When leaving to go out to dinner do we have to worry about thief at Levi Jackson camping park?

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Earlene King Burton, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Earlene King Burton

Earlene King Burton
    Expand Collapse

Our first time here so I have my first question.When leaving the campground to go out to dinner do we have to worry about thief?Thank you

Paythebill likes this.
  2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum

Generally speaking, no

In the past we have had problems with our outside cooler stolen/broken into, this was at campgrounds with "lots of teenagers" Just don't leave expensive stuff outside while leaving for day trips or lock in up. For the most part we still don't lock up things like our lawn chairs, cooler, our weber grill but we do lock up our expensive hybrid bikes.

also read the reviews here or other sites, usually you will get "hints'' in the reviews that there could be problems, again nothing to loose sleep over just use common sence.

Mike

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have been camping for.......a long long time.......and all we have ever lost is one cooler with a few cans of beer in it. I look to see how many long term guests there are and how well they maintain their property. If it looks rough I put any thing of any value inside. Campers are still pretty honest.

Darrell

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

In the years we've been RVing we've never had a thing stolen or messed with and we have stayed in a couple of "questionable" parks along the way. I have to wonder however if that might be because of the 12 gauge double barreled sawed off shogun that stands beside my outdoor lounge chair, on display and visible for all to see who walk by............:rolleyes: On a serious note, we usually put anything of value inside when we leave the coach for an extended period of time. We figure if someone steals a chair or a small grill, etc. then they must need it more than us. But again that has never happened. As mdcamping (Mike) noted, "common sense" usually keeps this from happening in most all parks and campgrounds.....................

Regards, Bankshot...............(aka Terry)

#4 BankShot, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Paythebill and NYDutch like this.
  5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We basically do the same thing and haven't had any problems in ~10 years of full-timing.

6. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I've ever had stolen while camping, was stolen by a bear. I've left stuff in just a tent overnight. I would never go camping closer than two hours from where I live, because I live in a metropolitan area and there are a lot of sketchy people who I can imagine would have a field day at a campground where people are basically on the honor system.

Paythebill, NYDutch and BankShot like this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

In many, many years of camping and RV'ing the only things we've had stolen were taken by little thieves wearing masks and big thieves wearing bearskin coats... ;)

treesprite, Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

In 20 years of RVing (just trips, not fulltiming) we are not aware of anything we have had stolen, but we did keep our bikes chained up whenever we weren't riding them.

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Earlene King Burton

Earlene King Burton
    Expand Collapse

Thank you everyone for the information like you said we will use common sense

10. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I should add that we did have one serious theft recently. A furry tailed rodent stole some Lays potato chips from us a few weeks ago at Gold Head Branch State Park in Florida. In all fairness though, he really only stole the first one off the table. The other 3 or 4 were donated by my wife. Now if they had been my Utz Dark Russet chips, I would have called in the major crime squad! ;)

BankShot, Paythebill and treesprite like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Dutch - Being a west coaster we don't get them good spud chips out here but I've heard of them and know they are really tasty. Glad that little critter didn't grab them and had to be satisfied with the Lays brand. Stay safe, stay healthy and keep on traveling.down the road..............

All the best, Terry................(aka BankShot)

12. Violett

Violett
    Expand Collapse

I think you need to take valuables and documents with you or hide somewhere. But no one is safe from theft. They can kidnap in our presence.

Paythebill likes this.