Health concerns while traveling

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by treesprite, Mar 6, 2020.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Darrell - Sorry to hear all that you are having to go thru to get home. The main thing of course is to GET HOME, and do so safely and healthy. Hope the border crossing goes easily and quickly for you, keep us posted on your progress..............

All the best, Terry..............(aka BankShot)

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Truly a bummer, Darrell, that you have to eat all your Cajun food too soon. I'm with you on enjoying Louisiana cuisine. Love the Jambalaya and Gumbo.
    As far as gas goes, if the politician's hot air doesn't speed you along, guess you have no choice but to sneak into a gas station enroute to home. Safe travels home and stay warm.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Safe travels home Darrell, yeah I agree your type of traveling (and most Rvers) would be minimal risk.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Update: We crossed thew border yesterday but I could not reply because our Canadian Cell service provider had cut office staff to eliminate crowding. We could not get through. Finally were able to get our service re-activated today.

Anyway, The Canadian Border Services were awesome! It took us less than five minutes and that including waiting in the lineup that didn't exist. A young lady checked our passports, asked for the date we entered the US, asked how much money we spent, I handed her the receipts for the excess booze we were bringing back, She handed them back with our passports and said make sure you quarantine for 14 days. Have a safe trip!

This is the first time I have not paid duty on anything brought back. I smiled, shoved my jaw back into place and drove off.

I had heard stories that they would take your temp, have you tested etc. So much for media hype.

We are now in a "self imposed" 14 day quarantine.

Darrell

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Perhaps the Canadian Border Services figured you will be paying anyways with the 14 day quarantine. Stay safe and we will all get through this together.

6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

And best of all you can enjoy the duty free booze while in quarantine......:D:D

7. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Here in Australia its actually slowing we have gone from a 30% infection rate down to 3%. Currently we have 900 cases in Queensland with 2 deaths and the infection rate stabilised a few weeks ago to a point where we had on 30 confirmed cases in the last 24 hours. We are being told here that the rubber hits the road when recovery numbers overlap infection numbers the graphs show this is about 2 weeks off barring any massive spike.

Stay safe all of you.

The best news for us is USA March 2022 is officially a go!!! After all this we have decided that we want to do a good size trip back to our favourite destination.

8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I think March will be a good time to visit either of the planned trips. It heat and humidity should not be overly oppressive in Louisiana nor should it be too cool along the Pacific Northwest. Make sure you indulge in a Crayfish Boil. March is the best month for Crayfish.

Good to hear that you folks can possibly see the light at the end of the tunnel re COVID 19 !! We have two days left to serve completing our Mandatory Self Isolation. The only one that is finding it difficult is our dog Mimi. From eight to ten walks a day to just being able to stick her nose outdoors to complete what is necessary is not making her happy.

Darrell

9. The5goodwins

The5goodwins
    Expand Collapse

Stay safe you lot of reprobates....... Here in Australia we have recorded 25 positive cases for the last 24 hours..... that's across the whole country with zero here in Queensland for the 2nd day.

We are now at the point in Queensland where we are getting half the daily number of infections from 3 weeks ago as weekly numbers....wow

Also here is something interesting.....Because Australia has rolled out the flu shot they have found the following. April 2019 flu infections 8,000 cases...... April 2020 to date as of 22nd April 95 cases total....very interesting

I need to be able to chat to you lot and hopefully catch up with most of you over the next few years.

From my emergency services perspective just keep up the following;
    Wash your hands regularly (In my job I've now got dermatitis the stuff peels off the skin)
    Get the flu shot if you can (The next phase will involve massive doses of vitamin C and similar)
    Practice social distancing (When this is over if I ever hear those 2 word again ill scream)
    Enjoy a good bourbon or wine
    Light and sit around a fire (It solves everything)
    Look up and see the stars
    Plan for what you are going to do........ For us its Texas to Orlando followed by @BankShot to Yosemite and back to San Francisco.

Stay safe and make sure you watch the Chicago Bulls documentary on Netflix or ESPN its amazing.

Plus the Gronk just signed to go to Tampa Bay........wow

10. Amanda L

Amanda L
    Expand Collapse

We cancelled a trip to Tyler SP (East Texas) in mid-April.
    We do have some short trips booked for the summer. I'm hoping the curve stays flat enough to take those trips. With the exception of the metro areas, we have done okay in TX, and even the metro areas didn't get it as bad as projected. I guess the quarantine worked.

We have continued to self-quarantine for now, even though TX is starting to open up. We do grocery pick-up, and my husband goes into the stores early for what can't get filled in our online orders. We also do restaurant take-out. We wipe down groceries and restaurant food containers. We wash our hands well. We also wipe down surfaces.

When we have to get gas for vehicles, we use old plastic grocery bags as barriers, then just deposit them in the trash cans at the gas station when we're done. I also keep hand sanitizer (running low) and disinfecting wipes in my vehicle.

I have a medical condition that puts me in the risk category, so we are trying to make the wisest decisions we can make.

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  11. Goshawk

Goshawk
    Expand Collapse

its all made confusing by the vast variety of responses state by state. Michigan shut everything down until you are starving, then go back to work. Nebraska (meh! - whatever) lets all go back to restaurants now. Weirdness. And the testing is abysmal from the ARE YOU ACTIVE test, to the ANTIBODIES test all could be false. -- Just shelter for two weeks and avoid people to see if you get sick. Might get sick from lack of fresh vegetables.