"Attn Admins and/or Techs"

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Mar 5, 2020.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

For what reason/s would I allow CampgroundReviews to "access my location" when I sign in? Is there a benefit to doing this as my location is already listed with my Avatar? Please advise as "inquiring older minds" like mine need to know. Thanks..............:D

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Appropriate advertising me thinks..........

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  3. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

In a nutshell, Darrell has it correct. For example, on the main Reviews page, there's a section titled "Nearby Campgrounds".. With the site knowing your location, that section will display just that: campgrounds near you.

I don't know what shows there if you don't let the site know your location because I already told it YES. I would guess just random campgrounds.

Lori-

Paythebill likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    When I am not logged in that section "Nearby Camgrounds" still shows on the main Reviews page and in fact lists four nearby RV parks withing a short distance of my location, so I don't think that's what allowing CR to "access my location" is referring to? It's no big deal I was just curious if there was a benefit to doing so. If there turns out there is then I will be all means allow my "hidden digs" to be shown. Will wait to get a tad more clarification on this however. Thanks Darrell and Lori for the your responses...................

Terry...................(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

A lot of websites have that question on them. It is usually to get data for marketing purposes.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The site is using the location information provided by your PC, tablet, phone, etc to geolocate you whether you're logged in or not. Logging in just adds the ability to correlate your location with your account. The location you provided in your account info is irrelevant since it may not be current as you stay in various parks..

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Dutch. Correct me if I'm wrong but I am guessing, from you said, that by by allowing CR to access my location all that is happening is that when we travel we can be "tracked" and thus given info and the locations of nearby RV parks and campgrounds that we might want to check out and stay at, etc. Is that correct? If so then I should have figured that out for myself but the old noggin wasn't doing it's job properly I guess........:( Once again thanks to all who participated in this thread and assisted in getting old BankShot's brain back "on line" again.........:confused:

All the best, Terry

Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to work, Terry. The methods your devices use to geolocate you can be pretty imprecise though. PC's in particular, often use your Internet source to locate you, and that can be many miles away from your actual location. I'm about 30 miles south of Jacksonville, FL for instance, but when I'm using our AT&T hotspot, geolocation thinks I'm near Atlanta, GA. When I use our Verizon hotspot, it thinks I'm near Kansas City, MO. My phone uses GPS of course, so it get's it dead on near Keystone Heights, FL.

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. Tech Admin

Tech Admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It is so we can present campgrounds, reviews, pics, etc. near your location. If you don't give us permission, we try to guess as best we can by your IP address which is less accurate than your browsers response. It has nothing to do with advertising.

BankShot, NYDutch and Paythebill like this.
  10. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Me thinks Bankshot ate one to many apple fritters clouding his noggin.....:rolleyes:

NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I only ate three thank you very much Ronald......(aka Paythebill).....:D And all I got from it was a nice sugar high................:rolleyes: Three down, three to go............Yippee!!!

Reeguards, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

NYDutch and Paythebill like this.