225
    Expand Collapse

Why are the graphics and text so freaking small? I had to magnify the page several times just to be able to read it. Totally pain in the bum if I have to readjust the page every time I check in then readjust back to normal when I log out. I'll never understand why no one can leave well enough alone. Most of the time these "updates" make things harder to navigate and/or totally pointless.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I don't know why, but I somehow missed your earlier reply (post #65), and I apologize that I did not get back to you until now, but I see Tech Admin addressed your concern. I just wanted to add that when I searched for El Portal, CA, I got 65 campgrounds listed, and Indian Flat was the first campground on the second page. Also when I first typed El Portal into the search box, a drop down box appeared that had Indian Flat listed in it. Clicking on it took me directly to that campground's listing. And Tech Admin's suggestion also worked for locating the campground.

There is no doubt the search engine on this system is different from the previous site. In many ways it is more powerful, but it can be a little tricky knowing how to use it to get the results you want. Until you (and everyone else) gets used to this new system, please let us know here in the forum or at our Help Desk (using the Contact link at the bottom of the page) if you have any other problems using the system or locating information, and we will be glad assist you.

Paythebill likes this.
  10. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I kept putting off my reply to your 1/17/20 response to my comments about not being able to say that a review is bad hoping to see some improvement. I find your opinion that negative comment about reviews "run afoul of the old adage: "if you can't say something nice..." childish at best. The whole idea of this site is to say what is "good" and what is "bad". I have seen hundreds of reviews on this site with substantial factual errors that are posted and even called helpful. If you only allow positive comments about reviews, how can you call this site "trustworthy"?

11. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We've working away at updates and improvements based on comments and input and there are more to come. I wanted to let you know about some of these however...

• City pages: parks are now displaying over on the left - once again the default sort is "distance form city center"
    • Map accidental scroll issues: In the next day or so you'll a change to the map behavior to limit map movement as you scroll down the page. You'll need to click on thee map to enable zooming and reentering.
    • Photo uploader - the edit functions are more robust allowing cropping, image rotation, etc.
    • Search - there have been many updates here and more tweaks to come but searches are more accurate and faster.
    • Recent reviews list on the home page: There is now pagination - you can click back and forth between pages more easily.
    • Issues with the order that reviews display in on specific park pages have been addressed and there are now filters to sort by date, rating, etc.
    • Page load speed are increasing

Thanks for your input and suggestions. we're still at it :)

Paythebill likes this.
  12. rncordy

rncordy
    Expand Collapse

This is my first post on CR. And I have not read the prior posts. But I am a long time RVParkReviews user and have been using the new format almost daily since Jan 5 this year. My bottom line is that I find the new version very difficult to navigate. It is very difficult to find small towns. Why dont I get a list of the cities with RV parks to select from, like the old version? Why can I not go to a city/town and get a list of the all the RV parks in and near there? For example we are in Wickenburg, AZ and finding the few parks in the area has been very difficult for me.

Bob

13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

rncordy and Paythebill like this.
  14. Norm B

Norm B
    Expand Collapse

Definitely not a fan of this new format. Weird to navigate.
    No actual pricing but "guess" what the number of dollar signs mean.
    Long ago I suggested pricing of RV sites, etc be listed by low price to high but never got a response.
    Being that this new format is so difficult to navigate I will be saying goodbye and now will be using RVParky and Campendium for my sources when planning our trips.
    Seems their pricing isn't too difficult to keep up and to include in their reporting.
    Goodbye

15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

So sad. A member for just over two years, one forum post and then says adios. And another one bites the dust. Well, guess all I can say to that is.......................Bye:(

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  16. rncordy

rncordy
    Expand Collapse

4 clicks and a scroll! After a single click on a state I'd prefer to immediately see the list of all cities/locations. I can live with the wasted clicks. It just seem sloppy to me.

Paythebill likes this.
  17. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for your input. Did you know that if you mouse over the $$ $$$ pricing that the key displays?
    You can also toggle back and forth between average rate and latest rate paid.

Average rate.jpg

Tracking rates for some parks can be a challenge as there are often deep discounts for seniors or those with various memberships so we offer both options. You can also see the actual price a reviewer paid as well as the site number they stayed in by reading their review. site cost.jpg

Attached Files:

Paythebill likes this.
  18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

How well would that single listing of all cities/locations display on smaller screens like tablets, etc?

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  19. rncordy

rncordy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, helpful info.

Paythebill likes this.
  20. The_Breeze

The_Breeze
    Expand Collapse

Would like to compliment the team on performance in conjunction with the updated look and feel.

Paythebill likes this.