Traveling with children

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by laychris, Feb 12, 2020.

1. laychris

laychris
    Expand Collapse

When I go camping by my car I always need something with what my children and wife will not be bored.
    My wife may listen the radio calmly. But that's a problem for my children.
    That's why I wanna buy a gadget or dvd player for car or something like that.
    I found a review for dvd players on jonsguide reviews. Trying to choose something.
    I think that is a good idea, because they will be watching cartoons and that will bring peace to our family trips, haha
    If someone has some ideas, please share, I will be thankful!

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi laychris and welcome to the forum. May I recommend you looking into getting each of the kids their own notebook or tablet. That way each of them can download their own specific apps or games that they each like and enjoy. I would think that would keep them occupied for a while. A dvd player would just force them to watch the same program or play the same game together. As for the wife, does she read and if so does she have and use an electronic reader? With a reader she would be able to do other things as well to keep her content while the road hours pass. Tough when camping in a smaller vehicle and especially a car but of course once you get to your destination, let the fun begin. This wasn't much to offer up but that's what we did years ago when we camped by car.................

Drive safe and have fun, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

3. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

There are some really inexpensive Android tablets, around $30. They work pretty well for just games or shows. I got one to let clients use, on which I downloaded a couple dozen games of all types.

How old are the children?

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Back in the late 1990s & early 2000s, my kids were young and needed some entertainment. At the time, we purchased a portable VHS player that plugged into the cigarette lighter. It kept the kids entertained, and they really didn't mind watching some movies repeatedly. These days, portable DVD players are plentiful and cheap. I'd suggest you get one or two with headphones.

We also got them some fold down tables that attached to the back of the seats that allowed them to color & draw pictures as they wanted.

For your wife, maybe look Into books on tape as well as her favorite music saved on her phone.

5. lianot

lianot
    Expand Collapse

I canceled all my trips due to coronavirus

6. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

I guess social distancing is difficult in most RVs, or in a giant motor home if there are more than a couple occupants. It would also not be good if someone got sick and quarantined while away from home.

7. FoldPV

FoldPV
    Expand Collapse

Everyone did the same!
    But I heard people can drive state to state If It is allowed!
    I hope that all this virus will give up soon, cause we have a lot of personal restriction :(

8. jason boland

jason boland
    Expand Collapse

I love to travel with my children...

9. Amanda L

Amanda L
    Expand Collapse

We have found that keeping a mixture of options for the kids works really well.

They each have a portable DVD player (and headphones). They can be purchased at Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc. Inexpensive. We keep DVDs in a DVD organizer. They pick one they want to watch, then switch it out/return when they are done. We usually have them decide between themselves which ones to bring, and we set a number based on the length of the trip.

Older child has an iPad; younger one can borrow mine.

They bring toys also. Barbies, toy cars, etc.
    They also bring old fashioned coloring books, except we bring color pencils instead of crayons since we live in a hot climate.

Fitzjohnfan likes this.
  10. jason boland

jason boland
    Expand Collapse

My usual tips:

Take a soft carrier (eg. Ergo) for the little one.

And/or a small umbrella stroller. Less IS more .....

I bring approx. 1 item/hour for the kids:

- wrap a few familiar toys from home as 'presents' for opening along the way .. always goes over well

- go to the dollar store for sticker books, crayons, wind up planes etc. for the novelty of new items that cost you next to nothing

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  11. ArthurHolo

ArthurHolo
    Expand Collapse

We have a Huawei tablet. It wasn't very expensive and works great for this purpose. I think it depends on the age of your children. It's obviously easier to give them cartoons or movies. But sometimes we prefer to play some trip games and activities to make our trip more interesting.